Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question on the captaincy

A question on the captaincy

With Baz to toss the coin and give the pre-match address next week (Rd 12) and then Goodes, Bolton and Mathews to do it for 2 weeks each in Rds 13-18, what's the deal for Rds 19-22 (and the finals if we make it that far)?

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Suspended by the MRP

Re: A question on the captaincy

Originally posted by Mike_B
    With Baz to toss the coin and give the pre-match address next week (Rd 12) and then Goodes, Bolton and Mathews to do it for 2 weeks each in Rds 13-18, what's the deal for Rds 19-22 (and the finals if we make it that far)?
    I think it will be like the half time coke and pie competition.

Hold your boots up at half time, get picked out in the crowd, and lo and behold you are captain next week !!!

Veterans List
    After saturday's game there is only 1 choice as Captain. Barry Hall.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Nico
    After saturday's game there is only 1 choice as Captain. Barry Hall.
    I don't know if Saturday's game was anything much for anyone to brag about, except for Malceski who can say he kicked a goal in his first AFL game which assisted in a win. I hope he's feeling completely wrapped himself btw.

I agree with you though. Baz should be the Captain. Great on-field presence, and continually developing a strong off-field one too. In fact-put him down as Captain for the next TOTC!

I really think it's too early to call it. Remember, each captain has two games, and thus both games count. Hall is 1 from 1 and I must admit, I was very surprised at how well he did. He actually ran for the ball, similar to the non-complacent Hall we saw a few seasons ago...

But he still has another game to go. And I think it must be tough only getting such a limited window of opportunity in which to prove yourself, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. So the moral of the story here kids, is not to get ahead of yourself. I feel it's best to review the captaincy following next Sunday's game...
    And you can't find nothing at all,
    If there was nothing there all along.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm not sure we should be judging a captain by how much they lift on the ground while having their turn. Don't we want these guys giving their all each and every week (which I reckon they try to, by the way).

Hall was good at the weekend but it was far from his best game in the R&W.

Goodsey said on Before the Game that the leadership groupdon't know who's turn it is to be skipper.He said that Roosy comes into the meeting on the Monday morning and walks up to the the chosen one and shakes his hand.

In the Sydney market the Captain must be able to work with the media, have a presence on the field and generally be a figurehead in the eyes of the public. His role as a team motivator is less important IMHO. He needs to be able to promote the swans to get bums on seats and be able to get people to come and watch games.

The market is fickle and over crowded with football teams. The likes of Hall/Goodes could do that but not sure about the rest.

Blog Entries
    Maybe they will choose the 2 (or 3) best candidates to do the final 4 rounds (and finals).

Originally posted by ScottH
    Maybe they will choose the 2 (or 3) best candidates to do the final 4 rounds (and finals).
    That would be my guess. The best two (ie, almost certainly Kirky and Baz) will be shortlisted and given another two rounds.... then a captain for the finals (yes, assuming we make the finals) will be decided after that.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Originally posted by smasher
    Goodsey said on Before the Game that the leadership groupdon't know who's turn it is to be skipper.He said that Roosy comes into the meeting on the Monday morning and walks up to the the chosen one and shakes his hand.
    I wonder if they use the name drawn from the hat or a more fancy lottery-type machine...
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I wonder if they use the name drawn from the hat or a more fancy lottery-type machine...
    I believe it is done by mathematical analysis of posts on RWO, weighted by the credibility and post count of the poster, to produce a psuedo random selection algorithm.

Or it could just be a consensus among the coaching staff.
    Last edited by j s; 6th June 2005 at 11:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast