Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: GWS v Sydney Match Thread 5 Aug23

Veterans List
    The centre clearance count was 15/13 against. How they come to that figure is beyond me. Time and time again we were a no contest as GWS just strolled out of the middle. When Papley goes in the he usually gets a clean clearance. Hickey won his own clearances a few times. Hawthorns dominant clean clearances really rattled Collingwood. Apparently Mitchell gave his midfielders a massive sprang after their previous game.

Our first 11 goals came from defensive moves. So for once we were quick and clean going forward. Then again straight kicking helps.

I noticed that GWS went short after half time to try to break up our defensive structure. Coach Kingsley looked very frustrated on the bench.

The kicking of Callum Mills is a worry. Both he and Hayward again missed from dead in front from 30 metres.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    I'm sorry, but a player who blindsides the opposition in the back, elbows his opponent in the throat and consistently whinges is NOT the new face of AFL in Sydney...Sorry Toby fans
    Yep, I agree.
    It's really a silly thing to say.
    And do we need a "Face for Sydney"?
    It's as much BS as the Battle of the Bridge.
    Or the Ruck Round.
    Or Bounce, or First Crack.
    Stop me. I'm on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The centre clearance count was 15/13 against. How they come to that figure is beyond me. Time and time again we were a no contest as GWS just strolled out of the middle. When Papley goes in the he usually gets a clean clearance. Hickey won his own clearances a few times. Hawthorns dominant clean clearances really rattled Collingwood. Apparently Mitchell gave his midfielders a massive sprang after their previous game.
    I think the clearances were about right. Both teams were attacking from defence.

Sent from my CPH2471 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Just for the record, a few weeks ago I put $50 on Errol for the Brownlow at what was then $101. Highly unlikely, but giddy up.
    Each way could be interesting.
    And now, with Naicos out of the season, even straight out could be lucrative.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Yep, I agree.
    It's really a silly thing to say.
    And do we need a "Face for Sydney"?
    It's as much BS as the Battle of the Bridge.
    Or the Ruck Round.
    Or Bounce, or First Crack.
    Stop me. I'm on a roll.
    No. Keep going. So much shallow nonsense in footy media, 99 per cent of it here in Melbourne.

- - - Updated - - -

Mills was massive in the last quarter. He has missed a couple of easy shots lately. Used to be money.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

The kicking of Callum Mills is a worry. Both he and Hayward again missed from dead in front from 30 metres.
    12.0 and then later 15.6..... we probably "can't have everything".

Great win and another fantastic game from Errol. What a jet he is!

I thought Fox, Warner and McLean were also up there in the bests.

Saw Lloyds name mentioned a bit. Watching live and not knowing his stats, I thought he was very ordinary.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Yes, and add to that both Mills and Haywood played significant roles in the win

It was just a joy to watch us spiderweb the relentless entries from GWS and sling shot out again so cleanly.

I mean some of the long range kicks to the key forward’s advantage was just exceptional last night.

So hard to do when the ball carrier is coming in at full speed like we tend to utilise and nail that pass long so cleanly to the advantage of our forwards.

It is a big risk because with an inferior amount of entries we have have have to kick accurately which we did.

Plus pull out some locked clutch goals in the last 5mins or so of the final qtr.

Remarkable actually.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    A bit harsh on Lloyd here. He was off the ground for 15 minutes at least, and was second to Gulden in metres gained by 9 meters. Are you sure you weren’t watching the Geelong Port game. Seriously though, he has had some ordinary games mid year, but this was possibly his best for the season

Opti-pessi-misti
    Behold the advent of the 'three headed dragon!' Perfect description, Dow. I was so looking forward to seeing how playing the 3 big forwards plus Hickey was going to work out. Last night's plan worked a treat. Throw in Paps, Heeney, and Wicks (!) etc and our forward line is going to be a formidable challenge for any opponent. It allowed Amartey and later Logan to be rested, as well as both McLean and Amartey able to give Hickey respite. Great game by McLean. Go Bloods!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    A bit harsh on Lloyd here. He was off the ground for 15 minutes at least, and was second to Gulden in metres gained by 9 meters. Are you sure you weren’t watching the Geelong Port game. Seriously though, he has had some ordinary games mid year, but this was possibly his best for the season
    Tend to agree. I’ve largely viewed Lloyd’s season as meh until now. I thought he seemed to find more space, get involved in more chains and cover more ground both by run and kicking penetration than he had for a while last night. It was particularly important given Blakey was a bit ginger and Ollie had a rare off night.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say