Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating captaincy and form

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

Rotating captaincy and form

After round six, we were 12th on the ladder with a 2-4 record. Since then we have won 9 games out of 11. This period of improved form has coincided with the period of the rotating captaincy.

Is it just a coincidence, or has the rotating captaincy been a masterstroke?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar

Re: Rotating captaincy and form

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    I'll take option B please.

Empowerment always generates massive rewards, in any team culture. Nevertheless, leadership still requires one focal point, so we will still see a permanent Captain soon enough.

I am tipping though that the current Leadership Group may be modified to include "Captains" for zones (backs, midfield, forwards). This way there is one strong voice in each area to marshall the troops and co-ordinate a set strategy.

But how much effect does the captaincy have on the game?
    Vicky Pollard: Oh my god I so can't believe you just said that this is like the time I threw Anita's nokia in the canal as a joke and she's like you have well got to buy me another one and I'm like get over it and then Paul came over who's adopted anyway and started saying that I fancy Mark Bennett but oh my god just because I have sex with someone doesn't mean I fancy them.

Veteran Site Admin
    Insufficient data to determine answer.

'Tis worth noting that we had pretty ordinary starts to both 2003 and 2004 campaigns yet found better form and consistency later in the year, both times without any rotating captaincy.

Originally posted by liz
    'Tis worth noting that we had pretty ordinary starts to both 2003 and 2004 campaigns yet found better form and consistency later in the year, both times without any rotating captaincy.
    Agree - says to me that we need to try and have some pre-season form under our belt so that the consistency kicks in earlier resulting in a chance at a top 2 finish (where backended winning streaks aren't required).

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Re: Rotating captaincy and form

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    After round six, we were 12th on the ladder with a 2-4 record. Since then we have won 9 games out of 11. This period of improved form has coincided with the period of the rotating captaincy.

No, we just had our captain out on the ground playing a full game.

Nothing to do with rotating captaincy, more to do with how the Swans prepare for the season. After 7 rounds, a 3-4 record has been normal for us over the last 3-4 years, don't run into any really decent form until after round 10. (R13-14 in 2002)

The approach of giving all the kids a run in the Wizz Fizz Cup and subsequent trials and maybe other factors (like having development players like LRT in the team) have meant that we are not right on top form at the start of the season.

Ideally, Swans would be up for a red hot crack every single game they play. But I would hate for us be a downhill skier like the Dee's - start the season on fire and end with a whimper. Better to be in the finals and firing come September.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

BLT Razzle Dazzle
    Originally posted by Old Royboy
    But I would hate for us be a downhill skier like the Dee's - start the season on fire and end with a whimper.
    That's a result of spending too much time skiing the chutes at Mt. Buller.
    We all dream of a team of BLTs!

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Mike_B
    Agree - says to me that we need to try and have some pre-season form under our belt so that the consistency kicks in earlier resulting in a chance at a top 2 finish (where backended winning streaks aren't required).
    It's very hard, though, to be "up" for a whole season. You have to have a very very strong squad, lots of luck with injury and loads of confidence to do it. Even the Lions have had slowish periods during their threepeat, and never even finished top of the ladder.

Given that we have far from the perfect squad at the moment - ie lacking a couple of tall, strong backmen and a really classy midfielder - where we are at the moment is probably the best that can reasonably be hoped for.

We're in better nick than this time last year in terms of the confidence and type of football being played - ie the game plan is still based around pressure and closing up the opposition but in the second half of last year the MO was to get a few goals ahead and then completely shut the game down.

The evenness of effort, the decision making / skill level, and the sense of resolve about the team in recent weeks has me feeling as good about the team's chances as I have since 1998. Even in 2003 the PF came a bit out of the blue.

Injuries remain the key. We had the stuffing knocked out of us in 2003 by the injury to Ball and, to a slightly lesser extent, O'Loughlin. This year we've been remarkably lucky so far and it remains to be seen whether that keeps going. The sight of Leo sitting on the bench during the 4th quarter on Sunday would have worried most of us.

I think our record is very interesting.

I used to get frustrated in tight games seeing Maxi sitting on the bench and used to comment "pfft fancy the Captain being on the bench when it's so close"

Now we have a captain(s) who lead from the front, take the game by the horns and break it open. As opposed to sitting on the bench watching.

Blog Entries
    I think it means everyone is playing the butts off trying to get noticed, so they get the nod!!!

Interesting that while Matthews was captain we had two one point margins for one win, one loss.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast