Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On the Couch - What a joke......

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by hammo
    Walls has led the charge about the Swans being boring and ruining the "aesthetics of the game". He rarely mentions the exciting aspects of Sydney's play or dares give Roos credit for being the innovative and daring coach that he is.

All I can say is that I am glad I am not a Fremantle fan. The Dockers cop more criticism on that couch than any other club.
    Could have fooled me, Robert Walls was full of praise for Roos when he wrote this a few weeks back!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...om=moreStories

Walls seems to get a thing for teams and players, and it swings wildly from week to week and from season to season.

As for the Brown, of course it should be wrestling. If Hall did the same thing, which is always possible, we would be livid if he was suspended for that.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    Good. We don't need to read/hear how good the Swans are. Neither do Roos and the team. I does not fuss me that we get pretty much ignored by the Melb media. Lets face it, the Swans could win the flag and it all we would hear from Melb would be drivel about salary concessions, and all we would hear from opposition fans would be garbage about the Swans 'rugby' style of footy being bad for the game. Who cares? Let them eat cake...

That said, some more coverage in Sydney/NSW media, and in depth coverage discussing the sublties of the game, would not hurt. League is vulnerable I think, and Swans success could bring a few converts.
    Exactly! All this bitching "Melbourne Media, Melbourne Media" blah, blah BLAH! How droll. Look in your own backyards. Your papers can't even get the swans on the back page, and last time I looked, Sydney's home ground was, believe it or not, IN SYDNEY! Go figure /shrug

BTW, try checking out the Perth media... Don't hear me bitching about that though do you?

More to the point is that On The Couch is a National program sponsored by Foxtel and packaged Australia wide as that. To have them not dedicate fair national coverage across the clubs is what's upsetting. Because the consumers are paying to see interviews, games and stories, about their club. The coverage should be made fairer, and Foxtel should be held accountable.
    If u don't believe me, I will knock your bloody teeth out and not pay you a cent.

i dont get to watch on the couch much, but isnt healy generally pretty good towards us? but yeah i would definitely have to agree with foxtel and how they should be catering for a national audience
    Roosy = LEGEND

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Healy to me always shows a bias towards any team that the Swans are playing.
    I think someone must have upset him at the Swans and he has never forgiven them.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by plumber dan
    Healy to me always shows a bias towards any team that the Swans are playing.
    over compensation

he still is a swan

IIRC:

mike: who do you regard as the premier forward in the competition?

walls: tredrea.

healy: i'll stick with my old club and say hall

that was about 2 months ago on 'on the couch'
    C'mon Chels!

Originally posted by Tooth Fairy
    Exactly! All this bitching "Melbourne Media, Melbourne Media" blah, blah BLAH! How droll. Look in your own backyards. Your papers can't even get the swans on the back page, and last time I looked, Sydney's home ground was, believe it or not, IN SYDNEY! Go figure /shrug
    They were on the back page of the Sun Herald on Sunday.

If there is no bias from the Melb media then why would there be only 4 photos allocated to the Swans game in the HUN gallery when the other three matches got 12 each?

News LTD would rather let league prosper up here.
    Last edited by Dave; 7th September 2004 at 05:21 PM.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

News Limited understands where the butter comes from for its bread. In Melbourne, its AFL, in Sydney its League. In Melbourne, it serves them no good to try to take down AFL. In Sydney, they probably give AFL better coverage than does Fairfax.

Originally posted by Dave
    They were on the back page of the Sun Herald on Sunday.

If there is no bias from the Melb media then why would there be only 4 photos allocated to the Swans game in the HUN gallery when the other three matches got 12 each?

News LTD would rather let league prosper up here.
    Well said.

The age also does not share the attention around to Sydney.

All last week they ran stories about the other three games, and had one little article about the swans.

Living in 2005
    I am dissapointed with Fox Footy because they are Melbourne centric but are a national network.

I wouldn't expect "The Age" and "The Herald Sun" to give the Swans anywhere near the amount of coverage given to the Melbourne clubs. Even with our history and supporter base, it wouldn't make sense to give the Swans coverage over the Bulldogs.

To be perfectly honest - positive, negative or bias newspaper coverage in melbourne does not affect the Swans that much at all. Our hype needs to come from Sydney newspapers.

In terms of News Ltd conspiracies....I can bet you that the Swans would get more coverage in Sydney during these finals than the Storm will get in Melbourne during their finals....this despite the Storm being owned by News Ltd.

Veterans List
    Originally posted by penga
    they obviously ran out of time. they wouldve structured it to give even time but didnt get the chance.

anyway, you know whats going on at the club, you know who is playing well. why do you need media to make up your mind for you? who cares what they think anyway, how will their comments make a skeric (sp?) of difference to this weekend's performance of our boys?
    I care because it is part of the psyche of an avid footy follower. It is not a matter of making up you're mind for you, it is getting as much of what you love whenever you can.

I grew up with:

Thursday night teams on 3DB.
    Friday night footy panel previewing the games on both ABC and CH7.
    Game on Saturday.
    Footy panel at 7.00pm on ABC after matches.
    World of Sport on Sunday.

Couldn't get enough of it and still can't.

I guess when you are indoctrinated from an early age then it is a bit like religion, it sticks. But then footy is my religion.

Wasn't the Ch 7 League Teams with the 3 wise monkeys (Lou, Jack and Bobby) on Thursday night.

I still remember Jack saying "I haven't been to one brothel in Melbourne" and Bobby responding with "Which one?"

Do you remember that Ch 7 also used to have a football panel in the sports section of the news after the games on Saturday, a bit like World of Sport, and had people like Jack Edwards, Frank Adams, etc.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast