Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk about Ollie

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Let’s talk about Ollie

So, let me be clear. I don’t want to turn this into a Rowbottom style thread. I’m not necessarily suggesting trading Ollie. And feel free to tell me I’m wrong. But …

I’ve posted a couple of times on Ollie. Because I’m a bit frustrated.

So, to his credit, he does some things right. He covers a lot of ground - and I mean a lot. When he’s in form, his 30-40m foot skills are terrific. He has some dash away from a contest. And in his defence, he seems to be asked to play a lot of different positions.

I’d just like to see more of his upside. Occasionally, he can be lacking defensively - failing to truly follow his man back. I said above his foot skills CAN be terrific but they can be variable (or tonight, poor). He has lots of 15-20 possession games, and he’s not shown a clearance game.

If I look at Ollie, I want him to be a Shane Edwards. But he’s not there. With all our young players coming through, the competition for spots is on. So, over to you all
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    They say every player is coachable, so why hasn't his incessant faults of trying to run through a pack of opposition players and not taking the first option been coached out of him. He gets a lot of footy but undoes his good play with the same mistakes weekly.

I think he has loads of talent. However, he has a tendency to try to do too much. This can be worked on. I see him as part of our group of young guns who all seem to be great friends. Keep him unless he wants some outrageous contract.

Key advantage that he has is his right foot.

The other emerging midfielders we have such as Campbell, Stephens, Gulden, Dawson and sometimes Blakey are left footers. They all look like they were born to play the left wing.

Little less competition on the right wing (J-Mac, Lloyd). J-Mac and Lloyd probably look more comfortable at half back leaving Florent to take that right wing spot.

I like him as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Key advantage that he has is his right foot.

The other emerging midfielders we have such as Campbell, Stephens, Gulden, Dawson and sometimes Blakey are left footers. They all look like they were born to play the left wing.

Little less competition on the right wing (J-Mac, Lloyd). J-Mac and Lloyd probably look more comfortable at half back leaving Florent to take that right wing spot.

I like him as a player.
    You are sounding like a soccer coach rather than AFL.

Senior Player
    I think his ambitions override his ability on occasions but he is not really built to break packs however our game style does seem to encourage playing on instinct where possible so he has probably embraced that.
    He has played every game this year and is fairly consistent each week to my eye. Yes he does turn the ball over on occasions however he usually does deliver the ball well and gains plenty of metres each week.
    Possibly hasn’t come on and taken the next step up as many of us hoped he would based on his first season or two but he is still only 23 so that progression is still possible. I would like to think he can but if it doesn’t happen in the next year or two it wouldn’t surprise if he did finish his career in a different jumper.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I like him as a player too, but it needs to be more than he can offset our abundance of left footers.

I think what I’m getting at with him is impact. I look at his draft compatriot, Hayward. Now he’s no superstar. But he had some deficiencies in his game and went away to work on them. He’s not a high possession player, but he’s found a clear role and way to make a difference for our team. He plays as a good third tall, takes marks and makes marking contests up the ground and in the F50, is a terrific goal kicker and applies defensive pressure.

I look at Ollie and want him to have impact.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I like him as a player too, but it needs to be more than he can offset our abundance of left footers.

I think what I’m getting at with him is impact. I look at his draft compatriot, Hayward. Now he’s no superstar. But he had some deficiencies in his game and went away to work on them. He’s not a high possession player, but he’s found a clear role and way to make a difference for our team. He plays as a good third tall, takes marks and makes marking contests up the ground and in the F50, is a terrific goal kicker and applies defensive pressure.

I look at Ollie and want him to have impact.
    Does turn it over a bit but has big tank and often puts in very good last quarter in tight games. Best 22 for sure.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Does turn it over a bit but has big tank and often puts in very good last quarter in tight games. Best 22 for sure.
    I think he is right now too. As I said, I’m trying to be rational about this and not start a slugfest.

Here’s my query on him though: with an emerging midfield mix of Parker, Mills, Heeney, Chad, JMac, Rowbottom, Gulden, Hewett, Dawson, potentially Stephens and Campbell, even Blakey at times - over the next three to five years (and then allow for what is yet to emerge), where does he rank? At his best, he’s best 22 still. I just think he needs to do more, more often to retain the ranking.

Ollie is going ok. He's a solid contributer but unlikely to be a star. I would have him behind JMac and Dawson and within the next 12 months, Gulden and Campbell as an option on the wing. So agree that if his contract demands reasonable, keep for sure but if a club was to offer him overs or he wants out, then c'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think he is right now too. As I said, I’m trying to be rational about this and not start a slugfest.

Here’s my query on him though: with an emerging midfield mix of Parker, Mills, Heeney, Chad, JMac, Rowbottom, Gulden, Hewett, Dawson, potentially Stephens and Campbell, even Blakey at times - over the next three to five years (and then allow for what is yet to emerge), where does he rank? At his best, he’s best 22 still. I just think he needs to do more, more often to retain the ranking.
    Ollie can do some really good things- at times he seems to have a lot of space, while at others he tries to do a bit too much and gets caught. My main issue with him is his kicking- he tends to overcook it a lot. If he could keep it flatter it would make it easier for his teammates and then he would be so much more effective. Still, he’s best 22.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Ollie is going ok. He's a solid contributor but unlikely to be a star.
    I would respectfully disagree - he is the opposite of solid. He has the ability to play exceptionally well - for example his game against Geelong, but can stink it up as well, sometimes all in the same game. I think that is why he is so frustrating. At this stage I would have him in the best 22, but if he doesn't find more consistency others may go past him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast