Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans Captaincy

On the Rookie List
    As of today, Goodesy is still our best ambassador but he is still learning alot about the game and you do need a wise head out there.

Willo or Bally would have been perfect but both of those blokes are as ancient as Stuey.

Crouchy's stocks have lifted but both he and Kirky would be a surprising choice. Kirky has enough to concentrate on and Crouchy is not quite there yet.

I think that Mick's reputation has been tarnished and he will remain in the background for the rest of his career.

In 12 to 18 months Goodesy will be the right man for the job. He has the intensity and desire to succeed.

Originally posted by monopoly19
    For me it's either Crouch or Kirk.

As for Barry Hall - as much as I like the guy, I think Saturday reinforces why he's not yet ready to be captain.

Goodes/B1/Fosdike/O'Loughlin seem to me to be players who can't afford the extra pressure that being captain would put on them, but I'd love them to prove me wrong.

Wouldn't mind giving it to Schuable or Williams, but gut feeling says they're too old.
    All good points made Monopoly!

To be honest I have never thought about Crouch being captain... but I agree with what you said on him.

IMO Jude could thrive being a captain, it may give him the edge he needs... just my opinion.

I also think Schneider could become a great captain, given a few years (he's not ready yet) but come the time Stuey retires he could turn into a great leader.

Veterans List
    Originally posted by Schneidergirl
    IMO Jude could thrive being a captain, it may give him the edge he needs... just my opinion.
    Nope, mine too. And he presents really well which is becoming more important every year. And, as you say, it could be the kick along to his improvement.

But I suspect that the players will already know who they regard as their best leader and the captaincy will be made that way. Fair enough, too.

The more I think about it, the more it has to be Captain Kirk.

1) He is the single most consistent player in the team. He has won his postion what, 30 times out of the last 35? So he has the performance record required.

2) He has got there through hard work, determination and brainpower far more than natural talent. In other words he has used his heart and mind to get the absolute best out of the raw material he was born with. If you could say that about 22 players wearing the same strip you would be talking about a premiership side.

3) He is tough....and again he wasn't born brawny, he is just tough.

4) He is team orientated. He has almost single handedly changed the way every fan and commentator views tagging midfielders. Why? because when he plays on the opposition's number 1 the Team comes first.

5) He is very honest. Witness his columns he writes for Optus where he does not shirk the issue of when the team is playing badly.

6) He does not get mired in "everything is wrong, oh whooeth us." he just acknowledges what is so at the moment and suggests ways to change it. He is the perfect Roosey player.

7) He thinks outside the square and does not speak in useless footy cliche (like Buckley for example)

8) He is extraordinarily intelligent and articulate for a footballer. Witness the Optus columns again. The reason this is so important is that it implies that he is some chance to be able to communicate succintly to younger players what he wants from them and how they can play better. (Crawford is a great player, but IMO can't translate that into making a difference in other player's games unless they are just able to copy him)

9) He plays in the centre where he is an example quarter after quarter.

10) He is tough. He never gives up. He takes charge. Witness being concussed by Kerr....dragged from the field wobbley.....angrily looks back out on the field and raises the victory sign. Translation? Not "I'll be alright in a couple, can I come back on then, Roosey?" but "I WILL BE COMING BACK ON IN TWO MINUTES, LADS, SO HOLD THE FORT TILL THEN, OKAY!"

As I say this is taking charge, taking resposibility, leading from the front, not being beaten under any circumstances.

We do have many options to consider as captain...but I don't think you could seriously suggest that Jude or Crouchy, or Schaubs or Bazza or Goodesy would be better than the Captain right now.

Something else to consider - when you talk about Jude or Goodesy or Schneids you are talking about leadership "potential." (they have lots of it). Kirky is leading RIGHT NOW. He is in his prime. We should use it. Let Adam, Adam and Jude hone their leadership skills over the next 3 years and then one of them can take over after a fantastic apprenticeship.

Just because Kelly was so young is no reason to have a very young captain.

Simply ask, with whom as Captain will we see the team achieve highest results next year?
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Originally posted by lizz
    Surely you've forgotten someone else?

not possible!!!!!!!!. But would anyone take anything I say serriously if I posted that
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

Kirk for me this guy already leads by example and would take it in his stride other players such as Goodes may be overwhelmed with the captiancy

Originally posted by BAM_BAM
    not possible!!!!!!!!. But would anyone take anything I say serriously if I posted that
    Hehe - I haven't taken anything you've said about Pebbles seriously since I worked out where your nickname came from!
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Aren't people overrating Schaubs a bit? Surely he couldn't be captain. He's a good, serviceable footballer and I admire his work with charity, but I can't imagine him ever being captain.

The more I think about it, Kirk is the one.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

schuable is prolly too old... if maxfield goes a year or two mor especially
    Theres not much left to say

Originally posted by Plugger46
    Aren't people overrating Schaubs a bit? Surely he couldn't be captain. He's a good, serviceable footballer and I admire his work with charity, but I can't imagine him ever being captain.

The more I think about it, Kirk is the one.
    yep, totally agree there

Also, I'd love for Maxfield to play for a year after he lets go of the captaincy.
    To help ease the new (and probably much younger) captain in and relieve some of the pressure the will endure with it in the first year.

Just makes sense as far as a handover goes IMO.

Don't like multiple captains at a club as a general rule, but maybe having both Stewie and the new one co-captain for a half a season would be sensible.
    IMO
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Originally posted by gloveski
    Kirk for me this guy already leads by example and would take it in his stride other players such as Goodes may be overwhelmed with the captiancy
    Excellent point, Gloveski. The Captain would take it in his stride... (maybe with a few gentle nods of the head and a half smile).

Goodes and Hall for Vice Captains (then you have a designated leader for each section of the ground, too!)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Well I guess that's the end of this discussion

Headline in the HUN......

"It's got to be Captain Kirk say Bloods supporters"

I think I should look for a job in government lobbying.

Headline in the HUN

"Rising Star Bevan to wear treasured #14."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast