Some interesting conversations coming out of the grand final debate recently.

Since NSW isnt going to host it, and very unlikely that any NSW based team would 'qualify' to host it, we can discuss in a neutral manner.

What I found very intresting was a comment I heard, where the Victorian sport minister was involved in deciding the venue. Surely this is an AFL matter, or is the code owned by the victorian government?

There is also a political play here, in that the MCG and Victorian do not really want a "successful" grand final, as it will put more pressure on the MCG deal, and they do not really want a situation where the venue can be decided very late, because again, it will showcase the ability to 'earn hosting rights' to the grand final.

So the options are:
1) Gabba - While QLD has helped the AFL, I'm not sure this is really a strong case. I can see the AFL giving them the preliminary finals, but not the grand final.
2) Optus Oval - Probably the most likely venue to actually host a full house since they have no border to Victoria. And WA was the first established state to join the VFL, and had to put up with many finals in Melbourne in the early years. So they also deserve it.
3) Adedlaide Oval - Another great venue to host it, and Port look like being No.1 team, and therefore earning it.

I hope the AFL delay the decision until the teams are decided, even if this means a two week period between prelims and granny. And whoever is the higher qualifier of Brisbane, West Coast or Port, gets it. There must be a lot less to organise this year.