Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 7 vs Hawthorn at the MCG on Sunday 28 April 2024, 12 PM Sydney time

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Danger Game exhibit A - Richmond

What a botched opportunity!
    Some suggestion that some sort of sickness bug went through the club leading into that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Last game of the round vs the struggling Hawks.

If we win, GWS win and Geelong lose, we could have a NSW top 2 (depending on %), which will make some VFL supporters really livid about academies etc.

Hard to change a winning team, but if Parker is ready for a full/half game, it seems Campbell will come out.

Or if Parker is going to play more forward than midfield, maybe Hayward as sub?
    Watching Parker in the VFL today he needs at least another game in the 2s to get going. Some things good, some things understandably rusty. Decision-making very questionable at times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You don't think they will have learnt from the Richmond game? I'll say it again, we'll smash them.

I might sound cocky....but I'm confident our boys will not be.
    Your confidence was justified, Stevo!

GO BLOODS!

Senior Player
    Watched the game and lots of positives
    including:

- RB had a monster first half, 18 possessions or so by then
    - Four quarter effort/intensity
    - Great game also by Ollie and Blakey
    - Great percentage boost

Some negatives for me:

- They had more inside 50s than us and our margin was boosted by their low accuracy from some gettable shots, whereas we could do no wrong apart from eg an early poster by Papley. We were getting freakish snaps etc. Guess it was our day and we will take it
    - Our inside 50s were quite poor/hacked in the second half, and we were actually losing to a bottom four team for most of the last quarter. Deep in the fourth, it was 1.3 for them (which should have been 2.1 or 2.2) versus 1 goal for us. We ended up winning the last quarter due to an amazing hand ball from Logan to Heeney who made awesome running snap, and one other freakish goal I think.

Despite that, am happy with the win overall and whoever misses for Parker next week will be a bit unlucky (probably Campbell who was given less
    20 minutes as sub in the last two games).

Veteran Site Admin
    I agree that the scoreboard somewhat flattered how much control we had around the ground, particularly in the second half. However, Longmire's post-match press conference hints that they were conscious of next week's game against a strong opposition, with a six day turnaround (and a longer turnaround for GWS). In some ways that's a quite unLongmire thing to say. He's always about focusing on the immediate opponent. However, given the game was completely won, and we still retained the ability to keep the score ticking along through superior ball use, I guess it makes sense that they backed off the running a bit. The tackling and pressure was still at a reasonably strong level for the whole game.

I also saw something interesting on First Crack last night, where they showed the Swans setting up a ring of players around the outside of stoppages (around the ground, not centre bounce stoppages, for obvious reasons) and allowing the Hawks players to control the inside of stoppages. That might explain why the Hawks won the ground ball contests but how we were able to stop them doing much damage with the ball, and to win it back quickly. And when we did win a stoppage, we had a plethora of players already on their way to the outside. It's probably not a strategy that is wise against a side with the ability to not only win the ball at stoppage but also to run it out. And another comment from Longmire in his press conference suggested that maybe they took this tactic too far and will review it during the week. But it was effective yesterday.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I agree that the scoreboard somewhat flattered how much control we had around the ground, particularly in the second half. However, Longmire's post-match press conference hints that they were conscious of next week's game against a strong opposition, with a six day turnaround (and a longer turnaround for GWS). In some ways that's a quite unLongmire thing to say. He's always about focusing on the immediate opponent. However, given the game was completely won, and we still retained the ability to keep the score ticking along through superior ball use, I guess it makes sense that they backed off the running a bit. The tackling and pressure was still at a reasonably strong level for the whole game.

I also saw something interesting on First Crack last night, where they showed the Swans setting up a ring of players around the outside of stoppages (around the ground, not centre bounce stoppages, for obvious reasons) and allowing the Hawks players to control the inside of stoppages. That might explain why the Hawks won the ground ball contests but how we were able to stop them doing much damage with the ball, and to win it back quickly. And when we did win a stoppage, we had a plethora of players already on their way to the outside. It's probably not a strategy that is wise against a side with the ability to not only win the ball at stoppage but also to run it out. And another comment from Longmire in his press conference suggested that maybe they took this tactic too far and will review it during the week. But it was effective yesterday.
    It caught my eye - mainly because it was the opposite of what we did v Gold Coast's more talented midfield. In that game, we pressed in tight, pulled Adams up from half forward, muddied their clean exits in the scramble, and then backed our run and spread from there. It was good coaching, and I like the fact Horse is mixing up his strategy depending on the opponent. He's also dropped the hard, purely negative tags. Jordon had a bit of one on Anderson, and Rowie will occasionally seek to quell someone for five minutes - but he's instead backing our collective system and strengths to prevail. I like it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    I just realised I did my old occasional mistake of subtracting 2 hours from the Perth time, instead of adding 2 hours (the game was 4 PM, not noon!) sorry all!

Veterans List
    Welcome back RWO!

Great team effort with the usual caveats others have noted (think I heard somewhere that if you win the contested possessions and the first possession clearance you win 70% of the time - presumably losing by 12 goals doesn't comprise much of the remaining 30% of scenarios).

Just loved Chad's game - gawd, he adores the 'G and it loves him right back. I know he didn't have many possessions but his energy, effort and impact were huge all day.

Even those that I might have thought susceptible to rotation - especially, Jordon and Lloyd - had outstanding games. Jake didn't look like he was going to make it easy for the selectors.

Maybe Taylor and Brodie were (relatively) quiet but they'll have big roles to play next week and as Liz pointed out, Longmire acknowledged in a most unHorselike manner that he did have half an eye for this week's blockbuster, so who knows, maybe he was deliberately holding them back.

Big call out to all the defence, but McCartin and Florent in particular may have had claims to be among the votes.

You don't think they will have learnt from the Richmond game? I'll say it again, we'll smash them.

I might sound cocky....but I'm confident our boys will not be.
    Nice call mate How confident are you about this week ????

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Your confidence was justified, Stevo!

GO BLOODS!
    It certainly was a good win and reflective of how we should always play against bottom teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    Nice call mate How confident are you about this week ????
    Certainly not as confident.....but this should fire the lads up:

'They're a bit smug': Greater Western Sydney star Sam Taylor lights fuse ahead of derby

Certainly not as confident.....but this should fire the lads up:

'They're a bit smug': Greater Western Sydney star Sam Taylor lights fuse ahead of derby
    I noticed that. Perhaps the Giants medical staff should check again, to see if he's still got a few concussion symptoms that they may have missed?

It was quite a tactical game actually and I enjoyed seeing a few extra matchup options we haven’t seen much in the past.

Great to see some extra given to Warner to play a bit of a Dusty Heeney Danger type role up front one on one and sitting in the Pagans Paddock

A necessary evolution to in Warners development and great for Finals types game when u are trying to break a deadlock.

Big games coming up and we are tracking well.

A few players will come under pressure - I really am missing Braden Campbell out on the oval. I feel he has so much upside be a couple others or Bradens ceiling is high with his extra attributes of silk and speed.

Great problem to have fitting in the best 22/23 each week.

Probably my main concern is the kicking of Rowie and Patch just evolving that part of their game and Patch still a bit clunky his disposals and attack on the ball not real smooth and can break links of possession.

Overall happy with game plan depth and our key talls continuing to develop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast