Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: the other games. Injuries; well, they do make a difference.

Round 16: the other games. Injuries; well, they do make a difference.

Probably just stating the obvious here, but I think the first and last games of the round do demonstrate just what a difference a fit list makes. Tonight sees Brisbane warm favourites to beat a Richmond side that have been quietly resurrecting their season. Now, not that I really wish ill will on to Brisbane, but yet again they have been sailing through the season with hardly any injuries. I mean, their current injury list of five players, is almost the worst I've seen it in the last few seasons. Consequently, their place in the eight seems assured, some people highly rate their premiership chances and nobody is calling for the coach to be sacked. Contrast that to the last game of the round. where pretty well no one thinks that West Coast will beat St Kilda. Not even after the public flogging that the whole organisation has copped throughout the week. Almost everybody who's voiced an opinion, seems to think that premiership coach Adam Simpson is a clueless plodder, that others in their management are just as incompetent and the players are soulless time-servers. But I suspect that the major problem was that they only had 26 fit (or fit-ish) players to choose from. And it's been much the same for at least the last couple of seasons.

And I'm curious, if there's actually been much difference in the way that the respective clubs have gone about their fitness and injury management? Has Brisbane been running a successful experiment, with methods that are bit more advanced than the rest of the competition? Or are their methods much the same and they've just been extraordinarily lucky? Alternatively, have West Coast been fundamentally incompetent with their fitness programs, or have they been spectacularly unlucky? While I suspect that there's some differences from club to club, I think it's likely that the people in charge of each club's programs are all highly qualified professionals, with much the same education and similar ideas. So, maybe luck has been more of a factor? Actually, if anyone is knowledgeable about what the clubs actually do, I'd be interested to hear.

Brisbane starting to make a mess of Richmond.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Let's hope that the Tigers are smashed and that they're so demoralized that it takes them at least a week to get over it!

Tigers doing a passable impersonation of the West Coast Eagles at the moment. Without being pressured, they've kicked the ball out on the full 3 times this quarter.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 29th June 2023 at 09:27 PM.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Given how thoroughly Brisbane is mauling Richmond, our 16-point loss to Brisbane at their Gabba fortress two weeks ago is starting to look like a solid effort.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I just don't think Richmond's plan to recruit GWS's 'B' midfield was a good idea.

Senior Player
    Fremantle take the lead by 2 points a couple of minutes into the last quarter, then it is 7 goals to 1 in the Bulldogs favour after that. Wow!

Jamie Elliot just kicked a quirky little contender for goal of the year.

Collingwood are looking disturbingly good.

Veterans List
    Pies giving the Suns a right touch up. 48 pts up before half time, Suns yet to kick a goal.

I've been a fan of Stewie dew until now, but that's a shocking game plan to take into a pies game: Bomb it to Moore, and then let them rebound for a goal

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I'm enjoying the Bombers-Port match, five-point Port lead, five minutes to go.

I'm quietly hoping the curse of the bye hits Port as well.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    I don't like Essendon or their sooking booing fans....I'm pretty happy at the moment.

Hilarious finish to this game.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast