Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Round 8 Match Thread: Swans v GWS at SCG

Great win. Not a player who played poorly. Very good win.
    It seems like the plan is that our forwards are there to bring the ball down for our small forwards and midfielders.
    I did not realise till today as to what jordon was doing and now I get it and love the role he plays. It just makes it easy for Rowbottom and Adams to play on ball and get the contest right.
    I reckon now the bottom 3 players even though they are not doing anything wrong are Lloyd, wicks, and Fox.
    I think leave whoever is sore from two games now and take Parker next game. If everyone is fit and firing, drop wicks to sub role and put Parker in forward half as the deepest forward.

Senior Player
    Have only watched first quarter but seen the final result

Saw McCartin make his customary WTF no pressure kick straight to the other team during that quarter.

Watched a snippet later and saw he got taken out with a high hit.

Just really awful for him personally after missing 8-9 games last year with concussion and what happened with his brother. He was up and about relatively quickly, but you never know with cumulative head hits how long he might be out.

From a team perspective, also really crappy, just as we get Rampe back, we lose McCartin for 1 or more games (round 10 match vs Carlton’s massive forward line is in 13 days).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the rest of the match and having a two win gap over Port and the Blues, potentially Melbourne too.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That was a statement win, as simple as that. Yes they lost their best midfielder, but we lost our no 1 defender as well - yet still kept them to just 5 goals after quarter time. Rampe was huge for us down back - we need him fit and firing, as his leadership of that group is up there with the very best.

Going to be tough to back it up next week against the hot and cold Dockers off another 6 day turnaround. 3 very important weeks coming up for us. If we can go 2-1 and turn at no worse than 9-2 at the turn, we then get a really good break period (2 1/2 weeks courtesy of playing the Fairypuppies on the Thursday, then the Cats on a Sunday), and reload for the second half of the season. We don't have many obvious 'gimmes' on paper left in the draw, but we should be taking the mantra 'anywhere, anytime', as that's what you must do as an interstate team to win the flag.
    Great post and statement win is a perfect description. If the game against Richmond in 2021 was the coming out party for the kids, that was the equivalent of their 21st. Our young boys are all grown up and hardened. They bashed GWS up around the ball and were too smart and clinical everywhere else.

We’re entering a very long window.

Pushing for Selection
    Is drawing the opposition's best defender, justification for Amartey's position in this team?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRhino View Post
    Is drawing the opposition's best defender, justification for Amartey's position in this team?
    3 possessions

A month in the 2s please, embarrassing, hopefully thats why they kept Ladhams out of the ressies today

I don’t get the hatred of Amartey on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Its not hatred, im not writing him off as a footballer

Im suggesting he isnt doing enough to hold his spot in a team thats lost 1 game in 2 months.

We arent North Melb, his effort isnt at the level to be in a successful team, plain and simple.

Im not trading him, i think he isnt doing enough to warrant selection

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post

Im suggesting he isnt doing enough to hold his spot in a team thats lost 1 game in 2 months.

We arent North Melb, his effort isnt at the level to be in a successful team, plain and simple.

there isnt a Coach in the land that could look at the tape on monday and say he did enough to earn another spot

3 possessions

A month in the 2s please, embarrassing, hopefully thats why they kept Ladhams out of the ressies today

- - - Updated - - -

there isnt a Coach in the land that could look at the tape on monday and say he did enough to earn another spot
    I don’t think anyone hates him ! Just saying he’s struggling to have any meaningfull impact and yes he’s kicking a goal a game which keeps him in the side as we don’t have and obvious replacement in the 2s that keep the structure we need - Hamiling playing forward in the 2s suggests that - averaging 3 touches and slightly more than a goal a game surely isn’t a pass for any senior footy player

It's likely an individual club "record" was quietly broken today, but we won't know for sure till September 23rd.

Harry played his 192nd game, passing Nick Smith's career total of 191 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpin de Torpe View Post
    It's likely an individual club "record" was quietly broken today, but we won't know for sure till September 23rd.

Harry played his 192nd game, passing Nick Smith's career total of 191 games.
    Can you explain the significance?

Pushing for Selection
    I was watching the game in the 2nd quarter and was quite worried about the welfare of the Swans players.

There were about 10 occasions when the Swans players went low with their heads over the ball using correct technique only for the Giants to aggressively run straight at them with the intention to hurt them. MCcartin, Melican and Grundy sustained head knocks whilst other situations we’re very dangerous.

The AFL need to investigate the Giants dangerous approach. Obviously McCartin was the unlucky one.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    I thought Amartey was much more willing to put is body on the line, he has been very soft in the past. Never forget he was on the best full back in the league. There is not enough praise for Warner in this thread, I though he was sensational , Gulden, Grundy, Heeney and Hayward very good. Also well done Longmire as the Swans adapted to wet Weather play much quicker than GWS. A great little win against a very very good side.