Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 21, vs Giants at Giants Stadium, on Saturday 5 August 7:30 PM

Veterans List
    Please, not Stephens as sub. His seconds form does not get franked at the top level. I think Roberts is a good call.

Whoever comes in we need some run and carry or to win it at the coalface. Teams continue to run over us and waltz it out of the middle and stoppages in the second half.
    Hickey for Buddy (Hopefully to give our mids first look at the ball)
    If the coaches are happy with the current ruck set up then HHK for Buddy to give us a bit different look in the forward half, also can swing back
    If Rampe out then I would like to see Arnold , he is quick and could play tall or small . Francis another option but he turns it over to much for my liking.

Sub Roberts/Warner or Stephens any of those three offer way more than Clarke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampe is on the injury list as a TBC, so I assume he won't be playing this week, at the very least. We will be challenged for height in the backline, as we have most of the season. Fox can cover for Rampe. We have enough defenders, but again, they can be exploited as a group when opposition tall forwards work into good matchups.

I don't like any of our Rampe replacement options. Francis got a lot of praise from the VFL commentators, but I thought he was slow and made a few too many disposal errors for my liking. Nonetheless, he still may be the best option. Arnold is another option, but probably hasn't shown enough to debut in such a critical game.

We don't have to replace Franklin with another tall forward, but Buller could be an option if we want to leave McLean in the ruck. The option most mentioned here is to move McLean to forward and bring in Hickey. Buller can also ruck if we go that route.

Of the nonKPPs, Roberts looks most likely to come in, and could be replacement for Clarke as sub. HHK continues to play well and is a chance. Warner also looked okay, but hasn't shown much yet at AFL when given the chance.

Longmire most likely to go with experience and the most conservative option, which is to replace Franklin and Rampe with Hickey and Francis.

I think the Fox is the best marchup for Toby Greene and if that doesn't work, I would try Florent. Could be the key to the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Rampe is out, possibly very short term.

McInerney is out - for at least three weeks.

Both with calf strains.

It really was the night of the calf strain. I wonder whether there was any effect from playing on that carpet covered concrete out west the week before. Or just plain bad luck.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...-miss-round-21

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    That's a bugger re Ramps and McInerney. The latter in particular had got back into something close to his best form the last 4-6 weeks. The move forward of the ball has worked well for him, but he did a great job back in the last quarter on Saturday as part of the shuffle after Rampe went out and Blakey had to play tighter.

In an ideal world, it'd be a great opportunity for Stephens, but his disoposal is so eek at the moment. I'd be inclined to give Corey Warner another run, simply to keep giving him exposure and as our next best runner who's been playing ok in reserves. I'd also consider pushing Roberts onto a half back position like early in the year, and use Fox, McCartin and Blakey to cover their limited talls.

If there is a case for Francis, it is that it frees up Blakey to run free!
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 1st August 2023 at 03:43 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Roberts, Hickey and Francis.

Stephens is still ahead of Warner, Warner cant find it at the next level.

- - - Updated - - -

Fox to Greene

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    We’re going to end up with Mills on Greene imo.

Fox worth a go, possibly Oli as well to keep Greene honest in defence. But with Rampe out, no doubt in my mind Mills will get the gig at some point.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Rampe is out, possibly very short term.

McInerney is out - for at least three weeks.

Both with calf strains.

It really was the night of the calf strain. I wonder whether there was any effect from playing on that carpet covered concrete out west the week before. Or just plain bad luck.

Injury Update: Rampe to miss Round 21
    Marvel is a graveyard for soft tissue injuries. It's rock hard.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Hopefully Rampe is ok and can play on Greene? Otherwise who else could do it? Heeney?
    That's some serious out-of-the-box thinking. I don't agree, but big cudos.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    We’re going to end up with Mills on Greene imo.

Fox worth a go, possibly Oli as well to keep Greene honest in defence. But with Rampe out, no doubt in my mind Mills will get the gig at some point.
    I think Fox starts there but Mills will end up there if required.

Could even see Mills going to Kelly on the wing

Tom and Francis on the talls
    Harry on Lloyd
    Oli, Lloyd and Blakey to run free

I would only play 2 tall forwards. We have little hope of penetrating the Giants' tall deference the air. We have to beat them with small quick forward play.

I would consider HHK on the wing as a direct JMac replacement. Similar players. I can't see us kicking the ball to him if he plays forward.

The Fox with take Green.
    Interesting approach to a young star at GWS. Cadman. Gets a starting game most weeks, only gets a couple of possessions, then subbed out. Very unusual, but giving him a lots of exposure.

Imagine that at the swans!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast