Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AFLW R2 2023: Swans vs Geelong 1.05pm Saturday 9 September 2023 @ NSO

Awesome goal by Newman. Back to back would be nice.

I didn't see the first half, but I thought that quarter was pretty even, with the late Newman goal giving us a vague chance of a last quarter comeback. Do we have the wind in the last?

Love watching Morphett dominate in the middle. Molloy uses the ball really well and Heads was useful in defence.

It will be good to get Ham back in a couple of weeks.

I thought that we were competitive throughout the second half, without really looking like winning. Plenty of strong contributions.

Morphett is going to be a star of the competition; if she's not already. Molloy has some classy skills. Gardiner was busy and effective in the midfield. Newman was our most dangerous forward, with Privitelli doing a few good things. O'Sullivan, in her second game, acquitted herself well, when given the job of tagging Prespakis.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    It will be good to get Ham back in a couple of weeks.
    I was thinking the same thing. Can't wait to watch Ham and Molloy play together.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Huge improvement on the last time we played the Cats. Fantastic to see the development of our Swans!

We have 7 Academy girls invited to the Draft Combine this year. With Hams back and another years experience we will be right up there in 2024. The team has made huge improvements from last season already.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    We have 7 Academy girls invited to the Draft Combine this year. With Hams back and another years experience we will be right up there in 2024. The team has made huge improvements from last season already.
    Do we have priority access to our academy graduates? Presumably if they want to play for us (and are confident we will pick them up) the first step is to nominate with a NSW designation, rather than a National designation. But from there is it a free for all between the Swans and Giants, or do we each get priority over our own academy players?

Veteran Site Admin
    The atmosphere up at North Sydney didn't quite reach the heights of last week, but it was still a pleasant day at the footy. The crowd was only half the size of last week, which certainly contributed to the quieter atmosphere. And I guess the fact we never really challenged for the win didn't help either. But there were still big roars every time a goal went through the right end (and several times when we scored just a behind).

That's the best game I've seen Newman play by some margin. (I've only seen her in Swans colours - I know she came to the club with several years of experience behind her.) In her post match interview she suggested she was lucky with some of her three goals but I think she is selling herself short. Sure, one was a reactive snap when the ball fell from a contest but she needed to be in the right spot, and she was. The best play from her was actually not a goal, but a mark from which she kicked a behind. The ball into the forward line was lofted into a swirling breeze and you could see her watch the ball all the way and run around her opponents and a team mate to get exactly to the drop of the ball. I often lament (to myself - I'm the only person who listens to me) how few of our forwards seem to be able to watch the ball and maneuvre to the right spot. (And that applies to some of the men, as well as the women.) So it was heartening to see her do exactly that.

The stats say Morphett got a fair few hit outs but I didn't think she was nearly as influential as last week. That's fine. She's still a work in progress. Her goal, however, was a joy to behold.

It was fun watching O'Sullivan wearing Prespakis like a glove. You could see Prespakis getting a bit irritated but O'Sullivan stuck to her task. The only time she looked a bit lost was when Prespakis went and stood next to Molloy at a stoppage. O'Sullivan wasn't sure if she should follow or not. Sadly, Geelong had too much quality right across their team for the Prespakis tag to have much effect on how they used the ball.

The biggest difference, however, between the two teams was the forward line. When you have some forwards who lead at the ball carrier, mark securely and are confident kicking from more than 30m out, it goes a long way to winning a game of footy. Privatelli took a couple of good forward fifty marks for us in the second half but clearly she wasn't confident of getting the distance and her attempts to pass off resulted in turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Do we have priority access to our academy graduates? Presumably if they want to play for us (and are confident we will pick them up) the first step is to nominate with a NSW designation, rather than a National designation. But from there is it a free for all between the Swans and Giants, or do we each get priority over our own academy players?
    I'm trying to find out. I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The little-known rule that could see top prospects bypass the draft

Seems we can prelist 3 Academy players before the draft. We should be talking to Marnie Robinson and Olivia Morris, both members of the AFLW & Swans Academies this year. https://sydneyafl.com.au/2023/01/23/...-rise-in-2023/

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    The little-known rule that could see top prospects bypass the draft

Seems we can prelist 3 Academy players before the draft. We should be talking to Marnie Robinson and Olivia Morris, both members of the AFLW & Swans Academies this year. https://sydneyafl.com.au/2023/01/23/...-rise-in-2023/
    Thanks for digging that up. Clearly it's a short-term entitlement only, not a long term priority access to our academy graduates.

The same question arises for the non-Northern state teams as applies to the mens competition NGAs - ie do the other clubs actually do much to develop their zoned players? However, in the AFLW it matters less given we are some way away from having a national draft, and most of the top talent will likely elect to stay in their home states, and have now been largely prevented from doing a deal with an interstate club because they can't nominate for a specific state other than their home state. It still won't prevent a Montana Ham or Charlie Rowbottom agreeing to join an interstate team if that team has the first pick in the draft. They can just nominate with a National designation and will be chosen at pick 1. But it prevents a Sophia Hurley type situation, where she knew she'd be chosen by the Swans but not at the first pick. By nominating with a National designation (rather than a NSW designation, as Hurley did) such a player will be fair game for all 18 clubs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast