Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 12: the other games. They're all other games.

Round 12: the other games. They're all other games.

With a bye in the AFL, a bye in the VFL and our academy team having already played their last Talent League game, perhaps the closest we can get to something partisan, is the U18 game on Sunday, when the Allies play South Australia. Can't find anything to tell me what time it's on and if it's going to be streamed, but I'm sure something will appear on the AFL site some time before the game. Five of our players; Cleary, May, Rider, Gander and Kirk are in the squad. So hopefully they all get a decent amount of minutes.

Anyway, other games. Tonight's game is between Melbourne and Carlton. Most of the Carlton fans and many commentators, think that we ended their season last week, but I tend to believe that it's still too early to totally write off a side that's only six points out of the eight. So, in the interest of fairness, I think we should wait until Melbourne give them a sound thrashing, and then we can contemptuously dismiss that fetid zombie of a club.

The two Saturday afternoon games look like being one sided affairs: Port hosting Hawthorn and West Coast inflicting further misery on their own supporters, with their game against Collingwood. Though I have noticed that Collingwood is now at $1.04, when earlier in the week they were $1.03. So, it appears that there was at least some money being wagered on a West Coast win. If it was some of their own fans, I suppose you have to vaguely admire the optimism.

The two Saturday night games appear to be the most intriguing of the round. Firstly, the Western Bulldogs take on the Cats at Marvel. After the outcry about the beneficial umpiring that the Bulldogs received last week, it'll be interesting to see how they're umpired this week. Will their players descend into increasingly shell-shocked dismay, as the free kick count inexorably falls the way of the Cats? Will the Cats feel that they can get away with pretty well anything, and test that theory to its limits, by seeing how far they can hurl Cody Weightman into the Marvel stands? Or will it go the other way? That is, nothing wrong with how the Bulldogs have been umpired, and to prove that there was nothing wrong with the previous lopsided counts, there will be one of epic proportions on Saturday night. And of course, with Mathew Nichols as lead umpire, either extreme could easily be regarded as incompetence, rather than conspiracy. Another interesting thing about this clash, is a loss would be Geelong's fourth in a row and have them going into their bye at 5/7. Will that lead to a few claims of their season being gone??

Anyway, while that's going on, Gold Coast play Adelaide in Darwin. Having won both their NT games last season, the Suns will be keen to keep the streak going. After beating both the Dogs and the umpiring last week, they should have a good chance, against an Adelaide side that were also impressive in a win over Brisbane. Hopefully the prospect of a quality game will see a capacity crowd at TIO stadium.

The first Sunday game is the 14th placed GWS hosting the 15th placed Richmond. Which should be a much better game than the ladder positions suggest.

The final game of the round is Essendon and North. Essendon are short priced favourites and the large majority of their fans are probably expecting them to consolidate their place in the eight. But I'm not so sure? While North have lost quite a few in a row, it could be argued that their last couple of losses may have had more merit than Essendon's couple of recent wins. And if I recall correctly, this is the sort of game that Essendon teams of the last five seasons or so, seem to consistently lose.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Our Cygnets did a fantastic job of putting a huge dent in Carlton's final chances last round. An associated huge plus was that the Carlton management and supporters then started to tear each other apart!

Hoping like hell that the Demons build on our good work tonight!

Just realised that six of our players are in the Allies squad. I left out Cabor. The game starts at 11am Central time.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    All very funny.

I’ve been underwhelmed by Melbourne at times this year, but I hope they continue Carlton’s misery. And I’m a believer in the Suns talent, so hopefully they are winners.

But the best idea is a Weightman flinging competition. Bring it on.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    North Melbourne are an interesting team, they have lost a lot of games but have been more competitive than their ladder position suggests. They are more than capable of causing an upset against an opponent that takes them too lightly. On the other hand, Essendon are often the side that suffers inexplicable upset losses to bottom sides. Essendon vs Brisbane Lions 2017 is an example: Brisbane defeated Essendon away by 8 points, in a year when Brisbane finished on the bottom (with five wins) and Essendon made the finals. So don't be surprised if North upsets Essendon. Also don't be surprised if North gets hammered. It is North Melbourne, after all.

A Weightman flinging competition? Are the winning criteria based on distance or style? I hope the umpires are awake to Weightman's staging tactics this week (and when we play them). Wouldn't it be wonderful if he got no frees?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    A Weightman flinging competition? Are the winning criteria based on distance or style? I hope the umpires are awake to Weightman's staging tactics this week (and when we play them). Wouldn't it be wonderful if he got no frees?
    I think it should be based on the idea of the reaction of his hair, and the amount of contortion, aerodynamic turbulence and whiplash demonstrated. Despite him being a Dog, in all senses of the word, I’m not wishing harm on him, you understand. Just, does the effect of the flinging suggest a dramatic air flight and landing.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think it should be based on the idea of the reaction of his hair, and the amount of contortion, aerodynamic turbulence and whiplash demonstrated. Despite him being a Dog, in all senses of the word, I’m not wishing harm on him, you understand. Just, does the effect of the flinging suggest a dramatic air flight and landing.
    And one thing that the judges would have to take into careful consideration: in any of the flings, was a significant amount of the flinging done by Weightman himself?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And one thing that the judges would have to take into careful consideration: in any of the flings, was a significant amount of the flinging done by Weightman himself?
    Now we’re talking.

BTW, this Blues-Demons game is boring tripe.

The game certainly isn't "one for the ages" but Carlton's losing so I'm finding it highly entertaining. Keep it up, Dees!

Melbourne certainly nowhere near their sparkling best but still good enough to beat the Blues!

Let's sit back and enjoy another week of Carlton destroying itself!

Veterans List
    That was a dreadful game by two ordinary sides. A joy to watch Carlton get beat again but hell, Melbourne aren't a flag threat with that standard of game.

Once again I'm lamenting Sheldrick the pick before Van Royen as it's starting to look on a par with Milera the pick before Charlie Curnow

Might grab a glass of red and head over the the Blues BF board for a laugh

Meanwhile, Port is tearing Hawthorn a new one in Adelaide.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast