Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFLW R6 2023: Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, 5.05pm AEDT Sat 7 Oct Alberton Oval

Most venom I've seen in a Sydney Swans AFLW game

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    C'mon Bloods!!

Big win. I thought that Port were dishing out the dirt all day.

Best games from Hurley and Ham I thought

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Wow! Win number 3!

The improvement of our team has been phenomenal!

Looks like it's the first time that Ham has played in a Swans win. I thought she had some excellent involvements in the second half.

But really, pretty well all the side played well. Morphett and Gardiner provided plenty of drive. Cynthia Hamilton is getting back to her B & F form. Hurley used the ball in a calm manner, when that was really needed. I love the way that Kennedy goes about it: even though she seems just a little bit scary. Smith was a strong forward target. Molloy had some classy touches. McEvoy had some tough defensive possessions.

Probably a few more that I could single out, but a real solid team performance. Now we are definitely in with a finals chance, especially if a bit more cohesion can be developed when moving the ball rapidly.

I was impressed with Heads' tackle on the wing in the fourth. She cut her opponent in half but more importantly, changed momentum with a holding the ball call. She's developing into a strong defender.

Great win by the ladies. I didn't realise that was Montana's first win. There is a lot to like about this young and experienced team. Back to back wins would be awesome next week.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I love the way that Kennedy goes about it: even though she seems just a little bit scary. .
    I've commented before to someone that I wouldn't want to meet Kennedy in a dark alley. But watching her out on the field, me on the bench (or today on my sofa), she's just about my favourite Swan right now (amongst the women, at least - Errol sets the bar high).

It makes a huge difference when the team can take contested marks in the forward line. Up to now it seems to have been Privitelli or bust, and good as she is, she loses or drops or is outbodied more than she takes. But Smith is quickly emerging as a real presence in the forward line. And Cynthia was fantastic today. I've been a little disappointed in her this year - actually disappointed is too strong a word, but I thought she was our best in the practice game win against Carlton and so had been hoping for really huge progress from her this year. I was probably a little unrealistic in my expectations, but today showed glimpses of what she is capable of. That run into goal when she forgot to bounce a second time was possibly more exciting even than the two goals she did register.

Hurley has been a quiet achiever all year. And a remarkably consistent one. I wish she'd approach ground/tackle contests with a little more circumspection. Today wasn't the first time she's given away a couple of frees for crude contact in a contest, and she might eventually get one even more wrong and find herself suspended (and/or injure an opponent).

McEvoy has been a solid contributor all year but today was her best. She just put herself in the right spot so many times, especially pressing forward to stop Port rebounding from their defence.

Most exciting and encouraging is how, right across the team, they are now bodying the ball and contest with conviction, rather than trying to track the bouncing ball and getting bamboozled by the unpredictable bounce. It's amazing how often it breaks for a player and allows them to run on to it in a bit of space. This hasn't just improved since last year. It's improved since round 1.

Lastly, I don't know who coaches the midfield group, but whoever it is, can they please take Dean Cox out for a coffee to share some secrets about centre square tactics?

Pushing for Selection
    Last year at Port the Swans were a rabble - worst effort of the season - so it's great to see the turnaround this year.

I'm with you on the Kennedy bandwagon Liz - she'll make errors (couple of HTB, soccering the ball away for 50) but the highlights this week were that contested mark and (separately) the run around the player on the mark to kick accurately into the square for Priv to goal.

Also agree with all your comments - McEvoy was so important today. Thankfully the recruits have all added something - but I'm sure Gardiner has exceeded expectations of the coaching team. The Hamiltons have both been off a bit but there was visible improvement today.

Still plenty of skill errors to work on of course but that's to be expected.

Think Davo does the mids for the girls :-)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The match report mentions finals for the first time that I have seen for Sydney's women's team.

Swans outlast Port to boost finals chances
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Nice to see Ham get through an increased game time, although sometimes she looked a bit puffed I thought - is that a video misapprehension?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 10th October 2023 at 04:28 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Gardiner and Morphett continue to rack up the coaches' votes after the Round 6 game.

PORT ADELAIDE v SYDNEY

10 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
    8 Abbey Dowrick (PORT)
    5 Ally Morphett (SYD)
    5 Chloe Molloy (SYD)
    1 Lucy McEvoy (SYD)
    1 Erin Phillips (PORT)

Coaches' votes, R6: Roo moves clear, FIVE perfect 10s

If the season were to end now, you'd think we'd be almost certainties to have two players in the AA squad. I imagine they - Morphett and Gardiner - are also neck and neck in the B&F count at this stage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast