Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy retires

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Buddy retires

So, there appears some confusion among the media as to whether he's retired effective immediately, or just confirmed it'll be at the end of the year . . .

I hope it's the latter and we get one last rodeo. But, it's over. A sad day.

Personally, in 30 years of watching footy, no player has been more spectacular, unique and given fans (regardless of who they support), more pure joy. He'll walk into the Legends class at the AFL Hall of Fame, and do it easily.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Unbelievable player
    One of the best
    So many good memories
    Enjoy the next chapter Buddy

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, there appears some confusion among the media as to whether he's retired effective immediately, or just confirmed it'll be at the end of the year . . .

I hope it's the latter and we get one last rodeo. But, it's over. A sad day.

Personally, in 30 years of watching footy, no player has been more spectacular, unique and given fans (regardless of who they support), more pure joy. He'll walk into the Legends class at the AFL Hall of Fame, and do it easily.
    It's immediately, according to the AFL website. No last rodeo.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    They're all reporting it's immediate now. Oh man.

I knew it was coming this year, but still feel gutted that we'll never see the great man on a football field again.

Wow - I’m so sad. Didn’t expect it to hit this hard. Surely hope he can come back for the Melbourne game and allows us to send him off properly

Senior Player
    Oh that's very sad. A once in two generation player. So grateful that he decided to come and play with our blokes. So many great memories. Exceptionally talented, exceedingly fair.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

I knew it was coming but now that it is real I actually feel emotional. More so than any other player. I don't know why. Perhaps it is that my kids have grown up watching Buddy. Either way, I feel lucky to have had him at our club even though he didn't quite get us the flag.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Everyone will have their fave Buddy moments, but this is always one of mine.

The top of table clash against Port in 2014 when he kicked five. Everyone remembers the bomb from 70m, but I reckon the next goal he kicked, dancing round a few and then going bang from 50, was even better. Had a great view of it from our seats too. Just shake your head stuff.

SwansTV: Buddy highlights v Port Adelaide R13 - YouTube

It's been a privilege to watch Lance 'Buddy' Franklin play football in Sydney. He has been a great player for the team, a huge asset for AFL in the city and through all the hype and hyperbole, he's been modest, down to earth and from all accounts, a generous, friendly and considerate man to fans and team mates alike.

Congratulations on a wonderful career Buddy. Thank you for coming to Sydney. Thanks for making AFL in Sydney such a great experience. Enjoy your retirement and best of luck in your future endeavours.

Regular in the Side
    Why cant the Swans online sytem have this announcement on the site immedialtelyinstead of waiting to press conference. Poor showing again.

The joy he has brought to all of us fans is immense. I'm not sure there will ever be another player who can generate such excitement every time he touches the ball. Thanks for everything you've given us all Buddy

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Franklin informs Sydney teammates of retirement decision (sen.com.au)

Thanks for the memories, Buddy. Now for the next chapter.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast