Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 10: Swans v Blues @ SCG

Ps - I probably need to calm down a little 😂

But one other obvious thing I didn’t think about when writing above…

Is it also we just have double the amount of players right now who are weapons at kicking goals?

It feel like every bloody swan is up for a goal !

That was extreme last night.

Against a very good team this year we had players on the bench kicking goals from crazy angles.

There was a stack of goals that were outstanding skill.

Stand and deliver !!!!

It's been so satisfying to see such a great win last night.

Firstly, because we ended the Freo Curse, which really had me spooked midway through the first quarter.

Bur mainly because how the team has developed into one that I was hoping for way back in 2016. Those who were on RWO back then might recall the intense debate about Tom Mitchell. I got into a lot of battles taking the position that the Swans wanted to unload Mitchell, even though he was a great player, because we were going to transition from a stoppage team to arunning, ball skills team. We used the draft pick we got for Mitchell to draft Florent and Hayward, who, despite much criticism over the period, have now become part of such a dynamic team.

At the time, we could not have predicted drafting players like Blakey, Warner and Gulden, but those 2016 picks, and the trade of Mitchell, set the stage for what we see this year. Of course it takes some good list management and a lot of luck to put together this kind of team over an 8 year period, but if you have a good plan and you see where the game is going, the odds should fall your way.

I also think about the debates about Warner and Rowy. Everyone knew that Chad was heading for stardom, so it was really more about Rowy. Both have exceeded even the most ardent supporters' expectations. Warner just dazzles with his speed, evasiveness and power.

To think that we have 3 serious Brownlow contenders over the coming years, with Warner, Heeney and Gulden. They may all be so good as splitting votes, that Nick Dacos could a few from those guys.

That's enough ranting for today. I've got to call my favourite shaman and cancel the booking I made to lift the Freo Curse. I hate losing my deposit though. I'll see if I can convince him to give me a credit for a future assignment.

My view from the stand was the almost miraculous abilty of E. Guldon to dob his laser kick to a team-mate who felt compelled (to honour his skill) and take the mark whether they were in the clear or in a pack .
    His kicks arent flukish , they are consistently cm perfect .

Oops sorry Errol :
    Gulden !

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's been so satisfying to see such a great win last night.

Firstly, because we ended the Freo Curse, which really had me spooked midway through the first quarter.

Bur mainly because how the team has developed into one that I was hoping for way back in 2016. Those who were on RWO back then might recall the intense debate about Tom Mitchell. I got into a lot of battles taking the position that the Swans wanted to unload Mitchell, even though he was a great player, because we were going to transition from a stoppage team to arunning, ball skills team. We used the draft pick we got for Mitchell to draft Florent and Hayward, who, despite much criticism over the period, have now become part of such a dynamic team.

At the time, we could not have predicted drafting players like Blakey, Warner and Gulden, but those 2016 picks, and the trade of Mitchell, set the stage for what we see this year. Of course it takes some good list management and a lot of luck to put together this kind of team over an 8 year period, but if you have a good plan and you see where the game is going, the odds should fall your way.

I also think about the debates about Warner and Rowy. Everyone knew that Chad was heading for stardom, so it was really more about Rowy. Both have exceeded even the most ardent supporters' expectations. Warner just dazzles with his speed, evasiveness and power.

To think that we have 3 serious Brownlow contenders over the coming years, with Warner, Heeney and Gulden. They may all be so good as splitting votes, that Nick Dacos could a few from those guys.

That's enough ranting for today. I've got to call my favourite shaman and cancel the booking I made to lift the Freo Curse. I hate losing my deposit though. I'll see if I can convince him to give me a credit for a future assignment.
    Interesting point about the 2014-2016 midfield. I always thought at the time that Kennedy, Parker Mitchell and Hannas was a good midfield but was inferior to Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Issac Smith. The Hawks had the clear edge in midfield class and won all the big games.

