Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Rd 14 vs Brisbane Lions @ Gabba - Match Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Don't know....I was surprised when he was though. He was annoying but I thought the banishment was a bit harsh. Bangalore too....or did he banish himself? I'm not sure what happened there.
    Both of them were buggering up the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Not a bad idea Ludwig. He could be decent back there.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    No. That won't do. He has the capability to kick a bag. He is out of form ATM. But he is not a back

Sent from my CPH2471 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    No. That won't do. He has the capability to kick a bag. He is out of form ATM. But he is not a back

Sent from my CPH2471 using Tapatalk
    Agreed- plus where would you fit him in? Wilbur needs to have a good look at himself and lift his game and put himself about a lot more. Horse kept picking him in his early days and we couldn’t understand why. It seems he’s a favourite and now our selectors have to get tough with an experienced player who is not contributing as much as he should. Young player like Errol puts him to shame! Come on Wilbur- up your game or play in the two’s.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Where's our old mate "The Bloods". He called Gus Sheldrick right from the start. He had 19 disposals and 2 goals in only 55% of game time. He has to keep his place. He has really good anticipation, game sense, disposal and goes straight at the footy.
    Amartey might be a good forward option with his marking talents, but he is the best example of a ruck resting forward. He always impresses me when he goes on the ball. In the last quarter he played with real authority.
    These are two very big positives to come out of the game. Sheldrick confirming the hype and Amartey looking very comfortable in his role and in form.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Much better effort - still lacked polish but fabulous intent and effort against a very good team. Loved Gus Sheldrick's 3rd qr, hope he gets the chance to show us more of the same.

AFL umpiring continues to push me to the brink of despair. The Florent decision was so obviously wrong that one can only assume the umpire involved doesn't understand the rules. How did we get to this point?
    Watch a GF from the 1970s with one umpire officiating. Totally different game. Tackling to the ground a rarity or penalised. Very simple and ruthless enforcement of the rules.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Agreed- plus where would you fit him in? Wilbur needs to have a good look at himself and lift his game and put himself about a lot more. Horse kept picking him in his early days and we couldn’t understand why. It seems he’s a favourite and now our selectors have to get tough with an experienced player who is not contributing as much as he should. Young player like Errol puts him to shame! Come on Wilbur- up your game or play in the two’s.
    I noticed a lot of criticism about Hayward this week. I watched the replay of the 1st quarter and couldn't find anything in particular to be critical about. He seemed to be covered by Brandon Starcevich, who had only 4 disposals and 1 mark for the game. Before I review the rest of the game, perhaps someone could point out to me some specifics I should look out for concerning Hayward.

Something missing from the dialogue this week are the calls to drop Cunningham, which had been persistent for weeks. What happened there? They seemed to have dried up.

Senior Player
    There are too many too harsh on Hayward. Looked like he played full forward in the last quarter. Whilst there, kicked 1.1 and had a hand in another goal. In his up and down the ground role, we don't play through him up forward. When we do, he always looks dangerous.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I noticed a lot of criticism about Hayward this week. I watched the replay of the 1st quarter and couldn't find anything in particular to be critical about. He seemed to be covered by Brandon Starcevich, who had only 4 disposals and 1 mark for the game. Before I review the rest of the game, perhaps someone could point out to me some specifics I should look out for concerning Hayward.

Something missing from the dialogue this week are the calls to drop Cunningham, which had been persistent for weeks. What happened there? They seemed to have dried up.
    As someone who has been happy to defend Hayward, and recognise the selfless, valuable role he often plays, I have been 'slightly' disappointed by his last stretch - bar the game against Carlton where he was excellent.

It's hard to know how much a player like him is suffering from the breakdown in our structure and rhythm given the dislocation in our team with injuries, so I've cut him some slack. For example, one thing he did superbly in our run home last year was take on the marking role between the arcs. Now, he's done that in some games this year, but not consistently. Is that a function of unreliable ball movement, or patchy from from him, who knows?. And his goal kicking has been a bit off.

He still seems to be one of our few power runners, he does attack contests for a slight bloke, and as I said, he occasionally has a good marking day - but I think he should look at that Carlton game as the standard he should set.

As for Harry, I never understood those calls either. He's just a terrific team man and small defender - and without him, or Fox on occasions, playing that role, Ollie would be stuck playing lockdown, rather than having some license to run.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Harry was injured for a large of last year, then couldn’t get back in to a team that was flying.
    He’s a part of the leadership group. The club appreciates him, and it seems they have played him elsewhere to try and provide a bit experience in areas where we’ve been lacking this season. Of course, that’s only the observations of a supporter. Like all the other observations on this site.
    My original post commended HarryC on a great game and questioned the clubs appreciation of the lockdown small defender role, and their enthusiasm for the attacking small defender. Somehow it bacame all about my failure to understand the clubs appreciation of HarryC.
    How on earth did you manage that, talk about intellectual gymnastics, even the East German judge would be impressed with that twist. More importantly, how did you get me to follow you down that path. I must be getting silly in my dotage.

I still haven't knocked HarryC, but on your issue of he clubs appreciation of him - Wasn't there a delay in recontracting him in the offseason? It's not exactly a conventional demonstration of appreciation.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th June 2023 at 06:55 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I see the Swans have accepted the 2 match ban on Sam Wicks.

I would have appealed to see if we could get it up to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    My original post commended HarryC on a great game and questioned the clubs appreciation of the lockdown small defender role, and their enthusiasm for the attacking small defender. Somehow it bacame all about my failure to understand the clubs appreciation of HarryC.
    How on earth did you manage that, talk about intellectual gymnastics, even the East German judge would be impressed with that twist. More importantly, how did you get me to follow you down that path. I must be getting silly in my dotage.

I still haven't knocked HarryC, but on your issue of he clubs appreciation of him - Wasn't there a delay in recontracting him in the offseason? It's not exactly a conventional demonstration of appreciation.
    Wow! Not sure how this ire has been provoked. But anyway, this forum has become full of irascible nonsense lately. Time to give it away, I think. See ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Wow! Not sure how this ire has been provoked. But anyway, this forum has become full of irascible nonsense lately. Time to give it away, I think. See ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pity. One of the more rational posters. A few others have dropped off as well.