Robbie Ando?s 2003 Official Unofficial RWO Phantom Draft Version 1.2

Priority Round

1. Western Bulldogs - Adam Cooney (West Adelaide)
The Bulldog?s won?t pull any late surprises and make Cooney their number 1 pick of the draft. Widely tipped from midseason to go at Number 1, he has explosive speed and great balance. Will play next season as he already has played senior football in the SANFL.
2. Carlton - Andrew Walker (Bendigo Pioneers)
While he isn?t the 2nd best player in the draft he is the kind of player Carlton wants to build its list for the future. Medium, inside midfielder who is athletic and evasive. Has a strong aerobic capacity to run and carry the ball forward. Strong overhead. Will go in the Top 5, but this is the player Carlton wants and they will get him
3. Melbourne - Colin Sylvia (Bendigo Pioneers)
With Melbourne wanting midfielders and more importantly hard at it midfielders, Sylvia is the one they want. Has been compared to Michael Voss and should become of the best players in the league within 5 years. Medium, inside forward/midfielder who is a tremendous tackler. Player who leads by example. Great work ethic and very competitive. Had outstanding 2003 season winning All Australian U18 honours, TAC Cup coaches award and Pioneers B & F Award.

Round One
4. Western Bulldogs - Farren Ray (Peel Thunder)

My first change from the original Phantom draft, where I had him going at Pick 9. Since then his name has come up in most people?s books as the logical number 4 pick. It seems the Bulldogs have decided that instead of a tall they want an inside midfielder to go with their huge stock of outside midfielder. Medium, inside midfielder with creative talent and good athleticism. Strong and brave in the air.
5. Melbourne - Kane Tenace (Murray Bushrangers)
Melbourne as I said above need midfielders and the next best available is Tenace. Getting him and Sylvia is very good trading for the Dees and in a few years they will have one of the best midfields going around. Medium, inside midfielder who has exceptional pace and ball handling ability. Can break free in a pack situation to run and carry the ball forward. High possession winner who always hits targets.
6. Essendon - Brock McLean (Calder Cannons)
Essendon are very high on this kid and will shock many people by selecting McLean at number 6. Medium, inside midfielder who is strong player at the contest. Great leader who is prepared to bring other players into the game. Can go forward and kick goals and has great awareness.
7. Geelong - Kepler Bradley (West Perth)
See him as a back up for Captain King in the ruck and a possible option up forward such is his ability to play anywhere on the field. I had him higher but it seems none of the first 6 picks want talls, just midfielders. Tall, outside ruckman who is athletic and has endurance. Good ball winner. Winner of the Larke Medal for best Division One player at the National AFL U/18 Championships. All-Australian U/18 in 2003.
8. St Kilda - . Raphael Clarke (St Mary?s - Darwin)
So dearly wanted to join his brother at St Kilda and thanks to other clubs having more important needs, he end up at St Kilda. A year ago was tipped to be the number 1 pick in this draft and had 14 clubs talk to him at the draft camp. Could of gone Top 10 in last years draft if he was eligible. Medium, outside forward who rarely gets beaten one-on-one. Athletic type, with a good aerobic capacity.
9. Kangaroos - Ryley Dunn (Murray Bushrangers)
Really don?t know what North want, some think a tall, some think a midfielder. I?ll go with a midfielder, but there is every chance that North could go with Chaplin. Dunn is a hard at it Medium, inside forward/defender who has great hardness around the contest. Likes it in tight, and has clean hands.
10. Fremantle - Callum Burges (West Perth/Hale HS)
Reports during the season had the Eagles ?hiding? him. While the Eagles denied this was the case, Freo decide to take him before West Coast even have the chance to knowing also that they have another pick after this at 12. it?s a risk no doubt for Freo, but they want to beat the Eagles to him, to rub it into them if he does become a success. Burges is described as an athletic midfielder who is dynamic up forward and a penetrating kick. Extremely versatile he is also very quick and a good mark.
11. West Coast - Troy Chaplin (Nth Ballarat Rebels)
West Coast are looking for all kinds of Key Position players and take Chaplin who they will feel has fallen down to them. I doubt West Coast think he?ll last to them, so I would think if available they will take him as he is a Full Forward and they need one. Won?t be the answer right away, but could figure either late in the season or next season. Tall forward with endurance and versatility. Is composed under pressure and reads the play well.
12. Fremantle - Jacob Surjan (South Fremantle)
Fremantle go with a local junior with their 2nd pick in the first round, and with the need for inside midfielders at the club, he is worth the punt in Freo?s eyes. Fairly small onballer who loves to go forward and kick the impossible goal. He always looks dangerous with the ball and is so elusive he would be hard to close down.
13. Essendon - Jay Nash (Central District)
Essendon shock many people in taking Nash, but they want to give themselves more options in the inside midfield positions and this kids isn?t a big option. Medium, outside midfielder with terrific work rate and excellent finishing skills. Has good football brain.
14. Adelaide - Brent Hall (South Fremantle)
The Crows want a ruckman and they see Hall as the best available in the draft. Hall is one of the best ruck prospects in the draft. His tap work was very good during the year and is also capable of drifting forward and is pretty good overhead. Is the best ruckman in the draft after Bradley.
15. Port Adelaide - Beau Waters (West Adelaide)
Some have said that Port lacked an inside midfielder in their finals lose to Sydney and with the loss of Stevens, they see the need to take the local Waters to fill that gap for the long term. Medium, inside midfielder/defender who reads the play well and has great endurance. Good kick and overhead mark.
16. Sydney - David Trotter (Calder Cannons)
It has become clear to me in the last week that Trotter will go in the First Round and it also has become clear to me that the Swans will use their first pick on a midfielder. So if available the Swans will take the local product. With a lack of depth in the inside midfield, Trotter not only can play this position, with a bit of work, could become the game winner we so dearly need. Medium, inside forward/defender - running player who reads the game well. Uses the ball well and can go forward and kick goals.
17. Collingwood - Billy Morrison (Tassie Mariners)
Collingwood are after players with heart after the Grand Final showing, but what kind of players in unknown. What I feel they needed was another solid tall forward to take the pressure off Tarrant and put the pressure back on the Brisbane defence. So with their first selection the Pies take Morrison who many believe was a top 10 selection, but a season ending injury to his shoulder has seen him slip to pick 17. Basically he is a full forward, although he can play back if needed.
18. Brisbane Lions - Fergus Watts (Sandringham Dragons)
Clearly the Lions are looking to replace Lynch so with Watts available at their first pick the Lions will bite the hand off the AFL to pick him up. Clearly one of the better tall forwards available in the draft. Tall, inside key forward who is an outstanding contested mark. Very competitive player has good skills and endurance. A real steal for the Lions who seem to do no wrong in the draft since winning the first of their premierships.