This midfield of Heeney, Chad, Guldon and Rowbottom is way superior to that 2016 midfield. Todays midfield has complementary skill sets and a greater edge in pace, skills and endurance. They all cover the ground better than the 2016 cohort.

There is not many midfields that can match the current team. Maybe Melbourne if Oliver gets it together or Geelong or Collingwood for a short period of time.

Harley Reid is the special one as he has attributes of Chad, Heeney and Dusty.

Exciting times.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    My view from the stand was the almost miraculous abilty of E. Guldon to dob his laser kick to a team-mate who felt compelled (to honour his skill) and take the mark whether they were in the clear or in a pack .
    His kicks arent flukish , they are consistently cm perfect .
    Errol is almost flying under the radar at the moment. He's playing well - though not at the manic levels he hit in the second half of last season - but Chad and Isaac are taking the spotlight away from him a bit. He has another or level to go to if we need him to, if Heeney or Chad drop their pace a little.

There's an interview with him on SEN's Crunch Time this morning. It sounds like they're deliberately trying to shield him from some of the most physical elements of the game, and less time on-ball explains why his disposal counts haven't hit last year's level yet (while still being very healthy). His goal is to play an entire match without a break.

Crunch Time | 1116 SEN

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Errol is almost flying under the radar at the moment. He's playing well - though not at the manic levels he hit in the second half of last season - but Chad and Isaac are taking the spotlight away from him a bit. He has another or level to go to if we need him to, if Heeney or Chad drop their pace a little.

There's an interview with him on SEN's Crunch Time this morning. It sounds like they're deliberately trying to shield him from some of the most physical elements of the game, and less time on-ball explains why his disposal counts haven't hit last year's level yet (while still being very healthy). His goal is to play an entire match without a break.

Crunch Time | 1116 SEN
    Interesting. I think Ed Langdon was doing the 100 percent game time thing a couple of years back.

I think with Errol, it’s more been he’s had a couple of slower starts to a couple of games, including the precision of his kicking being a bit off early once or twice. But the advantage of his elite running power and not being bashed around is he can keep working through games. It’s also the bonus we get from having Grundy and Adams inside, as Chad and Errol can play a fraction more ‘outside’ than last year and use their strengths.

As you say though we’re doing pretty well when Errol is ‘only’ our third best midfielder right now.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Crunch Time | 1116 SEN
    Thanks Liz, very enlightening. As Tay Tay would say, “theres a lot going on at the moment.”

Chad has got a fine for his indiscretion. Which I think is a touch harsh, as I thought he made initial contact with Pittonet's chest and then made glancing contact under the chin. Although, since I often find tribunal decisions unpredictable, I'm a touch relieved that he wasn't suspended.

Anyway, from the AFL site: "The match review officer graded the offence as careless conduct, low impact and high contact, resulting in a fine of $6250, or $3750 with an early plea."

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Quite possibly, but in that time period, there's been plenty of sides who've looked almost unbeatable after about ten rounds, only to fade away in the latter half of the season. A run of injuries can take their toll, other teams can work out a more effective game plan, players can lose form, etc. So, while this side is playing beautiful football, I'd rather make that call in September or October.
    St Kilda 2004.

10 wins from 10 games (3 wins ahead of 2nd), lost to Sydney in round 11, ended the season 16-6 (3rd) and lost preliminary final.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Channel 7 are reporting that Parker is set to miss a few weeks for a bump that put his opponent in hospital.

When he does get back in, I think he will be replacing someone up forward.
    Yep, I've seen the footage of the Parker incident....it does not look good. Add to that, the Frankston player was left with "serious facial injuries" according to afl.com.au. Luke will miss weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    They might be talking about the Blues injuries, but make no mistake everyone in the media is talking up the Swans.
    We are 'under the radar' no more.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    We will miss Fox greatly. He gives us so much flexibility and a great ability to cover gaps both week to week and within games.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast