Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
I quite like 'jumper' myself!

I think cutting words from other sports and pasting them into our unique Aussie rules is an echo of the 'cultural cringe' that has bedevilled many aspects of our lives since federation. For some reason we are still looking to other codes and other sports and other 'everything' as though their way is better and that we should adapt whatever we do in order to be 'cool' relative to them. The uniqueness of our game and traditions are 'old hat' and to be despised. Now, for instance, at the AFL Grand Final, we have to be 'entertained', usually meaning some Hollywood or American style stuff that has no relation to our game of footie. Who is it that demands that we have an overseas singer or band, who have never seen a game of Aussie rules, to 'entertain' us. I would prefer to sing Up there Cazaly, or the Holy Grail, or some other footy related anthem 100 times - but at least have an Australian band or singer. We should be seeking to grow or build on all the little AFL traditions - that to me would gain more respect from others than trying to make ourselves clones of other codes!
Stupid entertainment - I'd rather watch a curtain-raiser and forget about the other stuff altogether.