Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 11 - the other games

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In our match against Collingwood earlier in the season, it was mentioned that Pendlebury had played more games at the MCG than Sydney/South Melbourne.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a look at what the Collingwood fans on Bigfooty thought of the free awarded by Mathew Nicholls. It's quite a fun read.
    There has been alot of negative commentary about that free..."It's not in the spirit of the game" blah blah blah. There is a time wasting rule and when it was introduced a few years back, I remember we were penalised for the exact same thing, (I think it was against Jake Lloyd).

I wish they would concentrate on the time wasting when an opponent won't let us get up off the ground after a free. They have stopped paying 50 for that. That wastes more time than not giving the ball back straight to the umpire.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Spot on. Was at GF 2018. Very happy with the result. Same thing happened in 2015 except Hawthorn won. Should be an asterisk next to their name as well as Richmond 2017. Should be 2 asterisks besides Bulldogs 2016. One for unfair home GF and the other for the free kick shambles.
    I was also at the 2018 GF and loved when Sheed kicked that winning goal. I freaked out when Darling dropped that easy mark in front of goal and was worried that Collingwood might take the ball to the other end and steal the win. The look on the Collingwood faces after the siren (including Eddie's) was priceless!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    There has been alot of negative commentary about that free..."It's not in the spirit of the game" blah blah blah. There is a time wasting rule and when it was introduced a few years back, I remember we were penalised for the exact same thing, (I think it was against Jake Lloyd).

I wish they would concentrate on the time wasting when an opponent won't let us get up off the ground after a free. They have stopped paying 50 for that. That wastes more time than not giving the ball back straight to the umpire.
    Yes, someone being allowed to have a wrestle for five or ten seconds, while their opponent is trying to play on, is one of my pet hates. Along the same line, is players almost always being able to tackle an opponent to the ground, if they're deemed to be in the marking contest when a mark is taken.

Looks like Brisbane are in a bit of trouble. Should be ten points out of the eight at the end of the round, with a fair few key players injured. Though strangely, they're also only ten points out of the top four.

Veterans List
    Lots of results assisting us, top eight match ups in next few weeks slows the chasing pack. Brisbane are probably not going to make it.

Just waiting for Essendon to get some tougher opponents and slip, just like Geelong have

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries

Compare the pair

Looks like Brisbane are in a bit of trouble. Should be ten points out of the eight at the end of the round, with a fair few key players injured. Though strangely, they're also only ten points out of the top four.
    Find it interesting that Hawthorn beat have beaten good sides in Brisbane, Bulldogs and should have won against Port Adelaide. Yet we smashed them by 74 points.

Senior Player
    Good comeback by the Dockers in what wasn't a great game to watch for the most part. I dozed off and missed the final siren.

I expect the usual reactionary articles from media pundits about "ending the draw" now that we've had 3 this season. Prior to this round there have been 168 in 16496 games of V/AFL; still close to averaging one per year (and 2-3 is not unexpected). As usual people get excited about the unusual, not the 200+ games a year that are not draws.

I did enjoy this recent ABC article on the topic, and the "draw song"

Why the AFL should embrace the draw and have a song to celebrate them

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Good comeback by the Dockers in what wasn't a great game to watch for the most part. I dozed off and missed the final siren.

I expect the usual reactionary articles from media pundits about "ending the draw" now that we've had 3 this season. Prior to this round there have been 168 in 16496 games of V/AFL; still close to averaging one per year (and 2-3 is not unexpected). As usual people get excited about the unusual, not the 200+ games a year that are not draws.

I did enjoy this recent ABC article on the topic, and the "draw song"

Why the AFL should embrace the draw and have a song to celebrate them
    That's excellent and I do like how they captured the late nineteenth/early twentieth century feel of most club songs. And why shouldn't that be played over the PA, so everyone can have a nice sing along when your team wins two points.

And personally, I see no real need to get rid of the draw. I think most people are able to rapidly get over their disappointment at their team not winning, by reflecting on the fact that it was actually an exciting game that was worth the admission price and that two points are better than one.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just waiting for Essendon to get some tougher opponents and slip, just like Geelong have
    It's quite odd how people are talking up Essendon when most of their wins have been against bottom teams.

Even those wins are not impressive with several close finishes. St Kilda 4 points, Adelaide 3 points, West Coast 6 points, Richmond 12 points. Some of their wins have larger margins, but so have their losses. Their percentage of 104 shows what they have done.

I expect Essendon will make the finals, but probably not the top four.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    It's quite odd how people are talking up Essendon when most of their wins have been against bottom teams.

Even those wins are not impressive with several close finishes. St Kilda 4 points, Adelaide 3 points, West Coast 6 points, Richmond 12 points. Some of their wins have larger margins, but so have their losses. Their percentage of 104 shows what they have done.

I expect Essendon will make the finals, but probably not the top four.
    It would be perfect for them to finish in top four and take a double chance from a better team, then go out in straight sets

Senior Player
    Yes, someone being allowed to have a wrestle for five or ten seconds, while their opponent is trying to play on, is one of my pet hates. Along the same line, is players almost always being able to tackle an opponent to the ground, if they're deemed to be in the marking contest when a mark is taken.
    My favourite is a player can win a car by taking Mark Of The Year putting their knee into an opposition player's back or the back of
    their head whilst taking their speccy, but it's a free against if they brush up against their back during the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    My favourite is a player can win a car by taking Mark Of The Year putting their knee into an opposition player's back or the back of
    their head whilst taking their speccy, but it's a free against if they brush up against their back during the rest of the game.
    Plus 1 KT. Weird anomaly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast