Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Brownlow thread

Well done Errol, that’s a magnificent year of magical footy, it was such a pleasure to watch.

Errol is a football genius.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Fantastic result for Gulden.

Stephens finishing equal 7th too!

Jesinta Franklin has posted lovely footage on Instagram of Buddy getting SO excited (watching from his lounge at home in the Gold Coast) when it seemed Errol might pull off the win.

Love you Big Bud!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The naysayers were right. A couple of months ago I made the suggestion that Gulden might do a Skilton and win a Brownlow in the year he turned 21 - for a little while there, I was feeling excessively chuffed.
    A wonderful season from the lad all the same.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    The thing I don't like about the Brownlow these days is that the votes are less evenly distributed than
    they used to be. I get the midfielder bias but it's as if Neale, Bontempelli etc are the only midfielders in
    their team. And the guy who is probably the best midfielder in the comp, or at least in the best three
    is Tom Green. And he came equal 20th.
    Were there really 12 players this year that deserved more votes than Paul Kelly did when he won? Nope.
    Sorry I know everyone is excited about Gulden doing so well but the vote totals are a bit silly these
    days.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Jesinta Franklin has posted lovely footage on Instagram of Buddy getting SO excited (watching from his lounge at home in the Gold Coast) when it seemed Errol might pull off the win.

Love you Big Bud!
    Thanks for the heads up. That's great.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Ha. I passed out on the coach so missed all the excitement of him (and my bet) getting so near, yet so far. Sounded like a blast to watch.

But good on him. As Liz said, I don’t think the contrast between the two halves of his season was that wide, but a bit like Chad last year, he really got on a roll in the second half of the year. What a season he’s had and touch lots of wood, what a player he will be.

Also, a nice reminder that we at times marked Chad hard on here, but I do think he had a pretty good year - if not at the same stellar, consistent heights as last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Love you Big Bud!
    Just went and looked at that. He’s like a big child. So good.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

It’s so boring that everything tilts towards midfielders for the Brownlow

Doesn’t really acknowledge the impact of players in other positions does it

Lots of controversy in the media how the umpires voted in some games where players didn't receive votes for being BOG and vice versa, which was crucial in such a tight finish. Lachie Neale was genuinely surprised to have won.

This is the not unusual in the history of the Brownlow, as I recall Keith Greig (73-74) didn't even win his club's B&F with his Browlnlows. Dipper tying with Greg Williams, Tony Liberatore, the list goes on. Media can be too hung up on stats, as I expect of lots angry callers on talkback today!

However I do agree a high percentage of votes are now concentrated on too few players, as so many polling in the high 20's which is insane compared to yesteryear. Defenders have no chance as stats based poling goes heavily against them. Forwards to have kick bags, even then some like Jeremy & Charlie Cameron were overlooked!

I had feeling Gulden will finish in the pointy end and was one of several possible winners had the counting gone their way.

‘These votes are insane’: Demand for change after Brownlow ‘travesty’ | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Senior Player
    Maybe it should be called the Midfielder Award. Last time I looked you had to kick a bunch of goals to win games, and there are 15 or
    so guys that scored between 40 and 60 goals and barely got a vote. Do Collingwood make the GF without Brody Mihocek (5 votes) and
    his 44 goals? Do GWS make the Prelim without Jesse Hogan (3 votes) and his 42 goals. Even us, do we make the finals without
    Paps' (4 votes) 37 goals? Nope, nope and nope.
    I get the Brownlow rewards individual performances in individual games, but it doesn't reward the contributions to winning games
    properly. And winning, it's kind of a big deal in sport.

Regular in the Side
    cant understand votes in final game. although we lost (probably the reason which itshould not be).with 42 osessions gets 1, fisch 2 and viney 3 . surely it should have been the other way round. would not have won anyway.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast