Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Brownlow thread

Veterans List
    I think Fritsch got a few goals in the last quarter so was fresh in the minds of the umps. Viney had 12 tackles so he was front and centre to the umps, but then again Errol had 42 possessions and 2 cracking goals on the run. FYI the umps were Chamberlain, Meredith, Williamson and Gianfagna. All but Ray have officiated in the finals this year, with a couple probably getting the granny.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    cant understand votes in final game. although we lost (probably the reason which itshould not be).with 42 osessions gets 1, fisch 2 and viney 3 . surely it should have been the other way round. would not have won anyway.
    And Neale got 3 votes for a 7 kick, 13 handball game. Horne-Francis got 3 votes for a 13 touch game that included 4
    ineffectual disposals, 2 clangers, a kick along the ground and another kick that went one metre. I reckon I could have
    done that.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Maybe it should be called the Midfielder Award. Last time I looked you had to kick a bunch of goals to win games, and there are 15 or
    so guys that scored between 40 and 60 goals and barely got a vote. Do Collingwood make the GF without Brody Mihocek (5 votes) and
    his 44 goals? Do GWS make the Prelim without Jesse Hogan (3 votes) and his 42 goals. Even us, do we make the finals without
    Paps' (4 votes) 37 goals? Nope, nope and nope.
    I get the Brownlow rewards individual performances in individual games, but it doesn't reward the contributions to winning games
    properly. And winning, it's kind of a big deal in sport.
    I don't blame the umpires, as they don't ask for the responsibility and have enough on their hands. Plus, because they are watching the play so intently they naturally follow the ball - and therefore midfielders.

But you're dead right. It's why the AFL Coaches Award is the premier award in my mind these days. It may have a bit of a midfield bias too - but you certainly don't get the outlier results you get in the Brownlow in individual games, and I reckon I know who knows more about footy.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    I think they need a stat called "Goal Involvements". So if you either kick a goal or are within three possessions of unbroken play
    that results in a goal by a team mate then that is a Goal Involvement. And at the other end of the ground if you break up a
    sequence of possessions by the opposition in their half with a tackle or an intercept mark (marking an errant kick by the opposition
    doesn't count) then that is a Goal Involvement too. So, players efforts at either end of ground are rewarded with this stat, a stat
    that directly influences the score, by scoring and helping score goals and stopping goals as well.
    It would favour midfielders because they are more likely to be at both ends of the ground but it would be a meaningful
    stat as it relates to scoring and defense at the same time.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think they need a stat called "Goal Involvements". So if you either kick a goal or are within three possessions of unbroken play
    that results in a goal by a team mate then that is a Goal Involvement. And at the other end of the ground if you break up a
    sequence of possessions by the opposition in their half with a tackle or an intercept mark (marking an errant kick by the opposition
    doesn't count) then that is a Goal Involvement too. So, players efforts at either end of ground are rewarded with this stat, a stat
    that directly influences the score, by scoring and helping score goals and stopping goals as well.
    It would favour midfielders because they are more likely to be at both ends of the ground but it would be a meaningful
    stat as it relates to scoring and defense at the same time.
    Those stats (or very similar ones) are already recorded. Scoring involvements and intercepts.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Those stats (or very similar ones) are already recorded. Scoring involvements and intercepts.
    But not precisely as I described, and they aren't added together as one stat that can be attributed to one player.

Veteran Site Admin
    But not precisely as I described, and they aren't added together as one stat that can be attributed to one player.
    Not precisely as you described, but I'm not sure yours are any more telling than the ones that are recorded.

In terms of being added together as one stat, most stats aren't added together. There isn't a single stat that combines disposals, marks, tackles, clearances etc. Although there are Dreamtime and Supercoach scores, and Champion Data ratings, that attempt to come up with a single measure for a player's game. Though those are (sometimes) derided for the relative weightings they do or don't place on each individual statistic. Any combined measure requires an large element of judgement of which acts are more worthy of recognition.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It's not just the Brownlow that has beome the midfielder's award, the AFLCA award is similar - 16 of the top 20 this year were midfielders.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It's not just the Brownlow that has beome the midfielder's award, the AFLCA award is similar - 16 of the top 20 this year were midfielders.
    Precisely. People complaining about the Brownlow has joined death and taxes as being one of life's certainties. While there's no doubt that votes are becoming more concentrated amongst fewer players, it's been a midfielders' award for almost ever. Always ever if you include ruckmen as midfielders.

And both the AFLCA and the Brownlow not only predominantly recognised midfielders. They recognised the same ones. Butters, Bontempelli, Daicos, Neale, Gulden, Petracca - top six in the Brownlow, top six in the AFLCA.

Senior Player
    I'm just talking about adding together two things that are related to scoring and stopping the opposition from scoring.

With the Brownlow as I'm-Uninformed2 says, the umpires probably have enough on their plate. But the AFL is unlikely
    to take the voting off them. They'll be citing tradition and all that, even though with four umps now it's become voting
    by committee. Like I said before, 12 guys got more votes this year than Paul Kelly did when he won it in 1995.
    That's just plain silly.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Despite all the angst it is interesting to note that the same 6 players who gained the top votes for the Brownlow Medal are the same 6 who were top of the Coaches Association Medal votes, just in different order. Butters was the big difference and the only one who should be a bit miffed, he and Neale swapped positions.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    1 vote for Errol’s performance in the last round needs a royal inquiry. And to give Viney the 3 votes is puzzling
    Yes, 1 vote for 42 possessions and 2 goals is interesting indeed.....but had he got three votes for this game he still wouldn't have beaten Neale.

Having said that, Neale getting three votes for 7 kick game against the Giants (?) is also royally puzzling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Fantastic result for Gulden.

Stephens finishing equal 7th too!
    Stop it!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 26th September 2023 at 01:41 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast