Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 11: the other games. Interest level has been maintained.

Round 11: the other games. Interest level has been maintained.

Might have been something of a different intro if we had of lost last night and thus had no realistic chance of making the eight. Something along the lines of; if you want a intro, then you can write it yourselves. But no, our season is still alive and I'm still interested in the permutations of the other games.

First up is the Saints and the Hawks. Ladder wise, it'd be sort of nice if the Hawks could have a win and make the Saints a bit more reachable for us; but I don't really see that happening. Though thinking about it, I might have found a bright side to the limited free to air TV coverage up here. That is, with it not being televised, I won't be tempted to switch it on and actively barrack for Hawthorn.

Next up is the far more interesting clash between the Demons and the Dockers. The Demons are strong favourites at $1.33, but I don't know? Dockers have won their last three, while the Demons are coming off a loss and are without Oliver. One clash worth watching will be between Darcy and Gawn; both of whom have a claim to be the best ruckman in the competition. And as an aside, I do think that named side for the Dockers demonstrates just how silly the named sides can be. That is, they have Darcy starting as first ruck, which of course is fair enough, but they also have Jackson listed as a follower. I very much doubt, that Jackson will be starting in the centre square as a 199cm midfielder, when every bit of logic suggests that he'll be starting as tall forward, in order to keep either Lever or May occupied.

Next up the Cats host the Giants. It'd be nice if the Giants could pull a major upset in Greene's 200th game, but they've just added Himmelberg, Kelly and Haynes to their already lengthy injury list; so I can't really see that happening.

The first Saturday night game is between the Suns and the Bulldogs: a game that's probably worth watching just to check out the Darwin crowd, which often seems like another country, compared to the stadium's of the southern capitals. Reckon the Suns are a good chance of an upset here, and I love the way that Rowell and Anderson have been driving themselves around the field in the absence of Miller.

The other night game is the flightless Eagles hosting the Bombers. I suppose that for the sake of our ladder position, that I should be going for the Eagles. But I don't know? I'm sort of hoping that in the second week of Indigenous Round, that the significant percentage of obnoxious morons in the West Coast crowd, end up booing their own side as fervently as they used to boo Adam Goodes.

Sunday starts with the Tigers playing their first match of the post-Hardwick era against the Power. Will they be inspired? Will they be good enough, if inspired? Who knows?

Next up, the Magpie hype should continue to grow against the Roos.

And finally, the Crows host the Lions. A Lions win is probably better for our finals hopes, as they might be too far ahead for us to chase them down, while the Crows are definitely catchable.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks for starting this thread again, deja!

I'm still basking in the warmth of knocking off the grubs last night so am ambivalent about the results of most of the other games. Just really looking forward to watching some good games knowing that we've already banked a win this round!

However, I've got a soft spot for Melbourne and would like to see them prevail and would LOVE to see the Suns knock off the Poodles. Also interested in seeing how much booing Norf fans do tomorrow against another club that's proficient at it!

Looks like the ruck duel was a bit of a fizzer, with Darcy subbed out with a hamstring injury halfway through the second quarter. If only that happened when we played them.

Wees and Poos knocking off Saints is not good for our draft pick, but good for this seasons prospects if we were somehow to get on a roll in the second half of the season. Need the Suns to beat the Fairypuppies and we'd be only 2 games back from 5th.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Hawks beat the Saints!

And Freo beat Melbourne!!
    Last edited by Sandridge; 27th May 2023 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Wees and Poos knocking off Saints is not good for our draft pick, but good for this seasons prospects if we were somehow to get on a roll in the second half of the season. Need the Suns to beat the Fairypuppies and we'd be only 2 games back from 5th.
    I think that the Saints are very catchable. The wheels seem to be falling off now that they're getting players back. Very St Kilda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Hawks beat the Saints!

I thought the Dockers were gone when Darcy was subbed and didn't really pay much attention until I just checked the score. Very surprised.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Hawks beat the Saints!

Nice results.

If we didn't have those late capitulations against GWS and Port, both games we should have won, we'd only be % out of the top 4!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Nice results.

If we didn't have those late capitulations against GWS and Port, both games we should have won, we'd only be % out of the top 4!
    Would love to see GWS pip Geelong. The Cats actually have a really tough draw heading into the second part of the season as we do.
    If by magic GWS best them. After we take care of St Kilda we could overtake the Cats when we host them the following round.
    We can forget the last two maulings by the Cats once and for all

GWS are well placed at half time.... For a honourable loss.

If the Giants get over Geelong my tips this weekend are in the toilet. Only one so far is the Swannies match.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    If the Giants get over Geelong my tips this weekend are in the toilet. Only one so far is the Swannies match.
    Every year or two, there's a round of football that's full of upsets and it's torrid for the average tipster who feels fortunate if they get three correct out of nine. This week is shaping as one of them so far. If you get nine in such a round, you're either an idiot or a genius.

In current games, Geelong made a bit of a charge, but GWS leads by 12 at 3/4 time.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I think that the Saints are very catchable. The wheels seem to be falling off now that they're getting players back. Very St Kilda.

Down at GMHBA, the Giants may be causing an upset. 8 pts up late in the last term. Go Giants!

Oh wait....2 pts now.

Post edit: 8 pts again!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast