Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: GWS v Sydney Match Thread 5 Aug23

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    McDonald has a very good football brain and invariably thinks very quickly and takes the right option. Really like him as a player. Hope he can build his body up and become a gun KPF.
    Just on Errol and Logan. I remember Logan saying about 2 years ago that Errol was probably the best player he had ever seen. I laughed at the time, but now???? Oh Errol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Just on Errol and Logan. I remember Logan saying about 2 years ago that Errol was probably the best player he had ever seen. I laughed at the time, but now???? Oh Errol!!!
    Cal Sinclair was doing radio commentary on one of our games, a couple of months ago. He said that Errol was the most skilful player that he's ever played with.

Veterans List
    Bedford, Daniels and Braeden all suspended for a week: MATCH REVIEW: Giants pair, young Swan banned after bruising derby - MATCH REVIEW: Giants pair, young Swan banned after bruising derby.

Mixed news, obviously. The Giants play away to Port next week in a game we would benefit from them losing. Bedford was good for them last night and Daniels is an important player for them.

Unless we successfully challenge Campbell's suspension, I'd expect Stephens to get his chance and Corey to come into the sub role.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Fair enough all round really. Greene knows (most of the time) how to skirt the line to avoid suspension. Had many plays that could have been cited for rough play.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Bedford, Daniels and Braeden all suspended for a week: MATCH REVIEW: Giants pair, young Swan banned after bruising derby - MATCH REVIEW: Giants pair, young Swan banned after bruising derby.

Mixed news, obviously. The Giants play away to Port next week in a game we would benefit from them losing. Bedford was good for them last night and Daniels is an important player for them.

Unless we successfully challenge Campbell's suspension, I'd expect Stephens to get his chance and Corey to come into the sub role.
    Have to challenge Campbell's Medium Impact ruling that was graded the same as the one that had Lloyd on the deck for a couple of minutes and off the ground being tested for yonks. Whitfield jumped up and didn't even shake his head.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Suns - home
    Adelaide - away
    Melbourne - home

Big finish coming up

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’ve been wondering when sides will try to tag Errol, and I’m sure it’ll happen. But then I looked at his heat map from last night, which was ridiculous. And it’s kind of summed up by the lead up to that checkside goal of the year contender.

While Bedford is having a shot for goal, Errol is literally standing 10m out from their goals. With the kick in, he then drifts towards the arc. After the ball is kicked to the pack where we flicked around a couple of handballs before McLean’s clearing kick, you see Gulden push past. Then, he seems to sense there’ll be spillage from the Clarke-Whitfield marking contest and puts on 10 quick steps before tapping the ball to himself. Whitfield closes in on him when he handballs to Wicks. He then puts on another surge to get himself clear for the receive, while Whitfield - one of the elite runners in the comp - falls off and effectively concedes he can’t go with him.

He’s run the length of the field, put in two sharp surges, and at the end of it, he’s got the energy and composure to kick THAT goal. He must have one helluva tank.

Good luck trying to tag that.
    Excellent read, thanks, maybe yr better informed than most of us!

Regarding the Inside 50 differential in this game, interestingly it was set up in the first and second quarters, before the game turned into a total wet weather affair, and most - albeit not all - were from quite shallow Giants’ re-entries. When we went forward we were far more efficient, took more marks and kicked goals, decreasing the potential for re-entries. Stats like these tell us that the simple number can actually be quite misleading. It also tells us that our backline is not only defensively far more sound than earlier in the season, they’re also highly adept at setting up attacking chains. There’ll always be the odd clanger, but overall they’re doing a mighty job both defensively and offensively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Good post. Recognition of the backline goes unnoticed at times. What was pleasing was the efforts of Francis, McCartin, Fox and Lloyd who stood up while Florent and Blackey were tagged.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I love the part where he said the two goals Errol kicked was just him showing off how good he is.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches' votes

10 Errol Gulden (SYD)
    7 Hayden McLean (SYD)
    6 Tom Green (GWS)
    5 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
    1 Lachie Ash (GWS)
    1 James Rowbottom (SYD)

Gulden 5-5
    McLean 4-3
    Green 4-2
    Lloyd 3-2
    Ash, Rowbottom 1-0

A little surprised Rowbottom received a vote, I thought he turned over the ball a few times, but maybe he had a tagging job that he executed well.