Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 1 - Pre Match Thread - vs Collingwood at MCG, Friday 15 March 2024, 1:40 PM

Senior Player

Rnd 1 - Pre Match Thread - vs Collingwood at MCG, Friday 15 March 2024, 1:40 PM

So we go into round 1 with 4 premiership points and a position in the top four already. A bit strange!

Hope we can do well and win again, so we can enjoy the rest of the footy over the weekend.

Only player in Opening Round that was really sub-par was Amartey, so as suggested by others, he needs to go get some form in the 2s.

Out: Amartey
    In: Ladhams

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    So we go into round 1 with 4 premiership points and a position in the top four already. A bit strange!

Hope we can do well and win again, so we can enjoy the rest of the footy over the weekend.

Only player in Opening Round that was really sub-par was Amartey, so as suggested by others, he needs to go get some form in the 2s.

A fitness test for Papely ?
    Serious question what role will Lloyd have, seems Robert’s has taken his spot in the back 6 and he looks a little lost and his numbers reflect that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post

Given McLean played well as the second ruck, I don't think this is likely. If Amartey is dropped, zi reckon it'd be for Reid.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Matt

I agree with you. You do not need to have two big ruckmen in the same team. It didn’t work for Melbourne last year and it did not work for Richmond against the Gold Coast yesterday.
    I agree with the suggestion that if Reid is fit enough he would be the logical replacement.
    I also think that conditions on Thursday night certainly did not suit tall forwards, and again it was a good coaching move to substitute a tall for a small, and that definitely showed up when Wicks came on.
    Depending on conditions next Friday night I would be happy to see the same team provided there are no injuries

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Given McLean played well as the second ruck, I don't think this is likely. If Amartey is dropped, zi reckon it'd be for Reid.
    Absolutely. No need for 3 rucks.

I would stick with Amartey for a few games and see what he produces. If we drop him now after 1 bad game, where does he go from there?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    A fitness test for Papely ?
    Serious question what role will Lloyd have, seems Robert’s has taken his spot in the back 6 and he looks a little lost and his numbers reflect that.
    I think you find that Lloyd went into the game underdone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Absolutely. No need for 3 rucks.

I would stick with Amartey for a few games and see what he produces. If we drop him now after 1 bad game, where does he go from there?
    To another club perhaps.

Veterans List
    Reid was the only player to stand out in the ressies hit out against Southport. So given Amartey was subbed, maybe Reid for Amartey, if Reid is fully fit?

Pies defence was ordinary last night, Moore and a first gamer their only KPD.

Senior Player
    ReasonsI have suggested Ladhams are:

- we have done ok with Hickey and Ladhams on the field (albeit only a few times)
    - Ladhams is very capable in general play and as a forward
    - McLean was playing as a forward primarily and only recently has become a ruck. He is a great mark and usually a great shot at goal.

So McLean could take Amartey’s forward spot, and Ladhams plays as second ruck/McLean for example

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Amartey frustrates me mightily but I'd be inclined to give him one more. It wasn't a great night for talls on either side and some of our delivery was lacking. Having said that, his inability to find a way to stay engaged and involved in the game is my main beef with him. He can do the dynamic things in bursts in offence, and occasionally use his athleticism to do the hard work defensively - and then he vanishes.

Not meaning to talk up my man McLean here as he was only so-so the other night, but as a point of contrast - he still found a way to stay involved, did the physical work of helping to grind down Gawn and got a couple of (lucky-ish) goals. He was a long way from BOG, but he still made a contribution. And I'm pretty sure it ain't some vast gap in natural talent that sets them apart.

I do hope we get to see the best of Amartey as he has a lot to offer if he nails it. But he's gonna have Ladhams, Reid and Buller on his tail - and we ain't got time to mess around this season.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I agree with the posters saying give Amarty another go. However, if they do decide to go with the same structure and still want to drop Amarty, I'd definitely prefer Reid in than Ladhams as I do not want us to play 2 ruckman ever, particularly as I believe Grundy thrives playing sole ruck. Ladhams is purely depth in case Grundy gets injured IMO.

If we decide to go down the smaller route that we had when Amarty got subbed, then starting Wicks seems the logical choice with Sheldrick as the sub. Particularly if the weather is wet, which sounds like a possibility.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I agree with the posters saying give Amarty another go. However, if they do decide to go with the same structure and still want to drop Amarty, I'd definitely prefer Reid in than Ladhams.....
    Amarty plays like someone who is often bewildered. Just doesn't seem 'with it' at AFL level. Against Collingwood we need some additional toughness. I'd keep Wicks in the side and bring in Ladhams.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Amarty plays like someone who is often bewildered. Just doesn't seem 'with it' at AFL level. Against Collingwood we need some additional toughness. I'd keep Wicks in the side and bring in Ladhams.
    Ladhams coming in lets Mclean stay forward
    Happy to keep Amartey if he is good to go.

Lloyd looked like he was alot higher up the ground, id prefer to see Campbell up the ground and Lloyd deeper.

As good as Fox was he was definately in for a specific role against Melb, not sure thats required against the Pies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast