Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 35

Thread: Round 6: the other games.

  1. #1
    Veterans List dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    7,593

    Round 6: the other games.

    It could be a very good round of football, with every match up looking like a decent game. Even the 17th v 18th clash of North and Melbourne has some sort of appeal, with Mitchell going up against his old mentor Clarkson. While the WA derby might not be so one-sided, with the Eagles finally starting to show a bit of form.

    Then there's the heavyweight clashes between Carlton and GWS, Collingwood and Port, and Brisbane hosting Geelong.

    While tonight has St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs. Which I suspect could go two ways. Either a tight, enthralling contest, or the Bulldogs being so lacklustre, that the calls to sack Beveridge become almost deafening.

  2. #2
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,904
    The Poodles are smashing St.Kilda at half time and the free kick count is 11 - 3 in their favour. I reckon almost all of the 11 frees that have gone the Poodles' way have been correctly adjudicated. As always with them, though, it's the ones that the opposition don't get paid that are the killers. One of the Poodle goals in the second quarter eventuated from a Treloar throw that was so bad that Channel 7 replayed it and commented on it. They've been far too good for St.Kilda, so far, but they're definitely getting the better of the umpiring - again.

  3. #3
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    4,543
    Blog Entries
    1
    I’m kicking myself. I ignored my view of the Saints as the big sliders this year to tip them in the comp I’m in, simply because I had stopped trusting the Dogs. Every time I tip them to bounce back, they have failed me. Then they do this. Bloody poodles, forever tormenting us.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’m kicking myself. I ignored my view of the Saints as the big sliders this year to tip them in the comp I’m in, simply because I had stopped trusting the Dogs. Every time I tip them to bounce back, they have failed me. Then they do this. Bloody poodles, forever tormenting us.
    On paper, the poodles are a very strong team and their system of play is excellent. Their weakness imho is their ability to handle pressure- if the opponent can apply this through big portions of the game, they tend to lose composure. That’s the way to beat them- though their backline can be suspect at times. Of course the umps will favour them more often than not!

  5. #5
    Veterans List dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    7,593
    I tend to think that the Saints are more likely to improve than the Bulldogs and that Lyon is a better coach than Beveridge. And my excuse for getting it wrong last night, is that I didn't notice that it was the Saints third game in 11 days. Which could be why they looked so flat.

  6. #6
    McVeigh for Brownlow RogueSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I tend to think that the Saints are more likely to improve than the Bulldogs and that Lyon is a better coach than Beveridge. And my excuse for getting it wrong last night, is that I didn't notice that it was the Saints third game in 11 days. Which could be why they looked so flat.
    Similar to the Dees last week against the Lions. They had 3 games in 13 days.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

  7. #7
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    6,148
    Gotta love the Cows getting beat by The Edge. Dawson was huge in the second half.

    Worth watching the last few minutes for two squib efforts by Rachele!

  8. #8
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Gotta love the Cows getting beat by The Edge. Dawson was huge in the second half.

    Worth watching the last few minutes for two squib efforts by Rachele!
    Pretty enjoyable game I thought, but of course all we'll get from the media for the next week is *that* decision.

    Probably was holding the ball but no guarantee they'd have kicked the goal. Classic example of "multiple moments make up a game of footy but we only remember the last one".

  9. #9
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    4,543
    Blog Entries
    1
    Carlton really do play like their coach. When the ball is there to be won, there’s no negotiation.

    Mind you, how must David Teague feel: he basically had no Curnow for the three years he was coach, and Cripps was totally hobbled with a bad back.

  10. #10
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,494
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Pretty enjoyable game I thought, but of course all we'll get from the media for the next week is *that* decision.

    Probably was holding the ball but no guarantee they'd have kicked the goal. Classic example of "multiple moments make up a game of footy but we only remember the last one".
    Not unlike that game against us at the end of last season, the Crows had multiple opportunities in the closing minutes to score a goal, and yet fluffed them all. But of course, the "wrong result" never comes down to their mistakes. It has to be the umpires'.

    I thought the attempt to milk a free moments earlier by Walker, who clearly leant into the tackle, was blatant. As was his reaction once he wasn't paid the free. I know the dissent rule has been massively diluted compared to two years ago but I don't think the game is better for it. At least not for how much it has been diluted. I'd have paid a free (and/or a fifty) against Walker for his carry on after he didn't get that free. And then the ball wouldn't have been there for Draper to try to hatch.

  11. #11
    Veterans List dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    7,593
    Having just looked at the radar, I'm now interested in who will win, in the clash between the much vaunted drainage of modern football grounds and the rain bomb now descending on Brisbane.

  12. #12
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not unlike that game against us at the end of last season, the Crows had multiple opportunities in the closing minutes to score a goal, and yet fluffed them all. But of course, the "wrong result" never comes down to their mistakes. It has to be the umpires'.

    I thought the attempt to milk a free moments earlier by Walker, who clearly leant into the tackle, was blatant. As was his reaction once he wasn't paid the free. I know the dissent rule has been massively diluted compared to two years ago but I don't think the game is better for it. At least not for how much it has been diluted. I'd have paid a free (and/or a fifty) against Walker for his carry on after he didn't get that free. And then the ball wouldn't have been there for Draper to try to hatch.
    Agree with all that Liz.

    Rewatching the replay, the Walker milk attempt was really egregious. He tried the same earlier in the match as well.

    Shame, he’s actually playing some excellent football late in his career. He shouldn’t try this stuff on. Suppose it reflects his desperation for finals as his time in the game comes close to an end.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO