Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rnd19 - vs Fremantle at Optus Stadium, 22 July at 5:40 PM local (7:40 PM AEST)

Wicks got chosen for praise by the Mongrel Punt this week for his tackling, running in support of teammates and general defensive work.

Sydney v Western Bulldogs - Mongrel Talking Points - The Mongrel Punt

As Barracuda says, Richmond won their premierships off the work of pressure forwards like Wicks.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Twittersphere going ape droppings claiming Swans are a protected species. Have to laugh.
    The Buddy, Parker and Wicks suspensions would suggest otherwise.

I'm glad I don't have Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Wicks got chosen for praise by the Mongrel Punt this week for his tackling, running in support of teammates and general defensive work.

As Barracuda says, Richmond won their premierships off the work of pressure forwards like Wicks.
    No doubting he played ok but im just not laying out the red carpet for him being a pressure fwd

This year he has laid 17 tackles in 4 games, 8 on the weekend. Lets not pretend he is always unsung and working his but off.

He is still currently better known to the average Swan supporter as a undisciplined momentum changer who doesnt make the most of his chances in front of goal, happy to be proven wrong but that where i see it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Reasonably ok? Try played very well and destroyed Bailey Dale after half time. I also get to talk to swans coaches and staff pretty regularly and I assure you not one of them thinks he is only VFL level. I was in the change rooms immediately after the game and his team mates and coaches were all over him. In addition to his defensive work, tackling and structural play his contested ball wins and quick usage is elite. Further he is honing his aggression and playing on the edge even better. I think you have a set against him. Or you don't know what you are talking about.
    You are entitled to that opinion barracuda. The stats that waswan brings tell a slightly different story. However, it is fair to say that some of his defensive pressure work is not seen on TV and unfortunately I only watch our games on the screen. Nevertheless, he has given away some silly and costly frees in the past and we all hope that he has learned his lesson.

His teammates I’m sure are supportive, as they would be of every player. I assure you I don’t have a set against him or any Swan. I’m sure Horse has given him a role to play, as he would with everyone. What I’m saying is that apart from a few good games, and I don’t think I’ve missed watching a game since he’s been playing, his contribution as a forward has been below par. Wilbur for example is inconsistent but is a far better mark and usually contributes more. I simply want Wicks to contribute more and not just run around which virtually anyone can do, hence my current evaluation of him as no better than VFL level.

You then compare him with Richmond’s Constanga- please barracuda, chalk and cheese!
    Bottom line: I sincerely hope that Sam Wicks remains in the team as long as he contributes consistently at a level befitting an AFL player.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    No doubting he played ok but im just not laying out the red carpet for him being a pressure fwd

This year he has laid 17 tackles in 4 games, 8 on the weekend. Lets not pretend he is always unsung and working his but off.

He is still currently better known to the average Swan supporter as a undisciplined momentum changer who doesnt make the most of his chances in front of goal, happy to be proven wrong but that where i see it at the moment.
    Agree with that. He lets the team down, but he also lets himself down in that when he does one of his indiscretions he sets back his career. It appears to me that the club likes him. He had 8 tackles out of 22 tackles inside 50. 22 was the highest of any club in the round and is pretty darn good. It has been a long time coming as we have been letting teams run the ball from our forward too easy for a long time. If Sam does that every week then he keeps his spot.
    Last edited by Nico; 20th July 2023 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Agree with that. He lets the team down, but he also lets himself down in that when he does one of his indiscretions he sets back his career. It appears to me that the club likes him. He had 8 tackles out of 22 tackles inside 50. 22 was the highest of any club in the round and is pretty darn good. It has been a long time coming as we have been letting teams run the ball from our forward too easy for a long time. If Sam does that every week then he keeps his spot.
    Spot on Nico- his game last week was his best for quite a while. As long as he assists consistently I’m happy for him to stay in the team. Just don’t want him ( or anyone else) to be a passenger or worse still, a liability giving away silly frees.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Spot on Nico- his game last week was his best for quite a while. As long as he assists consistently I’m happy for him to stay in the team. Just don’t want him ( or anyone else) to be a passenger or worse still, a liability giving away silly frees.
    Also noticed he was more focused on team work rather than his own individual efforts. Maybe the penny has dropped.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Wicks is doing my head in. Having defended him for so long, I posted on here the last couple of weeks I’d lost faith in him and was nervous about his return - then he goes and does that, playing the sort of game he was playing in 2021. Pick one will ya Sammy. Preferably the good one, because as Barracuda says, it’s a structurally crucial role and I reckon he *can* play it well.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Wicks is doing my head in. Having defended him for so long, I posted on here the last couple of weeks I’d lost faith in him and was nervous about his return - then he goes and does that, playing the sort of game he was playing in 2021. Pick one will ya Sammy. Preferably the good one, because as Barracuda says, it’s a structurally crucial role and I reckon he *can* play it well.
    Agreed. He has the tools and can be an awesome role player. I feel a little the same way about Hayward. I hope he can get his goal kicking back because he plays an unheralded, important role too.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Wow! the Mongrel really hops into the commentators for their Bontempelli - love!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Wow! the Mongrel really hops into the commentators for their Bontempelli - love!
    Yes, very happy to read that

- - - Updated - - -

By the way as predicted Warner and Lloyd for Warner and Pelican

Senior Player
    So what does that say about Hickey?

A few on here saying he is cooked.

Thought that we might have an advantage in the ruck this week without Darcy and it would be a good game for him, Ladhams or McAndrew but nope…

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast