Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 20: the other games. Is there life on Mars?

Senior Player
    Glad we aren't getting TDK. Butterfingers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Glad we aren't getting TDK. Butterfingers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    The price tag they were quoting earlier in the year was just lunacy

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’ve tipped Carlton tonight, probably the dumbest idea ever but …
    Mark, yesterday i gave you some compelling reasons why Carlton couldn't beat Collingwood. I just watched the game at Ludwig's digs and am currently tucking into a large helping of spicy humble pie, Thai style.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    The Saints, 1 premiership since 1873. They have only played in 6 Grand Finals & have 26 Wooden Spoons.

I forgot to mention they failed to win a premiership in the VFA. Had very few finals chances in their history, 11 in total. This is an abysmal record for any club. How they managed to talk themselves into the original VFL is beyond me.
    Here is one possible reason:

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Not that there's any hard and fast rule that says that you can't have a 19th team indefinitely, but overwhelmingly, even numbered competitions are preferred.
    Six clubs broke away from the VFA in 1896: Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne and South Melbourne. Carlton were invited to join because they had a decent home ground. St Kilda? Probably so they had two teams south of the Yarra, but I suspect a consideration was having an even number of teams.

After University left the competition after 1914, the competition had nine teams, but some were in recess until 1919 due the the war, so the odd number wasn't felt. After six years of nine teams, the desire for an even number of teams was the reason why Footscray, Hawthorn and North Melbourne were invited to join in 1924, with the first season 1925. Originally the VFL was only going to invite Footscray, but Hawthorn and North Melbourne were included as well. This was perhaps a mistake IMO, as the fixture for 12 teams was mostly an unbalanced one over 18 rounds for decades, and a complete 22-round season wasn't introduced until 1972.

An odd number of teams is always awkward due to the byes. I have previously demonstrated an arrangement where every team of a 19-team competition had two byes in a 21-round season and played other teams only once. However, there will be a strong incentive to make the numbers even. This will most likely be the introduction of a 20th team.

Where would a 20th team be based? My guess is northern Australia, with a team that I call the "Northern Australian Rovers": a team with no fixed home ground, but plays its home games in northern Queensland (Cairns) and the Northern Territory (Darwin and Adelaide). "Rovers" has a double meaning here: it's a playing position, and is also occasionally used for a team without a fixed home ground. I expect the AFL would meet some of the cost of fielding such a team.

Another possibility is as Deja suggested, a team that plays out of the ACT. The problem with a Canberra team is finding a good nickname because many good ones are already taken.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Mark, yesterday i gave you some compelling reasons why Carlton couldn't beat Collingwood. I just watched the game at Ludwig's digs and am currently tucking into a large helping of spicy humble pie, Thai style.
    Ha ha, thanks Nico, I was looking for your original post to gently remind you of it!

I scoured the "experts" trying to find anyone that would tip Carlton, and couldn't find anyone else that would. Some even said they were waiting for them to take a "genuine scalp" despite them smashing Port 2 weeks ago. I think they and GW$ are the two who will definitely make the 8 and could do some damage, which means there's probably only the Saints and possibly the Doggies spots up for grabs.

Stating the obvious, but winning this week and next pretty essential if we are to have any chance. I have tipped the Hawks and GW$ this week.

Thunder Shaker, I think you meant to say the Northern Territory games played in Darwin and Alice Springs (not Adelaide).

In regards to Victorian Teams merging, over the decades there has been pushes by the VFL/AFL which never eventuated due to the emotion & paracholism involved. I can't see it ever being put on the agenda again.

I recall back in the 80's talk of North & Melbourne merging (North Melbourne!). Then the famous collapses of the North/Footscray and Hawthorrn/Melbourne mergers proposals. You also had Carlton attempting to take over North and then trying their hand at playing their away games in Sydney if we had went under in 93.

There was also possibility of us merging with the then Brisbane Bears at this time. Before poor Fitzroy went under, I think there was talk of them integrating with Carlton which the AFL vetoed and were forced shotgun wedding with the Brisbane Bears?

There was a joke around this merger period if Mellbourne merged with Carlton they'd be called Melton!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Where would a 20th team be based? My guess is northern Australia, with a team that I call the "Northern Australian Rovers": a team with no fixed home ground, but plays its home games in northern Queensland (Cairns) and the Northern Territory (Darwin and Adelaide).
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Thunder Shaker, I think you meant to say the Northern Territory games played in Darwin and Alice Springs (not Adelaide).
    Yes, not Adelaide. I meant to say "Alice Springs" here: a fatigued-induced mistake when posting late after a long and difficult day.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Although I tipped the Dogs today, the Giants winning would not be a disappointment.
    A. It’s the Dogs, and
    B. Watching Luke Beveridge’s face, and perhaps him evening up his broken hands, is always entertaining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Only half time in the early games but, at the moment, our recent form is looking ok!

The Poodles are holding a comfortable lead against the Giants and the Dockers are giving the Cats a helluva fright at GMHBA!

Go Freo!

Regular in the Side
    How often does this happen?

Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Trying to manifest a Dogs v Giants draw

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast