Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 3 Pre-Match Thread, vs Richmond at MCG, 4 PM Sunday 31 March 2024

Opti-pessi-misti
    Regarding the Ladhams replace Amartey suggestions, I would like to see Amartey given another couple of games. I find it very difficult just watching games on TV to know what the set up is in, say, the forward line at any given time. Are the 3 talls working on set rotations, are they playing in positions according to their strengths, it one acting as a decoy to give the other(s) more space? Are they committed to always play with a three tall forward line, that is with one rotating as ruck back up as needed?

The first few games I would see as a putting into practise what they had planned in preseason but it is a learning curve in how it is going to work out. Maybe Amartey is playing a role? They are a relatively new combination and a three-some of talls is not the norm! Are they rorating off the bench? Those of you who have been at any of the games would have a better idea of how it is working. So far the outcome has been pretty good!

In the past two games, Richmond’s backline has been composed of tall-mid sized defenders, i.e. Grimes, Vlauston, Broad, Rioli, Pickett, Short, et al, especially since losing Gibcus, and using Balta as a forward. That being said, if Fox is still unavailable and Lloyd is required down back then going with three talls is problematic.

On the positive side, it means we may have an advantage when trying to mark the ball inside 50, but this may be less of an advantage than we imagine as Grimes, Broad and Vlauston are excellent at intercepting and spoiling in marking contests.

The negative side is obviously maintaining forward 50 pressure, if the ball goes to ground would we have the wherewithal to keep it in our attacking region without the support of the mids flooding down. The disadvantage of such a strategy is clearly that you then leave an outnumber behind the ball if Richmond get possession.

I’m not sure what is the best for Sunday but if Armartey is not to play then it seems to me that another tall is not required. Hayward, McDonald and McClean are more than capable of handling the overhead load. Warner and Heeney can also provide aerial cover when resting and with strong ground support already there we don’t risk being run and gunned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    A bit off topic (or maybe a lot), but has anyone seen the full leadership group for this year?

I've noticed Ramps doing the toss in the absence of Mills, which is cool with me; but it got me wondering if i had missed the announcement of the broader group.
    A poster on Big Footy mentioned that he spoke to J McVeigh at the VFL game and asked him about the leadership group, as there had been no announcement. McVeigh said that a leadership group had been selected and that it had intentionally not been made public. The poster was surprised at this but didn't want to press him further.

I think it's very strange that there has been no announcement. What could be the reasoning behind this?

I am in the leave the forward line as is camp.

Yes we have 3 talls but McDonald and Armarty play similarly as mainly lead up targets. McLean provides more of the contested/ get out of goal target.

I have not seen Ladhams play this year but on past performance he is more similar to McLean.

I believe it would be a significant backward step if our game plan changes to long dump forward kicks to 2 contested mark targets. Leave Armarty there for me

Senior Player
    Adams and Fox both a test to play this week. If they both pass it, perhaps Fox could return for Cunningham and Adams take Corey Warner's place as sub: Injury Update: Duo a test to play this weekend.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I went back and watched the game vs Richmond in round three 2021 this arvo, when we sliced them apart at the MCG. My god that was fun.

Two things stood out. We had Parker, Kennedy, Hewett and Mills in the midfield. It didn’t slow us down a lot.

The other was Chad. This game was kind of his coming out party and the explosion was there, most notably in that goal he kicked bursting out of the centre. But he has put some serious pace on since then. He had quick feet and power at the contest, but he wasn’t quick over the ground. I wouldn’t say he has Blakey or McInerney level speed, but he’s built it impressively. It’s a tribute to his work ethic.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I think they play Adam’s in the reserves this weekend to get back into match fitness. I also worry about a situation where these mids come back and the coach plays Isaac forward. He is the best player in the AFL at the moment doing what he’s doing now.

Don’t move him.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I went back and watched the game vs Richmond in round three 2021 this arvo, when we sliced them apart at the MCG. My god that was fun.

Two things stood out. We had Parker, Kennedy, Hewett and Mills in the midfield. It didn’t slow us down a lot.

The other was Chad. This game was kind of his coming out party and the explosion was there, most notably in that goal he kicked bursting out of the centre. But he has put some serious pace on since then. He had quick feet and power at the contest, but he wasn’t quick over the ground. I wouldn’t say he has Blakey or McInerney level speed, but he’s built it impressively. It’s a tribute to his work ethic.
    One of my favourite recent games - as you say, the MCG coming out party for Chad was electric.

Richmond's pressure ratings (whatever they are) for the Port game were among the lowest I've ever heard from an AFL team, in the 130s/low140s. Surely they must respond?

I'm very much in the Keep Amartey camp - I simply don't think he's been that bad as effectively the third tall and we need to keep getting games into him to see whether he's up for it. Only changes for me, Fox in for Cunningham, or if not fit, Lloyd goes back, Warner on to the bench and perhaps Mitchell as the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    One of my favourite recent games - as you say, the MCG coming out party for Chad was electric.

Richmond's pressure ratings (whatever they are) for the Port game were among the lowest I've ever heard from an AFL team, in the 130s/low140s. Surely they must respond?

I'm very much in the Keep Amartey camp - I simply don't think he's been that bad as effectively the third tall and we need to keep getting games into him to see whether he's up for it. Only changes for me, Fox in for Cunningham, or if not fit, Lloyd goes back, Warner on to the bench and perhaps Mitchell as the sub.
    I doubt they would drop Amartey yet, but its one Id be looking at and if he cant find away to be more effective over the 4 quarters id replace him with Reid or Ladhams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    I doubt they would drop Amartey yet, but its one Id be looking at and if he cant find away to be more effective over the 4 quarters id replace him with Reid or Ladhams.
    Amartey is very much a work in progress- on one hand we need to get more games into him so he can contribute more, on the other Reid and/or Ladhams deserve selection soon . Gut feeling: retain him as long as he is reasonably influential as we can’t afford passengers.

On another note, how would you rate Wicks on his last game? He did a few nice things, including his pass to Isaac resulting in a goal, but I didn’t think he did much. He was better value as a sub in the first 2 matches. I prefer Corey with Wicks as sub and if fit, Robbie in for Harry.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    I think I agree with you on this. Wicks did a couple of good things late in the game, but I hardly noticed him earlier on. The prior weeks he came on and had immediate impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Amartey is very much a work in progress- on one hand we need to get more games into him so he can contribute more, on the other Reid and/or Ladhams deserve selection soon . Gut feeling: retain him as long as he is reasonably influential as we can’t afford passengers.

On another note, how would you rate Wicks on his last game? He did a few nice things, including his pass to Isaac resulting in a goal, but I didn’t think he did much. He was better value as a sub in the first 2 matches. I prefer Corey with Wicks as sub and if fit, Robbie in for Harry.
    Good call, I had been thinking on this he has been effective as the sub and I wonder if that's a role better suited to him ? when Fox is ready to return I would assume he would make way for him.

I doubt we would make wholesale changes while on a winning streak but I love us to blood say Cleary or Konstanty, leave Warner (I know I am not a fan, but you need a full run at to see what you can really offer) for another full game and make Wicks sub - Pipe dream I know

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast