Thread: Richard Hinds' take on the captaincy

Veteran Site Admin

Richard Hinds' take on the captaincy

http://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Its-t...584965035.html

I reckon he's got it right. Kirk's been the most consistent, almost certainly leading the B&F at the moment and his best is very very good.

I still have hopes for Goodes in the longer term but reckon the Captain is the right man at the moment.

Blog Entries

Re: Richard Hinds' take on the captaincy

Originally posted by liz
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Its-t...584965035.html

I reckon he's got it right. Kirk's been the most consistent, almost certainly leading the B&F at the moment and his best is very very good.

I still have hopes for Goodes in the longer term but reckon the Captain is the right man at the moment.
    Kirk Led By example on Saturday nite, esp. in the last qtr his tackling/desperation seemed to take step up. He wanted to win that game, more than anything I reckon. Signs of a good leader. Now he needs to kick those all important captain goals as well, which he missed on Sat.

On the Rookie List
    Dearest Log

Captain Kirk has got a desperation for achievement that great leaders must have. He has impressed to date.

1st Mate Barry Hall has that as well but Kirk is more team oriented than Hall and that's fine by me too.

Hall seems to be well suited for VC because he's that tough guy who will protect his team and ship's captain with his life.

Yours
    Anonymous salty

Senior Player
    Well structured and insightful article by Hinds. His best in a long time. I really believe that Kirky has firmed as the logical choice. Nothing against Bazza or Goodesy but I feel a courageous midfielder in the thick of the action has greater opportunity to inspire. I also think the point Hinds makes about his NSW origin is a valid one.

I too believe he'd be leading the B & F at this stage of the year, and it would be a great reward for his consistency over the past few years if he could finally land it, particularly after two years as the bridesmaid.

Come on Roosy, hand it over and forget about this rotational captaincy rubbish.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    Originally posted by snajik
    Well structured and insightful article by Hinds. His best in a long time. I really believe that Kirky has firmed as the logical choice. Nothing against Bazza or Goodesy but I feel a courageous midfielder in the thick of the action has greater opportunity to inspire. I also think the point Hinds makes about his NSW origin is a valid one.

I too believe he'd be leading the B & F at this stage of the year, and it would be a great reward for his consistency over the past few years if he could finally land it, particularly after two years as the bridesmaid.

Come on Roosy, hand it over and forget about this rotational captaincy rubbish.
    As all the Tory mumblers said last night: Hear Hear!!

Good post.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Captain's log, star date 2939.1.

Number One is having a few problems. He says its nothing but his performance in the gunnery post had many shots spraying wide. One cannot miss too many shots with limited ammunition lest we lose the battle. Will try him out in the engine room for a few days to see how he settles down.

I miss the Klingon. He was good company but his fondness for gakh turned a few stomachs at mealtimes. His insistence on their being served live was a particular problem. He claims that that's the proper way to serve them, but I think he just did it to be annoying. But I still miss him.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    Captain's log, star date 2939.1.

I miss the Klingon.
    Great post!!! Who's the Klingon?

Veterans List
    While I would've been delighted to see the Cap'n get the job permanently I don't particularly have a problem with the proposed rotation system. Think it gives an opportunity to validate the so-called leadership group & everyone a chnce to show their wares.

Apparently, I may be Robinson Crusoe in this view tho.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Originally posted by Jimmy C
    Great post!!! Who's the Klingon?
    Warfe.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    Warfe.
    Duh?

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar

Re: Richard Hinds' take on the captaincy

Originally posted by liz
    I reckon he's got it right.
    Which bit.

For the record he said:

[In reference to the rotation] "Those options are understandable and, in the second instance, even revolutionary."

"One of the reasons coach Paul Roos chose Kirk to deputise for Maxfield twice this season was that he did not feel the role would affect his game. Yet, in a pleasant way, the coach was proven wrong."

"Another query about Kirk's credentials is his apparent off-field eccentricity."

And then he gave a list of all of the pros and cons of each candidate.

So when I read it, what he "got right" was that he thinks Kirk is the best candidate (and I agree with him) but the coaches and board are undecided enough to warrant a "trial by fire" selection process. At least he was unbiased enough to give a frank assessment of the situation.

Pros and Cons

BEN MATHEWS

For: Brave and forthright. Well respected by teammates. Against: Lowest-profile candidate; not as influential in games.
    They forgot to mention AGAINST: "Supporters think he is useless"
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.