Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans Captaincy

Interesting idea Charlie.
    Don't know if it would work, but might be worth looking at.

Perhaps a team of 5 or 6 'motivators' which IMO is basically what a captain does anyway.

Anyway, I always say it is hard for us to pick a captain, because he isn't just a good player (although he need to be able to hold his place in the team)

I have seen Crouch trying to fire up the team when they were down. And he played in the midfield which I think is desirable (although not the be all and end all)
    I enjoyed seeing that.
    So I of course am going to stick with Crouch as my pick.

In the end though, the right person will be picked by the club and I will be happy with their choice.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I was formerly of the opinion that we should nominate 2 or 3 players as vice-captains, with the assumption being that they were the ones in the running to take over when Maxi either retires or steps down.

Not now... there's simply so many viable options... that limiting it to two or three would only be shooting ourselves in the foot. Players like Barry Hall and Brett Kirk, who weren't in the running a year ago, are now. That's a credit to them and an indication that we have such diverse leadership - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Combine Crouchy's self-discipline with Hall's powerful personality, Jude's selflessness and Willo's experience, add a touch of O'Loughlin flair, Kirky's persistence and Goodesy's self-belief... the 'leadership' becomes more than one man - even Paul Kelly - could provide.

I think the current leadership team is made up of Mathews, Williams, Maxfield, O'Loughlin, Barry, Bolton, Schauble, Ball, Crouch, Kirk and Goodes. I'd like to see Hall, Saddington and Kennelly join them, as all are capable... some may rise their eyebrows at Saddo and Tiger, but they've long said 'leader' to me.

Some may say 'too many chiefs, not enough Indians' - I don't see it that way. I think if someone has leadership qualities, they should be encouraged as much as possible to exhibit them. If that means that 34 players are in the leadership team - excellent.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Originally posted by hemsleys
    I said to a friend when Jude Bolton, first started he will be our next captian!!

So, I was wrong but I still think he will be our next Captain. He might thrive on it and become the superstar that we all hope he can be.
    Yeah I remember having the same feeling about him when he first showed up. 99 was such an appalling season, but he was a glimmer of hope on the horizon for us that year. He'd definitely be in the running.

Large leadership groups are certainly the way to go, and it's good that we now have enough leaders to cover most areas in the game. But I still like the symbolism of having one man in the top job.

I reckon the captain should embody the soul of the club. He's gotta be the guy that even the stars in the team turn to when the scoreboard starts to look ominous.

Stewie's doing a fantastic job. But if I had to nominate a successor, that player is Kirk. Discard to champion. Never stays down no matter how hard he's hit. Phenomenal work rate.

The ripple effect that went through the boys when he rose to his feet after Byron smashed him in the final says it all really.

Crouch for me
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

Captain Kirky for sure.

The guy is gutsy, courageous, determined and a born leader. The way he gets up after being knocked down in inspiring.

He plays a consistently good game which for mine is a crucial facto in a captain.

For me it's either Crouch or Kirk. Crouch because he reminds me of Maxfield in terms of work ethic (and because he's the only Swan I've ever met and was a complete and utter champion) and because he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders; Kirk because he's just a tough nut, and you don't have to look much further for inspiration. To think that Roosy told him he'd have limited opportunities when he took over as coach

As for Barry Hall - as much as I like the guy, I think Saturday reinforces why he's not yet ready to be captain. Sure, he got the rough end of the deal on a whole heap of umpiring decisions, but to me he just looked like he lost it and was basically a liability towards the end of the game. I've got no idea if he did anything to Grant, but something must have happened. Sometimes he seemed so intent on telling the umpires off that he took his eyes off the play, when he could have been applying pressure in the forward line. He's not quite there yet, imo (but credit to him for getting where he is - if he wants it bad enough I think he could get it).

Goodes/B1/Fosdike/O'Loughlin seem to me to be players who can't afford the extra pressure that being captain would put on them, but I'd love them to prove me wrong.

Wouldn't mind giving it to Schuable or Williams, but gut feeling says they're too old.

Originally posted by Alec

The ripple effect that went through the boys when he rose to his feet after Byron smashed him in the final says it all really.
    You know, that was one of those precious moments in our history that sends a shiver down my spine. The only ones that rank with it that I've seen are Cressa's mark in the goalsquare vs Hawthorn, 1996, Plugger's point two weeks later and Stuart Maxfield kicking that last goal to get up against the 'Roos in '99.

I couldn't believe it when it happened. Can't believe it now. Byron's still trying to work out if it happened.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Originally posted by Charlie
    You know, that was one of those precious moments in our history that sends a shiver down my spine. The only ones that rank with it that I've seen are Cressa's mark in the goalsquare vs Hawthorn, 1996, Plugger's point two weeks later and Stuart Maxfield kicking that last goal to get up against the 'Roos in '99.

I couldn't believe it when it happened. Can't believe it now. Byron's still trying to work out if it happened.
    "Precious" is just the word Charlie. Coaches spend years trying to manufacture the kind of stardust Kirky pulled out of the bag instinctively that day.

I still get a weird feeling just thinking about it. Loved that add they ran on Fox Footy for a while that showed the whole recovery in slow motion. We could use a rerun over the coming week I reckon.

On the Rookie List

Thumbs up well

1: Jude Bolton
    2: Barry Hall
    3: Adam Goodes
    Brett Kirk and Jude Bolton.....need i say more???

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by BAM_BAM
    Crouch for me
    Surely you've forgotten someone else?

I don't think we have an outstanding candidate at the moment, demonstrated by the fact that there are lots of possibles but no-one that really jumps out and says "pick me". Hopefully the time the decision needs to be made (with any luck not until the end of 2005 at the earliest) someone will have emerged from the pack. At the end of last season I thought Goodes and Bolton had seriously put their hands up but based on consistency of form this year, I now think both need a bit more time to really cement their claims.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    my two cents worth...

if Schaubs comes back well I would like to see it go to him. I'd like to think he will have another few seasons in him, and the captaincy might extend it an extra year if we are lucky

if Maxy skippers next year as well and Nicky D could put together consistency for the rest of this year and then for next I would love it to go to him because

1/. he is a Sydney boy
    2/. it would really stick it up Eddie
    3/. pretty much perfect age

love to see Kirky get it, I always forget how old he is... which I don't really think is to his detriment in the number of years he has left because he started playing at the elite level very late

Originally posted by Barry Schneider
    Leo Barry for me.Our most courageous player.
    yeah, but he's nutcase......
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast