Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 4 v West Coast

Senior Player
    Perhaps for the best that the forum went down for that one

A comfortable enough win in the end and I'll definitely take it, and 4-1, after last week. Another case of anything can happen when one team is up and about and the other is off their game. Question is why are the Swans off their game, for the second week in a row?

Hopefully the break will do them good and they'll be back to form for another traditionally-challenging opponent in the Suns.

Good. Couldn’t stand losing to West Coast. They were good in the air and highly motivated.
    The crowd really enjoyed the footy at this humble ground.

Veterans List
    Seriously, last post at 2:40? Has this site been off line or something because after I got home from work, I couldn't open it up for about an hour.

Anyway, that game was seriously embarrassing.....and as I said on the 'Rnd 4 (Gather Round) - vs Eagles at Mt Barker, Adelaide Hills, at 1:30 PM, Saturday 6 April 2024' thread, our squad better work through whatever is going on re: the Wicks situation soon because something is off and we almost lost to a team we should have annihilated.

To the players, your not playing this game for selected teammates, you play for all your teammates, all the fans and for the club that pays you big money to 'do what you love'. Get your proverbial 'excrement' together.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, last post at 2:40? Has this site been off line or something? Because after I got home from work, I couldn't open it up for about an hour.

Anyway, that game was seriously embarrassing.....and as I said on the 'Rnd 4 (Gather Round) - vs Eagles at Mt Barker, Adelaide Hills, at 1:30 PM, Saturday 6 April 2024' thread, our squad better work through whatever is going on re: the Wicks situation soon because something is off and we almost lost to a team we should have annihilated.

To the players, your not playing this game for selected teammates, you play for all your teammates, all the fans and for the club that pays you big money to 'do what you love'. Get your proverbial 'excrement' together.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Perhaps for the best that the forum went down for that one

A comfortable enough win in the end and I'll definitely take it, and 4-1, after last week. Another case of anything can happen when one team is up and about and the other is off their game. Question is why are the Swans off their game, for the second week in a row?

Hopefully the break will do them good and they'll be back to form for another traditionally-challenging opponent in the Suns.
    I’m not sure the Swans were off their game. West Coast were just on theirs. And they’re not really an ultra young side. Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, Duggan, Darling, Cripps, Barass, Waterman are highly experienced and big bodies too. Bigger than most of our guys. Throw in the inexperienced but classy and also big-bodied Ginbey and Reid and there’s no reason they shouldn’t be competitive every week.

They took away our corridor game in the first half and for much of the second, but I thought we kept our pressure up even when Eagles were on top (unlike last week).

I had a sneaky feeling after the first three weeks that we weren’t going to get through a season being allowed to play clean, beautiful footy. We’re being challenged, and I’m happy about that. They need to come up with alternative ways to move the ball when the ideal kicks are blocked off. Which they did in the second half. It may come down to having a few different ball movement strategies and being quicker to change when plan A isn’t quite working.

And finally, thank goodness for Errol. His second half was a wonder. And not just the pretty stuff. The the focus to scrap and take the ugly option when that was the best on offer. He and Isaac win that game.

Oh, and really finally, good to see Amartey have a strong final quarter (even if his first three weren’t great).
    Last edited by liz; 6th April 2024 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I’m not sure the Swans were off their game. West Coast were just on theirs. And they’re not really an ultra young side. Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, Duggan, Darling, Cripps, Barass, Waterman are highly experienced and big bodies too. Bigger than most of our guys. Through in the inexperienced but classy and also big-bodied Ginbey and Reid and there’s no reason they shouldn’t be competitive every week.

They took away our corridor game in the first half and for much of the second, but I thought we kept our pressure up even when Eagles were on top (unlike last week).

I had a sneaky feeling after the first three weeks that we weren’t going to get through a season being allowed to play clean, beautiful footy. We’re being challenged, and I’m happy about that. They need to come up with alternative ways to move the ball when the ideal kicks are blocked off. Which they did in the second half. It may come down to having a few different ball movement strategies and being quicker to change when plan A isn’t quite working.

And finally, thank goodness for Errol. His second half was a wonder. And not just the pretty stuff. The the focus to scrap and take the ugly option when that was the best on offer. He and Isaac win that game.

Oh, and really finally, good to see Amartey have a strong final quarter (even if his first three weren’t great).

Sane post. Eagles not as bad as press makes out. We would have taken 4 and 1 before round one with Parker, Mills and Adams out. A week off and reload for the next block of games. Much less angst when the site goes down during a game. Can you make this a regular occurrence Liz?

Veterans List
    Seriously, last post at 2:40? Has this site been off line or something? Because after I got home from work, I couldn't open it up for about an hour.

Anyway, that game was seriously embarrassing.....and as I said on the 'Rnd 4 (Gather Round) - vs Eagles at Mt Barker, Adelaide Hills, at 1:30 PM, Saturday 6 April 2024' thread, our squad better work through whatever is going on re: the Wicks situation, soon because something is off and we almost lost to a team we should have annihilated.

Last edited by stevoswan; 6th April 2024 at 05:55 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Mmmm . . .

Isaac BOG again. That clearance in the back pocket and link up play in the last quarter was ridiculously good. He and Grundy the only ones to keep their standards for four quarters, though Errol and a few others came home strongly. Also thought Adam’s first hit out was solid.

One issue that we do have when sides block our short inside kicks is we can find ways, as Liz says, to eventually address it using width or overlap running. But there’s times you do have to go down the line and bar occasionally McLean, we don’t have a forward (or ruck) who naturally takes pack marks down the wing. This is something Reid was terrific at and McLean does it when playing well but not consistently. Amartey doesn’t work hard enough, it’s not the strength of Logan’s game and Grundy is better in space. So we can be left stranded or prone to being picked off on turnover. It’s something Richmond did well last week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Superb- at full pace, too. Willing to concede he may now be a better footballer than I ever was.
    Marginally, old boy, just marginally.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Probably good RWO was down for most of the game. Lucky we clicked into gear into the second half but still gave them some late goals.

In the first half our skills were abysmal and a lot of players seemed to be playing cute/lazily.

Adams looked like he'll need a few weeks to regain fitness but I thought he did some nice things. He'll be good.

While Errol was BoG for mine, not all his disposals have been gold the last two weeks. Usually he's got the midas touch

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

While Errol was BoG for mine, not all his disposals have been gold the last two weeks. Usually he's got the midas touch
    Second half pretty much everything he did was perfect. In the first half he wasn't at his best. But credit to him to work out how to change things around.

I have Isaac as BOG because he was good for four quarters, but Errol's second half was a large part of the reason why we won in the end.

Eagles not as shabby as previously documented.
    That 18 yr old bull was doing heaps of damage and inspiring others to do the same to the Swans.
    V happy to come away with those 4 pts.

Isnt this site run on fumes by volunteers who contribute heaps of time. Guess it will fall over sometimes, or maybe just bc of the weather.

Senior Player
    For those saying it was an embarrassing game for us, that we should have won by a lot more, you got to remember its a long trip to WA, and Optus is a bit of a fortress for them.

Oh, wait...

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I'm glad I decided to stick with the VFLW game - rather than switching to the Weagles game.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast