Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Round 8 Match Thread: Swans v GWS at SCG

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Were you at the game, because Armatey’s role was clearly to bring the ball to the ground given the conditions so the smaller forwards could pounce on the loose ball, but also with his agility he was able to keep the pressure on Taylor when the ball hit the ground. There is more to it than just basic stat’s. Taylor is a very good footballer and Armartey played a good defensive game on him.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    The Lions were planning to draft him, but because he had not played the required number of academy games he had to enter the national draft. Because the Lions had used a number of earlier picks on farther/son player’s they were hoping Snell would fall through to later in the draft when they could re enter. The Swans and other clubs were aware of this and moved before this happened

Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Were you at the game, because Armatey’s role was clearly to bring the ball to the ground given the conditions so the smaller forwards could pounce on the loose ball, but also with his agility he was able to keep the pressure on Taylor when the ball hit the ground. There is more to it than just basic stat’s. Taylor is a very good footballer and Armartey played a good defensive game on him.
    Although Taylor had 6 intercept marks, one of leading mark getters on the ground and it was wet - don’t think your argument stacks up

This has to be a real issue for the Giants long term. Of the near 41,000 at the game yesterday I wound suggest at least 40,000 were Swan fans. There was a small group of 200 to 300 in the forward pocket and that was about it based on from where I was sitting in the Brewongle Stand.
    GWS get good crowds to their Canberra games, but is this at the expense of developing their presence in the greater Sydney market. This must be a real concern for the AFL.
    The only way is for them to keep winning and keep generating publicity.
    Really, they've sold out 3 or their 4 games so far. (20k for pies, and 2x 12k at Canberra). Can't do more than that. Good run of home games coming up.

I wasnt at the game but ive seen enough to know he needs a spell in the 2s.

Rarely flys for a ball, if that isnt his role I dont know what is

- - - Updated - - -

Sean Darcy injured

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    We're getting the rub of the yellow maggots today. Unbelievable!
    The frees were there. When we started to get on top they started with the dirty stuff.

Veterans List
    A week is a long time in footy, or at least it is for David King - this is what he said a week ago on First Crack:

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack, the two-time North Melbourne premiership player has narrowed down the premiership race to three teams he calls ‘The Disarmers’, ‘The Punishers’ and ‘The Killers’ – Geelong, GWS and Carlton respectively.

“I think it’s a race in three, and I reckon it’s separated pretty quickly,” King begun by saying....

“I just think they’ve (Geelong, GWS and Carlton) got assets that are so superior to the bottom bracket of the eight, or those that are considered contenders.

“Until I see something change dramatically, I won’t move from those three.”

As the young folk would say, that got old quickly.

Ripper win, enough to make me believe we're a chance (and I suspect even King would need to concede that!). Chad has had a fab year, but his last three games have been outstanding. He's clearly got a licence to take the game on (just as Erol has a "low % kick I50" licence and Lizard has "play on anytime anywhere licence") and it's these acts that are making us look so different to other teams.

That said, I would have given the BKM to Wil H - tremendous game-breaking effort and his pressure was elite all game. Watching footage of him present Ollie his 150th guernsey (clever Millsy!), I can't believe he's going anywhere. And increasingly, he's making it clear just how valuable (and valued) he is.

Special call out to Grundy - as has happened a few times this year, he lowered his colours in Q1, only to burst back with 3 more incredibly powerful qrs of footy. Against an opponent who has plenty of fans, the quality of his tap-work was a joy to behold.

And always a smug joy to put these strugglers back in their box - Greene really is a piece of work and as others have noted some of their play was faux tough at a level that the Dons would be proud to call their own. Lower/harder/longer - that's what tough really looks like in AFL.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I don’t get the hatred of Amartey on here.
    Agree. If you can make excuses for Logan on a wet day then you can do the same for Joel.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    A week is a long time in footy, or at least it is for David King - this is what he said a week ago on First Crack:

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack, the two-time North Melbourne premiership player has narrowed down the premiership race to three teams he calls ‘The Disarmers’, ‘The Punishers’ and ‘The Killers’ – Geelong, GWS and Carlton respectively.

“I think it’s a race in three, and I reckon it’s separated pretty quickly,” King begun by saying....

“I just think they’ve (Geelong, GWS and Carlton) got assets that are so superior to the bottom bracket of the eight, or those that are considered contenders.

“Until I see something change dramatically, I won’t move from those three.”

As the young folk would say, that got old quickly.
    He may well be proven right eventually but, wow, talk about the Kiss of Death! Can we get him to anoint every team we play against?

Veterans List
    There's a great old footy saying; "the best players get better when it rains". Their coach said I think at 3Q time that the Swans had adapted to the wet much better, and when it stopped they were able to immediately revert back to their normal game style.
    Last edited by Nico; 5th May 2024 at 05:21 PM.

Veterans List
    On SEN radio after the game Liam Pickering could not get Chad into the votes. In the Sunday Hun no votes for Chad.

With Blakey not having a great game it was Chad who broke the lines. I thought he was BOG. James Rowbottom was outstanding. That game shows why he polls high in the B&F. His stats show that he had 10 kicks, 11 handballs and 7 tackles. But he was brilliant at stoppages and was first to the footy. I reckon you could add a dozen times that he either got the ball out or keep the ball in at stoppages.
    Was that Hayward's break out game? That's 2 weeks running that he has been well above his career average stats.
    Robbie Fox showed how valuable he is as a swing man. Didn't have a lot of stats but was very solid when he came on.
    There have been a few calling for Lloyd and Cunningham to make way but I thought they were very good down back, and the GWS smalls (including Green) were
    blanketed. Did I see Green give Harry a gut punch?
    The best I have seen our midfield work for a long time.
    Browne on McCartin; very close to deliberate/intentional. He was always going to be second to the footy, Tom took possession as he was hit and Browne had plenty of time to chose to tackle. Minimum 4 weeks. In the paper today they said it was a shoulder but on TV it looked like a full on hit with his bicep.
    Last edited by Nico; 5th May 2024 at 05:17 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    There were a few that led with their hips while our blokes were over the ball. It was potentially quite ugly. Even the Himmelberg trip at the end of the third quarter was as deliberate as it gets.

Mind you, it reminded me a bit of the Bombers game. Talking tough during the week, faux tough during the game, but nowhere near tough enough when it mattered. Our blokes were.
    Exactly.....couldn't walk the walk. Weak as ****.