Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Skilton Elevated to Legend status in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame

  1. #1

    Skilton Elevated to Legend status in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame


  2. #2
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,944
    It was a privilege to be able to watch him play.

    It was a privilege to meet him and talk to him at a number of Swans Melbourne functions.

    A champion footballer and a champion human being. And he was ours - a true Blood!

    Such a well deserved accolade for our champ!

  3. #3
    I'm a touch surprised that he wasn't already recognised as a legend. Still, probably difficult for many these days to appreciate his greatness.
    My oldest memory is sitting on the kitchen floor with my mother, one Saturday evening, when my father returned from the football and excitedly exclaimed: "I think we've got a beauty." Indeed we had. (He had just seen Skilton play for the first time.)

  4. #4
    Great article & photos of Bob Skilton being elevated to Legend status in Sport Australia Hall Of Fame. Great photo of him with club legends Max Papley (Tom's Grandfather), John Heriot & Peter Bedford.

    A must read for all Swans fans!

    Congratulations 🎊 Bobby!!! The greatest Swan of them all.

  5. #5
    Edit: thanks for moving my post to this thread as I'd somehow overlooked it!

  6. #6
    Bobby Skilton has always been a Legend. Well-deserved recognition of a Bloods champion.


    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  7. #7
    I only have scant memories of watching Bobby playing live, as his last year (1971) was my first going to the Lakeside oval.

    The year before (1970), I remember a magnificent large signed colour poster of Bobby being raffled at my primary school in South Melbourne (I didn't win). It created a frenzy with all the kids being mainly South supporters back then.

    I used to see Bobby jog regularly around the local footy oval in my neighbourhood about 20 years ago. He always gave a wave back.

  8. #8
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Great article & photos of Bob Skilton being elevated to Legend status in Sport Australia Hall Of Fame. Great photo of him with club legends Max Papley (Tom's Grandfather), John Heriot & Peter Bedford.

    A must read for all Swans fans!

    Congratulations 🎊 Bobby!!! The greatest Swan of them all.
    Also love the photo of Bobby, Max Papley, Peter Bedford and John Heriot. All of them are dyed in the wool Bloods! I'm old enough to remember all of them playing and have met all but Max.
    Bobby, John and Peter are just magnificent human beings. (I'm sure Max is too!) I don't know if he still is but, up until a few years ago, John Heriot was the President of the Swans Past Players and Officials Association.

  9. #9
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I only have scant memories of watching Bobby playing live, as his last year (1971) was my first going to the Lakeside oval.

    The year before (1970), I remember a magnificent large signed colour poster of Bobby being raffled at my primary school in South Melbourne (I didn't win). It created a frenzy with all the kids being mainly South supporters back then.

    I used to see Bobby jog regularly around the local footy oval in my neighbourhood about 20 years ago. He always gave a wave back.
    The story goes that Bobby wasn't initially thrilled about being number 14 and wanted to change it. But, one day, he saw a young boy wearing a South jumper with number 14 on his back and Skilts couldn't bring himself to change it!

  10. #10
    There’s a wonderful portrait of Bobby, done at the end of his career. Does anyone know where it is?
    Here’s a photo from the press at the time as it was being completed.
    Love the kid in the background.


    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,944
    Don't know KG but the Sydney Swans Melbourne office might be a good place to start your investigation.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Don't know KG but the Sydney Swans Melbourne office might be a good place to start your investigation.
    Thanks, I’ll give them a call.


    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO