Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL Sydney 2024 - What's the Buzz

Just had a quick look at Platinum ladder. Camden and SWS easy top 2. Balmain and Parra similar level to North Shore 3rds. Now in a comp with their 2nds.

Manly, Uts, East coast and SWS have their 2nds playing in div 2 while the other 6 prems teams have them in div 1.

I love the new structure and separation of teams - I don't care what the gap is as long as teams play against opposition of the same standard.

The only club I have ever thought rorts this has been UTS but it has often been about playing players in lower Divisions than they should to win a lower division flag.

Also a couple of observations and questions to the forum
    * Western Magic - WTF - 2 teams, with one Men's team in Div 4 and one Women's team in Div 3? What happened there?
    * Parra / Mac Uni Womens - 5 teams in 4 Divisions. What's the point of a Merger - at that size surely they revert to being 2 separate clubs again
    * Mac Uni's top team in Div 3 - it wasn't that long ago they were nearly a Mens Premier Division club - what happened there?
    * St Geoge in Prems Womens and 3 Female teams a great growth program for them

This should reinvigorate the whole comp - an exciting 2024 ahead of us.
    Last edited by Tom Wills; 21st December 2023 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post

Mac Uni's top team in Div 3 - it wasn't that long ago they were nearly a Mens Premier Division club - what happened there?
    Long serving president has stepped down.

Huge issues with the University there that go back a long time. They get no funding at all and actually have to pay rent to the Uni for their ground.

There's been talk for many years about them stepping away from the Uni but the only local team (North Ryde juniors) are terribly weak. And whether they like it or not the facilities there are their best asset.

To all intents and purposes just a women's club now, will definitely struggle to get two teams on the paddock in 2024.

Very very sad as they were a very well run and successful club in the ;ate 90s and early nawties...

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    Long serving president has stepped down.

Huge issues with the University there that go back a long time. They get no funding at all and actually have to pay rent to the Uni for their ground.

There's been talk for many years about them stepping away from the Uni but the only local team (North Ryde juniors) are terribly weak. And whether they like it or not the facilities there are their best asset.

To all intents and purposes just a women's club now, will definitely struggle to get two teams on the paddock in 2024.

Very very sad as they were a very well run and successful club in the ;ate 90s and early nawties...
    So sad to hear this Wombles. I know nothing about the club, nor University politics, but I have fond memories of the facility. They hosted our finals for a few years in the late 90s and the fans were quite packed in on the hill. I remember fantastic catering...ECE-style....and sponsor marquees outside the entrance. It was a struggle to battle the crowds to move around the front of the rooms - the place had a buzz, lots of atmos. The playing surface was rock-hard and looking down from up high, you'd swear you were looking at the surface of the moon. Green and yellow metal numbers on the scoreboard that hung by nails and got altered by hand when a team scored.
    Those facilities were indeed an asset, especially when you compare them to the depressing lack of atmosphere of BISP.
    Go Mac Uni - get us back to those good ole days !
    Last edited by justabaraker; 25th December 2023 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    So sad to hear this Wombles. I know nothing about the club, nor University politics, but I have fond memories of the facility. They hosted our finals for a few years in the late 90s and the fans were quite packed in on the hill. I remember fantastic catering...ECE-style....and sponsor marquees outside the entrance. It was a struggle to battle the crowds to move around the front of the rooms - the place had a buzz, lots of atmos. The playing surface was rock-hard and looking down from up high, you'd swear you were looking at the surface of the moon. Green and yellow metal numbers on the scoreboard that hung by nails and got altered by hand when a team scored.
    Those facilities were indeed an asset, especially when you compare them to the depressing lack of atmosphere of BISP.
    Go Mac Uni - get us back to those good ole days !
    Commendable thoughts but the reality is that Mac Uni will only field Women’s AFL teams from 2025 with season 2024 being a sad decline.

It’s a sad situation largely driven by the politics and incompetence of the Mac Uni Sports Administration

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    Commendable thoughts but the reality is that Mac Uni will only field Women’s AFL teams from 2025 with season 2024 being a sad decline.

It’s a sad situation largely driven by the politics and incompetence of the Mac Uni Sports Administration
    That's rough, but I guess symptomatic of having that kind of structure. We had an opportunity with UWS years ago and didn't take it up - wouldn't have worked anyway given our numbers change dramatically year over year.
    If Mac Uni mens are struggling for numbers and still need a trial game, tell them to contact me, I'd be happy to play them. They helped me put years ago.

And here we are thinking the league has gone to a “competitive balance” model

Pushing for Selection
    With transfers now open, is there any way to see the player movements, like the old ‘Clearances’ listing?

I think it's meant be

play.AFL

but there's SFA going on there for now

So there's this invitational pre season cup but not a lot of news about it, SWS seem to be driving it. Canberra and Sydney pools. What's the deal here?

OOTF No you cant see anymore

e Team (or “All” if same points) Total Team Points
    AFL Sydney – Men’s Premier
    Division
    UNSW-ES Bulldogs 36
    North Shore Bombers 38
    Pennant Hills Demons 38
    St. George Dragons 38
    Sydney University 38
    Manly Warringah Wolves 45
    East Coast Eagles 51
    Inner West Magpies 51