Thread: Essendon runner - John Barnes

Senior Player

Essendon runner - John Barnes

Did anyone else notice how much time Barnes spent on the ground yesterday? I reckon he was on the ground standing still mostly for at least 70% of the game.

If you watch closely (can't pick it up on TV) he always runs where the ball is going when the opposition has the ball. He basically fills holes preventing a clear run for the opposition.

I really think it is time the AFL monitored this - I reckon a runner should only be allowed on the group for say 5 minutes a qtr.

As it is now Barnes is the 19th Essendon man on the ground!

Spot on we were discusiing that last night, it was disgraceful, he was just hanging around the packs giving instructions and coaching.

When is an umpire going to have the courage to pay a free kick for that, I mean he was blatently filling in space goalside!!!!!!!
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    This is Sheedy's ploy from way back, using runners to plug a zone, I must say I did not notice yesterday, probably had my head in my hands at the umpies too much...
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

BLT Razzle Dazzle
    Sheedy doesn't stop with runners. He's known for using the waterboys to plug holes too.
    We all dream of a team of BLTs!

I thought that waterboys and runners were not allowed to disrupt play!

I did see Barnsey in the middle of play, and patting the players backs!!!!

Well we were playing SNDon/Umps yesterday. So mad!!!!

Originally posted by Schneidergirl
    I thought that waterboys and runners were not allowed to disrupt play!

I did see Barnsey in the middle of play, and patting the players backs!!!!

Well we were playing SNDon/Umps yesterday. So mad!!!!
    Yep he just hung around the packs all day. Looks amazing on the replay, gotta be impressed with his aerobic capacity, coz he made a lot of contests
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

I wonder if a good countertactic is when he is filling space the forwards should simply run at the spot where he is and make contact with him. Free kick against Essendon.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Or get our runner to man him up!

Originally posted by dendol
    Or get our runner to man him up!

Yeah, I'm sure Plugger could be talked into it, could probably do with a run about now.

Craig O'Brien?

on Fox League Teams they were having a go at him a couple of weeks ago about having a free paid for getting in the way. Not sure if it happened or that was their unhanded jab at the time he spends on ground.

I think Snapper should line him up next time.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace