Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Let prejudice reign.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Dockers seem to have too much list turnover year on year. Must be destabilising.
    Am going to the Dockers match with a mate in two weeks (he is a member) and TBH, I am a bit worried about how awful the game might be from both sides.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    And the Suns have just sacked Dew. There'll be a clamour to get hold of that list among potential coaches. Then again, you're attaching yourself to a club that has just never got it right off field.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    And the Suns have just sacked Dew. There'll be a clamour to get hold of that list among potential coaches. Then again, you're attaching yourself to a club that has just never got it right off field.
    I don't often agree with Barrett but he's spot on here:

BARRETT: One man takes blame of many as Gold Coast Suns follow St Kilda Saints playbook

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Absolutely. The weight some clubs place on senior coaches often being the sole problem - when it can also often be traced back to poor drafting and recruitment, player development, etc - is amazing. I suspect it’s a large part of what separates the best clubs from the rest.

In this case, a bloke whose been on the Board since the club’s inceptions and all its failures, and a CEO who originally signed the coach and extended his contract last year, go pfft, look over there. Dew may or may not have been a good coach, but the idea sacking him fixes everything is a nonsense.

Whenever I watch stuff like this I’m just glad we have a stable, calm, professional club from the Board down.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Absolutely. The weight some clubs place on senior coaches often being the sole problem - when it can also often be traced back to poor drafting and recruitment, player development, etc - is amazing. I suspect it’s a large part of what separates the best clubs from the rest.

In this case, a bloke whose been on the Board since the club’s inceptions and all its failures, and a CEO who originally signed the coach and extended his contract last year, go pfft, look over there. Dew may or may not have been a good coach, but the idea sacking him fixes everything is a nonsense.

Whenever I watch stuff like this I’m just glad we have a stable, calm, professional club from the Board down.
    +1 !!

Senior Player
    I wrote a post a few years ago wondering out loud why Gold Coast have never progressed much from year to year. I think I wrote something like: their coaches aren't nobodies, their list isn't terrible, I've seen them play well - often against the Swans! Yet they never seem to...go anywhere?

I could write the same today. Still wondering.

Senior Player
    Thoughtful post. It is such a cut throat competition.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I wrote a post a few years ago wondering out loud why Gold Coast have never progressed much from year to year. I think I wrote something like: their coaches aren't nobodies, their list isn't terrible, I've seen them play well - often against the Swans! Yet they never seem to...go anywhere?

I could write the same today. Still wondering.
    As someone who pays a reasonable amount of attention to the Suns, this is probably the first year that their season hasn't been cruelled by an extensive injury toll. So, maybe that was what finished Dew off? That is, you had excuses previously, but this year there's no excuses and we still look like missing the finals.

Senior Player
    The Giants (4 final series in 11 seasons, a number of wins in finals, a GF, still in the hunt this year) have done so much better than
    the Suns. Stewie, as much as many of us have a soft spot for him, has probably lasted longer than was expected. The regular
    capitulations speak of a lack of fight and that's a thing coaches are expected to instill in their team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12