Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 4: the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    What amazes me is how our brains remember lyrics from so long ago. It's like it was yesterday!
    Yes, it's amazing how many lyrics and melodies are stored in the average person's brain. But perhaps what's more amazing, is how rapidly we can access particular lyrics and melodies, from those vast internal music libraries.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Possibly the correct decision, would have been to have overturned the first goal on review, while Kennedy was lining up for his shot, but still letting him take the shot because the dissent ruling stood? I can't work out if that would have been more or less controversial?

Either way, I am starting to get a bit sick of crucial decisions seeming to consistently go Carlton's way.
    The standard for paying a mark if another player might have touched the ball in flight and the standard for a possible touched shot at goal are different. We regularly see marks paid where several pairs of hands probably touch the ball in a pack but the player who gains control is paid the mark. There is no mechanism in the game to review anything other than scores (or potential scores). If there were, we'd be reviewing hundreds of decisions and non-decisions every game.

Once the umpire paid a mark, it was a mark. End of story. The umpire wasn't going to change his mind. Just as an umpire doesn't change his mind once he's awarded a 50m penalty, even if the offending player stares at him in disbelief with his arms stretched out. (Looking at you, Harley Reid.) I don't know what was said by the Freo players. But they were carrying on like pork chops after one decision that probably wasn't in the top 50 grey area/ debatable decisions paid in that game alone (as a typical game, not because I was sitting there counting them).

I know the umpires went over the top with the "umpire dissent" frees and 50m penalties when the crackdown initially came in. But now they've wound it so far back that players can get away with almost anything if they don't like a decision. I don't think the game is better for it.

Senior Player
    They paid the mark. The Carlton guy put it through and they hit the lead. The chances of Freo kicking another goal in the
    remaining 45 secs of the game are very slim even if there was no 50M and free kick against them for dissent with the umpires.
    Both teams are pretty good and we'll have to be going at 100% to beat them I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    They paid the mark. The Carlton guy put it through and they hit the lead. The chances of Freo kicking another goal in the
    remaining 45 secs of the game are very slim even if there was no 50M and free kick against them for dissent with the umpires.
    Both teams are pretty good and we'll have to be going at 100% to beat them I reckon.
    Agreed. After the mark and goal, Carlton had it won. Both teams had their moments to win and it was pretty close for the whole game. The lesson for us is that we can’t beat either if we don’t play four solid quarters, which we find very hard to do. We usually drop at least one quarter and against strong sides this may not work as the gap can be too much to bridge. That said, it must be very hard to play with top intensity for a whole game- but they are AFL full time professionals aren’t they?

The Tigers have started very brightly against the Saints. Makes last week’s effort look not so bad, but I wonder if they can maintain it given their outs.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Watched the Gold coast v Giants game and I am wondering how is possible we could beat either side based on yesterday's performance.?

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Watched the Gold coast v Giants game and I am wondering how is possible we could beat either side based on yesterday's performance.?
    If it's any help, for the last twenty years or so, I've thought that most sides that I've watched look better than us, and then we usually beat them.

Senior Player
    How could we possibly beat Melbourne or Collingwood based on yesterday’s performance?

We have some good days and bad days, and yesterday after watching it, was not that bad.

Eagles were applying intense pressure but couldn’t keep it up all game.

We hopefully can cut out some of the really silly mistakes and we will be pushing top four.

I don’t think anyone expected us to be 5-0 before the season started, so we are travelling fine at 4-1.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    The Tigers have started very brightly against the Saints. Makes last week’s effort look not so bad, but I wonder if they can maintain it given their outs.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Very enjoyable game. Great win, St Kilda.

Senior Player
    We could slip to 6th on the ladder by the end of next week on a 4-1 record, it is nuts!

Carlton should over take us as they play Adelaide, and so will Geelong who play North.

Port will over take if they beat Freo, as the former dined out on the Eagles. If Freo win, they can overtake us too if they gain percentage or don’t lose more than 2.3 percentage.

Similar for Melbourne to stay a head of us (gain percentage against Lions at home, or don’t lose more than 2.5 percentage).

Very tight at the top end of the table, and also four teams that could be 0-5 after next week!

Veterans List
    I thought this was the game of the round from what I watched, especially as several others didn't live up to their hype.

I see Stephens was subbed off in the third qr with 5 disposals. There is a dawning moment of "Oh @@@@@@, we've done it again" on NM's BF forum. Could be a long four years.

I watched the Gold Coast game and was really impressed with their performance and they have some scarily good young players. They are our next opponent and i am very wary of them especially how they have been our bogey team the last few seasons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast