Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Anyone watch the Saints game today and see Wilson play? Definitely looks a ripper!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Anyone watch the Saints game today and see Wilson play? Definitely looks a ripper!
    I know what you're saying, shaping as a gun, very impressive, who went a few picks after we took Green who won't be ready for quite some time.

Konstany vs Weddle, Sheldrick vs Van Rooyen, Stephens vs Serong

Every clubs supporters have the same thoughts, Wayne Milera the pick before Charlie Curnow haunts Crows supporters

Looking retrospectively at drafts is a really interesting thing to do. The difference in strengths of drafts is an eye opener, as is the rapid drop off in some drafts

I would be intrigued by more in depth 'before and after' analysis of drafts too. We hear every so often about 'superdrafts' and the like, quite often now before drafts happen. But I always wonder from the other side - how many of those predictions actually turn out to be true? We see little snippets where people go and redo/re-rank drafts etc, but not a whole lot that actually looks back to what was said before the draft, and assesses where recruiters got it right/wrong etc.

As you said 707, every club has multitudes of 'if only' thoughts around the drafts. It happens to all clubs - but does it, in effect, happen to some clubs more often than others. The answer is probably yes - but how significant it is, I don't think we have much of a gauge on.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Stephen Wells of Geelong is often touted as a genius recruiter but I'll give you a list of some of his first round picks, what do you think of these selections?

Billy Smedts, Nakia Cockatoo, Darcy Lang, Cooper Stephens, Lachie Fogarty, Jackson Thurlow

If you don't buy it each season, can I recommend you do youself a favour and buy the AFL Record Season Guide, just $40, it's a 1250 page absolute bible of footy facts as far back as 1897.

Anyone with any insight for player contracts ?

How Errol is unsigned is ridiculous, id say he is probably holding everything up for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Indeed. Why do people underestimate him?
    Blue collar footballer. First name on the teamsheet each week.

Part of his appeal to me is just how unassuming he looks on the field until he tries and get the ball. I'm sure if he was built like Dusty, Cripps or the Bont he's get a lot more highlights

Heart and soul of the team for mine

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    Blue collar footballer. First name on the teamsheet each week.

Part of his appeal to me is just how unassuming he looks on the field until he tries and get the ball. I'm sure if he was built like Dusty, Cripps or the Bont he's get a lot more highlights

Heart and soul of the team for mine
    That’s an interesting proposition - who is first on the team sheet for us each week.

Sorry, for me it is not RB, though I see his value, how much he has improved since 2022, and also acknowledge his high best and fairest finishes. Brett Kirk, who RB reminds me of, is also one of my favourite players.

For me however, first on the team sheet would be McCartin, Errol or Grundy (though he needs to back up his round 1 performance with other strong showings). If any of these go down, the replacement is far, far worse in ability and impact.

If RB goes down, an un-injured Patch, Parker, Mills, Jordon, or even Gus can take on the role, some a bit worse but some a lot better.

Interested to hear who others would have as their first selection every week for the senior team!

New Fox Foory Show - Midweek Tackle consisting of rotating HS journalists, last night claimed we now have a Salary Cap Squeeze with Grundy's contract, which is now also a paywall article in the HS this morning (surprise surprise...not).

They claim Grundy's contract this year is worth $1.1m, with us paying $750k & the Pies the rest. This is higher than the original $900k reported at time of his trade. With a number of our players coming out of contract this year, including Gulden & McDonald. They insinuated we may have a cap squeeze to retain them all given how much Gulden & McDonald (with Freo coming after him) may demand.

They did, however, point out most clubs have a cap squeeze & very few have the proverbial war chest. They also mentioned how we were strongly chasing JUH before securing both Grundy & Adams.

Personality, i find this as a beat up story as tbey failed to mention how much Grundy's contract is worth in its remaining years (surety not $1.1m pa?).

P.S. The previous night they mentioned Geelong are chasing Clayton Oliver & Bailey Smith.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    New Fox Foory Show - Midweek Tackle consisting of rotating HS journalists, last night claimed we now have a Salary Cap Squeeze with Grundy's contract, which is now also a paywall article in the HS this morning (surprise surprise...not).

They claim Grundy's contract this year is worth $1.1m, with us paying $750k & the Pies the rest. This is higher than the original $900k reported at time of his trade. With a number of our players coming out of contract this year, including Gulden & McDonald. They insinuated we may have a cap squeeze to retain them all given how much Gulden & McDonald (with Freo coming after him) may demand.

They did, however, point out most clubs have a cap squeeze & very few have the proverbial war chest. They also mentioned how we were strongly chasing JUH before securing both Grundy & Adams.

Personality, i find this as a beat up story as tbey failed to mention how much Grundy's contract is worth in its remaining years (surety not $1.1m pa?).

P.S. The previous night they mentioned Geelong are chasing Clayton Oliver & Bailey Smith.
    You're right. It's a total beat up in its implications re our cap being under strain.

My understanding is our cap is in a far healthier space than it was a few years ago. In fact, it's likely we front loaded some of Grundy's contract to make space in coming years. I know we did a bit of it with some of the long-term contracts we signed with Blakey, Paps, Heeney and Mills - which also had the added benefit of lowering the average annual bill, in exchange for security of tenure.

Don't get me wrong. We still have a lot to juggle - with Gulden, McDonald, Rowie and Hayward (at least) this year, and Chad and Campbell next year. And it's likely we will have to pay slightly overs for Logan with Freo have a bucket of cap space and draft picks to throw at it.

But we didn't throw a big contract at Naughton and McKay last year (even if my understanding is it was slightly less in the dollars than some of the media reports) if we were under such a strain that an extra $150K in a given year on Grundy was an issue.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

Yes, I doubt very much that we would have had to pay an extra $200,000 a season to lure Grundy away from Melbourne, when he was often playing in the VFL and apparently not all that pleased about it. If anything, his market value would've dropped a bit.

Veterans List
    That Midweek Tackle show is painful to watch, three poor quality footy journo's bumbling about to try and get a fire going but appearing like they have got their tinder wet!

The Grundy segment was woeful, they threw around conflicting rubbery figures as to what Grundy was getting paid and made it appear as if Swans are suddenly shocked about his contract. As if! They then threw in the fact we have players to re-sign this season like it was a disaster about to explode that we haven't planned for.

What a lot of old toss, here are the facts - when we recruited Grundy we knew EXACTLY how much he would cost US over the four years of his contract and we knew EXACTLY how much his separate contract with Collingwood was.

It was widely reported his original contract at Collingwood was 7 x $900k, a substantial contract AT THAT TIME, before the new CBA was signed. It was widely reported that when Grundy went to Melbourne, they paid $650k pa and Grundy had a separate contract with the Pies for the remainder of 5 x $250k pa. We just mirrored the Melbourne contract when we traded in Grundy, the Pies contract is between Grundy and the Pies.

FACT - with the new CBA, the Salary Cap jumped significantly last season, this season it is $15.8mill. I figure that Grundy's $650k is 4.1% of our Salary Cap. If Grundy is being paid more this season than the $650k, then it's because we have front ended his contract to give us more cap space in future years.

There's no cap crisis at the Swans, it's just these TV Muppets trying to find a story "Swans Salary Cap crisis" to promote their show. Full confidence in the club to go about their business as usual.

What we are paying is only a story as it is a surprise to some.... Im pretty sure Sydney knew exactly what they were getting themselves into.

Decent story developing about Brayshaw and his salary cap hit for the remainder of his contract.

Healy said similar but Buddy could have got run over by a bus and the AFL were still going to make us pay his contract out of the Cap

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast