Thread: 50 Years Ago Today

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

50 Years Ago Today

Today is the 50th anniversary of my most treasured South Melbourne win!

And the recent passing of Graeme John makes it even more significant for me.

On this day in 1973, the Bloods broke a 29-game losing streak by beating Geelong at the Lake Oval, South Melbourne.
    I was 16 years old and at the game and it was just the most magnificent feeling. It’s a cliché to say it was just like winning a Grand Final but it felt that way at the time. (It was another long 32 years before we found out what winning a Grand Final really feels like!)

In those days, spectators were allowed on the ground after the game. In fact, you were actually allowed to jump the fence and stand on the sideline of the ground before the game ended! There was barely 10,000 people at the game but I reckon most of those were on the ground celebrating after the final siren blew. Coach Graeme John was mobbed by the crowd as he made his way across the ground from the Coaches Box to the rooms and some Bloods supporters were in tears.

A game and a feeling I will never forget!

Were any other RWOers there that day?

GO BLOODS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Today is the 50th anniversary of my most treasured South Melbourne win!

And the recent passing of Graeme John makes it even more significant for me.

On this day in 1973, the Bloods broke a 29-game losing streak by beating Geelong at the Lake Oval, South Melbourne.
    I was 16 years old and at the game and it was just the most magnificent feeling. It’s a cliché to say it was just like winning a Grand Final but it felt that way at the time. (It was another long 32 years before we found out what winning a Grand Final really feels like!)

In those days, spectators were allowed on the ground after the game. In fact, you were actually allowed to jump the fence and stand on the sideline of the ground before the game ended! There was barely 10,000 people at the game but I reckon most of those were on the ground celebrating after the final siren blew. Coach Graeme John was mobbed by the crowd as he made his way across the ground from the Coaches Box to the rooms and some Bloods supporters were in tears.

A game and a feeling I will never forget!

Were any other RWOers there that day?

GO BLOODS!
    yes I was there and managed to get into the rooms after the game. We didn't have much to celebrate in those days so every victory was special. Cheer Cheer

Senior Player
    I was also there. Like we won the GF!

Great memory Sandridge & 111431 for getting into the rooms. I was 12 years old at the time & had begun regularly going to home games, living within walking distance of the Lakeside Oval. Witnessed so many losses & any win did feel like a premiership back then.

On that particular day I do recall running onto the ground after the siren & the players being swarmed like rock stars. Mini version of the ground invasion when Buddy kicked his 1000th last year.

They seemed like golden gladiators to this young impressionable kid & remember patting Gary Bryce on his sweaty arms to see he was still human! What etched in my memory was seeing a young teenage girl embracing Peter Bedford and not letting go, being almost dragged along as he made his way off the ground.

There is a clip of the post game celebrations in the clubs room at the 4:43min mark, taken from the Sensational Seventies (1973) video:
    AFL-VFL-Glory Days-1973 - YouTube

P.S. There is also a clip at 2:50min showing a fight between South & Fitzroy players at the Lakeside Oval. John Pitura was reported.

P.P.S The club also lost 27 games in a row between the 1992-93 seasons, almost going under.