Thread: Tom Papley Punting Scandal

Tom Papley Punting Scandal

Tom's punting podcast clashing with Club's anti gambling stance. Hope this is just a storm in a tea cup.

AFL 2023: Tom Papley, Sydney Swans rocked by gambling scandal over SEN Podcast | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Ha - won’t someone think of the children!

Move on, nothing to see here.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    His grandfather, Max, was a bookie for some time so an interest in horse racing must run in the family.

Veteran Site Admin
    Some of the criticism seems overblown and guilty of conflating different things.

The Swans have taken a stand against gambling advertising at matches and the saturating effect of that. It doesn't make them anti-gambling, per se, nor does it require any or all of their employees to be anti-gambling.

I don't gamble but not because I think it's morally corrupt. I do think the betting industry is morally corrupt and I'm very happy with the Swans' stance on advertising at matches. But I don't think any less of Tom Papley if he enjoys a flutter (on anything other than AFL) and wants to make a podcast about that, any more than I would think less of someone who wanted to make a podcast on brewing home beer (I don't drink beer).

I haven't listened to Papley's podcast and I have no intention of doing so. It sounds like they might have gone a little overboard with some of the language. But there are a few commentators jumping on moral high horses with their comments. Surely it just needs a quiet word with Papley on where he overstepped the mark. It's hardly a "scandal".

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Some of the criticism seems overblown and guilty of conflating different things.

The Swans have taken a stand against gambling advertising at matches and the saturating effect of that. It doesn't make them anti-gambling, per se, nor does it require any or all of their employees to be anti-gambling.

I don't gamble but not because I think it's morally corrupt. I do think the betting industry is morally corrupt and I'm very happy with the Swans' stance on advertising at matches. But I don't think any less of Tom Papley if he enjoys a flutter (on anything other than AFL) and wants to make a podcast about that, any more than I would think less of someone who wanted to make a podcast on brewing home beer (I don't drink beer).

I haven't listened to Papley's podcast and I have no intention of doing so. It sounds like they might have gone a little overboard with some of the language. But there are a few commentators jumping on moral high horses with their comments. Surely it just needs a quiet word with Papley on where he overstepped the mark. It's hardly a "scandal".
    Exactly. Typically overblown NewsCorps angertainment.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Agree totally over blown.

Was actually Fairfax/Nine that reported all this originally. See the Fin Review earlier in the week.

Totally a non news story.

I totally applaud the clubs gambling stance.

But it doesn’t mean players can’t own horses if they want or have a punt.

Just terrible journalism

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    His grandfather, Max, was a bookie for some time so an interest in horse racing must run in the family.
    I enjoy a punt on the horse but never bother betting on football. So just because you like one type of betting does mean you are a hardened gambler.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind a flutter, but not on the nags - they're too hard to follow.

But this seems overblown regardless, even if they hyped up their first podcast with a bit of florid language.

Besides, Swans players have a tradition to uphold going back to Plugger and his greyhounds.

Tony Lockett's Love of Greyhound Racing St Kilda Football Club Plugger - YouTube
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Agree totally over blown.

Was actually Fairfax/Nine that reported all this originally. See the Fin Review earlier in the week.
    A sad reflection on just how parlous the state of journalism is in Australia, and on how the Fairfax/Nine group have degenerated. The SMH didn’t even bother with last weekend’s important and feisty local derby, apart from a paragraph reporting the result. No other story or coverage whatsoever. Just a dismal effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    All mainstream media now very shallow.