Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plugger on BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBH

Senior Player

plugger on BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBH

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/foo...E19773,00.html

Plugger: Hall of fame beckons
    11 April 2003 Herald Sun
    AAP

A NEW attitude is all that stands between Sydney spearhead Barry Hall and the game's elite, according to goalkicking great Tony Lockett.

"He has got unlimited ability, Barry Hall. He probably doesn't realise himself how good he could be," Lockett said ahead of the Swans' clash with Adelaide at the SCG on Sunday.

"If he can just learn to change a couple of little things in his game, he could be one of the best."

Speaking at the launch of former Swans captain Paul Kelly's autobiography in Sydney yesterday, Lockett said the key for Hall was to not get sucked in by opponents.

"His whole game is terrific, he's got presence," Lockett said.

"There wouldn't be a backman in the league that would want to play on him. They might say they do, but deep down I don't reckon they do.

"So all of a sudden he's always got an advantage over his opponent.

"He just needs to make that a positive not a negative, don't get sucked in by them, by the tactics.

"The way he plays, he's going to get decisions against him as far as umpires, I was the same myself.

"Once he learns to tone that down a little bit and put all his energy in the right areas, he could be a very special footballer."

Lockett said Sydney had to beat the Crows to get their season back on track.

"It's very important for the club to come out and win this week and be 2-1," he said. "You wouldn't want to see one win and two losses after three rounds. We really need to fight back now.

"We get a win this week and it goes a hell of a long way in fuelling the confidence amongst all the players."

But the Swans' inexperience following the retirement of players like Kelly and Lockett could give rise to some erratic form.

Kelly believes inconsistency is something Sydney fans may have to get used to this year.

"I think we're going to have a season like we've already had in two rounds, we were real good one week and not so good the next," he said yesterday.

"That's what you get with a younger group.

"Hopefully some of the players come on a little bit quicker than what we expect and we might be a bit better than that, but I think that's where we're going to be."

Senior Player

Re: plugger on BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBH

Originally posted by penga
    Kelly believes inconsistency is something Sydney fans may have to get used to this year.
    isnt that what we have got used to over the years???

i think bazza does has the potential to step up! imo, i think his overall game is better than plugger's ie he's way more versatile!

Re: Re: plugger on BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBH

isnt that what we have got used to over the years???
    Put up with, but never get used to!!

i think bazza does has the potential to step up! imo, i think his overall game is better than plugger's ie he's way more versatile!
    In what way?
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I reckon Barry can play a few more positions than Plugger - thing is, Lockett was SO GOOD at being a full forward, you hardly needed him elsewhere

Barry's not as good a mark, or kick - but his work off the ground is phenomenal for such a big, ugly boke.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Senior Player
    Originally posted by desredandwhite
    I reckon Barry can play a few more positions than Plugger - thing is, Lockett was SO GOOD at being a full forward, you hardly needed him elsewhere

Barry's not as good a mark, or kick - but his work off the ground is phenomenal for such a big, ugly boke.
    Depends which kick you're talking about. At goal, certainly not (although I do like his action more ). But his general kicking and ability to pinpoint players is second to none.

Senior Player
    bazza's vision for his teamates is about 700% of what plugger had, id like an assist stat brought into footy, u might see how many he actually sets up

bazza, imo should improve his catching and get a bit of a longer kick and he should be pretty right... i like it when he does actually kick for goal he has a lot lower trajectory than most, if he can get that radar right he will be a beautiful kick for goal

Don't underestimate just how good Plugger was at ground level at his best either - for a guy his size, his touch was brilliant with balls around his ankles.

If we were to discover some extra spearheads in front of goal, if the situation required, BBBH could be used at CHB (St Kilda used him there occasionally).

Trying to compare BBBH with Plugger is a bit difficult overall IMHO, just because they played very different types of games, so I personally won't bother and just say I'm happy to have had 2 outstanding polayers playing for SFC in recent times.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

There is one glaring weakness in BBBH's game, and he won't be an elite player until he fixes it up... his overhead marking is atrocious.

Charlie

bazza's vision for his teamates is about 700% of what plugger had, id like an assist stat brought into footy, u might see how many he actually sets up
    That's not true. Plugger was very good at assist goals, however he was also better than BBBH at kicking them, and had less assistance in his forward line for a lot of his career.

I think a lot of people underestimate Plugger. He could easily have played a variety of positions, however why would you move one of the greatest full forwards to every play the game. He was just as mobile and quick as BBBH when he was younger, and had excellent touch and kicking ability.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Imo , I reckon gaining the services of bbbh to sydney is just about as big as gaining plugger to sydney back in 95.
    He means more to the side currently than I think more people realise.
    Plugger was spot on in his comments.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

Senior Player
    im not downplaying plugger at all, i just personally like bazza a bit better... thats my opinion only however... i realise that plugger has a few more runs on the board

im not downplaying plugger at all, i just personally like bazza a bit better... thats my opinion only however... i realise that plugger has a few more runs on the board
    No biggy - but it depends on whether you saw him in his early StKilda days - amazing to watch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast