Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 24 vs Melbourne at the SCG, Sunday 27 August at 3:20 PM

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Bwahahahaha.

Gil will impose another trade ban on his way out the door the way we’re going.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve felt for three years now that given the clear lack of an alternative, he’s our most valuable player.
    Probably. In the current squad (e.g. no Buddy), it's hard to see us winning many big games without Heeney, Papley or Gulden. Next tier, in order: Blakey, Parker, Rowbottom, Mills.

Senior Player

Wow the Victorian and South Australian media and supporters are going to go nuts. I was wrong with my initial judgement of the incident but I an totally rapt. The footy gods are shining down upon us.

Senior Player
    Story from Channel 9 saying that Swans are succession planning so that Dean Cox takes over from JL when he eventually gives it away. Strong WA influence at the club with Cox, Pyke Mcdonald, Warner Brothers, Sheldrick and Buller. Reminiscent of South before 1933 flag when there was what was known as the Foreign Legion with a number of players also having come over from WA.

Their influence then was instrumental in the Swans nickname. RucknRoll might want to weigh in on this!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Story from Channel 9 saying that Swans are succession planning so that Dean Cox takes over from JL when he eventually gives it away. Strong WA influence at the club with Cox, Pyke Mcdonald, Warner Brothers, Sheldrick and Buller. Reminiscent of South before 1933 flag when there was what was known as the Foreign Legion with a number of players also having come over from WA.

Their influence then was instrumental in the Swans nickname. RucknRoll might want to weigh in on this!
    That would surprise me. Had in mind a McVeigh dynasty.

Also: a fair bit still left in John. Still very clearly has the players' respect and buy-in.

Senior Player
    Article inferred he would take over in 2026

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    That would surprise me. Had in mind a McVeigh dynasty.

Also: a fair bit still left in John. Still very clearly has the players' respect and buy-in.
    It would surprise me too that anyone would have a goddamn clue, and I bet Longmire hasn’t even made that decision. Media spec.

Re Mcveigh, I do think when you look at the CV of the best coaches, they’ve been in more than one football program. I wonder if a few years outside the Swans would benefit him to broaden his thinking.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Re Mcveigh, I do think when you look at the CV of the best coaches, they’ve been in more than one football program. I wonder if a few years outside the Swans would benefit him to broaden his thinking.
    I can't think of many "favourite son groomed to be the coach" success stories. Voss at Brisbane (too soon), Hird (oh dear), Buckley (almost won them a GF at least).

I'm sure the Swans would do it better of course!

Maybe I can only recall the negative examples - there must have been some successes?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I can't think of many "favourite son groomed to be the coach" success stories. Voss at Brisbane (too soon), Hird (oh dear), Buckley (almost won them a GF at least).

I'm sure the Swans would do it better of course!

Maybe I can only recall the negative examples - there must have been some successes?
    Roos wasn't exactly a "favourite son" of the Swans, given he arrived so late in his playing career. And of course he had experience at another club in a playing capacity, though I suspect most of the lessons from his time at Fitzroy fell into the "how not to run a club" bucket.

But he didn't gain any coaching experience outside the Swans before taking over and, indeed, had a relatively short apprenticeship as a coach at the Swans before taking over the top job. He retired from playing at the end of 1998, spent a couple of seasons living in the US (and studying sports management informally) and doing some media work here in Australia. He then became an assistant coach at the Swans in 2001 and by the middle of 2002 had the caretaker job.

As a general rule, I agree with IU2's observation that time in another environment is highly beneficial. Ideally a coach would do this even if they had played at another club, but I reckon it's even more important if you've only ever been at one club as a player and assistant coach.

Senior Player
    Back to the game: apparently Papley, McInerney and Amartey are all "test" for the weekend. Which I guess is encouraging.

Injury Update: Stars a test for the weekend

Seeing that they are going to play finals would't be more prudent by not selecting them this week and save them for the first final.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Seeing that they are going to play finals would't be more prudent by not selecting them this week and save them for the first final.
    Absolutely. It could be time to play a youngster or three, just to give them a taste of it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast