Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vale Graeme John

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Vale Graeme John, Swans great and former AFL Commissioner (afl.com.au)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Fun Fact: The coach of Geelong was Graham Farmer, who was a teammate of John's at East Perth.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Vale Graeme John, Swans great and former AFL Commissioner (afl.com.au)

- - - Updated - - -

Fun Fact: The coach of Geelong was Graham Farmer, who was a teammate of John's at East Perth.
    Remembering Graeme John at the Lakeside Oval. An exciting player and a great mark. A terrific bloke as well.
    Sad to hear of his passing😒

Veterans List
    For someone I have only a passing knowledge of, he has quite the most amazing resume. I struggle to think of anyone in Australian sport, let alone in Aussie Rules, who had a similar record across two states in playing, coaching and administration and then goes on to have a stellar business career in the manner that John did. And apparently lovely company to be around too! My Perth bias showing but the likes of Mike Fitzpatrick, Herb Elliott and Barry Shepherd spring to mind, but John is hardly mentioned in that sort of company!

What an exceptional man.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    For someone I have only a passing knowledge of, he has quite the most amazing resume. I struggle to think of anyone in Australian sport, let alone in Aussie Rules, who had a similar record across two states in playing, coaching and administration and then goes on to have a stellar business career in the manner that John did. And apparently lovely company to be around too! My Perth bias showing but the likes of Mike Fitzpatrick, Herb Elliott and Barry Shepherd spring to mind, but John is hardly mentioned in that sort of company!

What an exceptional man.
    Way before my time, but as you say giant - reading a little bit about him tonight, had an amazing life, both as part of our footy club, but also more widely.

RIP.

Veterans List
    And not the least joy of a thread like this is hearing old Souths fans like KSAS and Sandridge share cherished Lakeside memories. Brilliant, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Feel like a bit of a dill, KSAS.

Just spent some time searching the internet for that photo, only to subsequently find I've got it in 2 books! "Honour the Names" is the book about our club's nominees for the Team of the Century and "In the Blood" is a history of our club. The photo you're talking about is in both books. Am happy to send you a copy if you'd like it but I'm technologically challenged and you'd have to tell me how best to do it.
    No mate, I'm the bigger dill!!! Thanks to your post, realized i also have copy of the book "IN MY BLOOD" and there on page 238 is that photo. It explains where i've seen that photo!!! Also a thankyou to Ruck n Roll for his kind gesture to offer sending me digital copy of that photo, before realizing i had it all along!

Senior Player
    Legend of the club IMHO. Very good player - even Greater person. A pity both he and his son had their careers curtailed by injury.

BTW the game at Geelong mentioned earlier I was there - I reckon Wilson kicked a point 30 seconds before the siren went. A bloody long time ago so my memory may be faulty.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post

What an exceptional man.
    Please don't draw a parallel between John and the steaming turd you've mentioned in your penultimate sentence. GJ was a quality human being. The other may have been a ruckman, but also a moral pygmy.

PS: I like Herb Elliott and Barry Shepherd.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12