Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 9 vs Fremantle at Optus 10 May 2024

Unfortunately the “quote” function isn’t working where I currently am, a rather isolated spot on the planet, but I beg to differ regarding centre clearances, Liz. It was almost 50/50, Freo making one more than us. Clearances around the ground were exactly 50/50.
    The last 3-4 very gettable shots on goal by us were all missed, which if even a couple were on target would have resulted in a 10 goal win. Perhaps by half way through the last quarter we were more into energy-saving mode, with a bit of an eye to next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Unfortunately the “quote” function isn’t working where I currently am, a rather isolated spot on the planet, but I beg to differ regarding centre clearances, Liz. It was almost 50/50, Freo making one more than us. Clearances around the ground were exactly 50/50.
    The last 3-4 very gettable shots on goal by us were all missed, which if even a couple were on target would have resulted in a 10 goal win. Perhaps by half way through the last quarter we were more into energy-saving mode, with a bit of an eye to next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To activate "reply with quote" you generally have to click the button twice. I think that's a software issue rather than anything to do with where you're located.

You're probably correct re clearances. I didn't look at stats. I rarely do.

My comment was posted out of frustration. I can't recall being as frustrated watching a game that we won so comfortably. I'm very happy we took the points from a tricky road trip, but I felt Freo were by far the better team apart from our ability to go forward enough times each game with laser-like precision.

I also think our defence was superb - not specifically the back seven, but rather the defensive shape all around the ground. That clearly made it hard for the Dockers to move the ball. But watching on TV it is impossible to know how the team was achieving it.

Senior Player
    On my computers, I get quote to work by clicking on “open in new window”.

Picked them apart with the short kicking game they allowed us to Play.

Good to see amartey jump and clunk a few marks.

Warner BOG for me, was in slow motion.

Ramps did well to hold out their fwds, too smart.

Agree Francis purely a backup.

Love JMac does so much at ground level

What a game ! So glad I got to see it live and Primo seats, Thanks BHP - still soaking it in

I have 2 concerns from this game and that is without the scoreboard you would have thought we got flogged ! Now that has to be a concern and Efficient football can it stand up in September?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I get Liz’s instincts re clearances. It was certainly the case early and a side with half decent kicking skills would have taken better advantage of it.

But, once the ball got into space, it was a slaughter. Our two way running was awesome. McInerney was exhibit A - sliding back into the defensive wing position but also prepared to provide the release or overlap run on offence. It’s why Jordon is so impressive. He sticks like glue to his opponent, but knows when to peel off to be part of an offensive chain and because he’s so clean with his hands, he’s very effective.

He’s such an upgrade on Ryan Clarke.

As for Parker, listening to Horse’s presser after the match, it’s clear that if the last two matches were about getting him up to speed, he simply couldn’t find a spot for him this week. Given the balance of our midfield, it’s an understandable dilemma right now. That’ll change at some point soon, but Luke might need to be patient.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

“He sticks like glue to his opponent, but knows when to peel off …… “

I wish more players would do this after we turn it over… seems like something they did in the olden days .

Veterans List
    Never discount a win in Perth, it's a tough road trip and Freo are a good side. Eight goals is a big margin.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post

The Freo spectators behind us were talking up Almartey and his efforts. Funny how many of our supporters thinks he isn’t involved enough.
    Amartey. No "L".....for the last time.

Veterans List
    Always funny to read the post match comments after a good win.....FFS, you'd think we'd lost.

Sitting one game clear on top.....and having some of our fans doubt we'll stand up in September....or even in home and away games against "good" teams.

So glad I'm an optimist....it's so much easier achieving happiness and contentment.....I have faith that we're also a "good" team. Go Swans!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 11th May 2024 at 10:30 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Watching last night I was most impressed by our speed in defence. I’ve long had a theory our speed it’s more important defensively and a real weapon for us since our break out game vs Richmond at the MCG in 2021. There were a few passages of play where we just consumed the Tigers. It’s a great measure of desperation, work rate and pressure. It’s easier to chase the chance for a possession than it is to do the defensive run.

So, I went and entertained my curiosity by looking at the Telstra tracking data of our matches this year, which is a totally geeky thing to do but . . .

In every game bar one this year:

- Our opponents have had a higher average speed in attack than us
    - Their average speed in attack is higher than their speed in defence
    - Our average speed in defence is higher than our speed in attack.

Guess the one game this year where the opposite was true in all three scenarios?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast