Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFLW R3 2023: Lions v Sydney Swans, 5.05pm EST Sun 17 Sept Springfield Qld

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Yes Allie is is very enjoyable to watch. Who knows what she will be capable of with a few more years to hone her ruck craft.

Look the result was horrid, but there were definitely moments. Nil Desperandum.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Despite the scoreline that was probably a better performance than anything we delivered last year. It's just that the Lions had too much forward craft and class. And while we had half a dozen players who had good to excellent games, the bottom half of our team was clearly well short of the bottom half of the Lions's team.

Still, well done to Gardiner, Morphett, Kennedy and McCarthy (on debut). Heads was decent, though her kicking let her down. Privitelli presented well in the forward line. Molloy was given no space to do much (except kick four behinds) but she contributed well with her pressure and tackling. Hurley was busy but could do with tidying up her disposal. And the third Irish woman, O'Sullivan, was far from our worse too. Apart from the clean arms and legs, she looks so similar to Kennedy in the context of a fast moving game, with the wild, dark pony tails, that it can feel like seeing double at times.

Fingers crossed that Ham hasn't suffered a major setback. The glimpses she provided were tantalising.

Interesting comment by Gowans in his press conference that he believed the Swans women struggled to adapt to the much larger size of Brighton Homes Arena in first half today (Field dimensions: 161M x 128M); after playing first two matches at North Sydney Oval (Field dimensions: 125 x 108M).

Not something that had occurred to me.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I hope we’re just being overly cautious with Montana.
    Swans play down injury fears after Ham's early exit
    Summary: Ham's OK. She was playing on "reduced minutes." The foot is still a little sore but she's pulled up OK.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Swans duo poll votes from the coaches

It's encouraging that, despite the heavy scoreboard loss, a couple of our players received recognition from the coaches. It would have been close to impossible to leave Gardiner out of the votes with her 41 possessions , nine tackles and inside 50/metres gained contributions that even Errol would have been satisfied with.

But Morphett also picked up votes from at least one coach (or maybe one each from both of them). She was excellent in the ruck, but the Lions had tons of very good players so she might have been squeezed out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    It was interesting to see how hard they sat on Molloy. Maybe it's just another aspecrt of the growing professionalism of the ALFW?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Injury Update: Ham ruled out, Higgins season over

Ham has been ruled out of the upcoming game against West Coast. It could be a frustrating season for her, and for those of use who were looking forward to watching her play this year, not lessened by the wee glimpse she gave us on Sunday.

Other than that, yet another ACL injury was sustained on Sunday (in a "scrimmage", which I presume is what the non-playing players participate in). Higgins - the only one of our Irish contingent yet to make it to the senior team -will now not be making it to the senior team this season.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    It was interesting to see how hard they sat on Molloy. Maybe it's just another aspecrt of the growing professionalism of the ALFW?
    She's been subjected to very close attention in all three of our games. You'd think the better teams - including the Geelongs and Brisbanes of this world - might show a bit of sympathy and not tag one of ours, but I guess it shows the regard she is held in. I imagine she is finding it quite frustrating, though it has allowed Gardiner a lot of freedom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123