Much like last week, Saturday afternoon sees a clash between 17th and 18th, but this week it's Hawthorn that's 17th. For some reason, despite it being in Launceston, I'm getting an inkling that the 0/8 North Melbourne might break their duck. Perhaps it's because of Kennett's statements this week, on how Hawthorn are likely to be big players in the next couple of drafts and how they did that successfully, back in the early noughties. While some could read that as a none too subtle hint that, they're about to start tanking, I think it's probably more of a recognition of how bad a shape there list's currently in. It might be trying to head off any perceived future criticism, if they lose to North? Perhaps a way of saying to their fans, (many of whom developed a certain amount of smug self-entitlement during the three-peat years) 'yes, we know it seems bad, but really, it's part of the overall master plan'.

The first game of the round is St Kilda v Geelong. The fact that I'm a bit undecided on who I want to win this, is probably a reflection of my not being confident of our own form. If I thought we were flying, then it would definitely be 'go Saints': as that would give us a bit more chance of getting into the top four, at Geelong's expense. On the other hand, I'm thinking, that maybe we need teams on the fringe of the eight, like St Kilda, to lose and give us a better chance of sneaking into the eight. Then again, now that I think of it, 'go the Saints'.

We host Collingwood in Saturday's first game. I wish I could feel more confident, even though we're strong favourites. Maybe it's our overall poor record against them? Maybe it's our somewhat inconsistent form? Though I probably should feel more enthused, as this week, our changes are likely to be a player or two coming back from injury, rather than the destabilising two or three players going out through injury.

The Saturday twilight game is the Q-clash. I'm going for the Suns in this. Brisbane are more of a threat to our position and I would like to see a Gold Coast side, manage to shake off the city's reputation as a sporting graveyard. Don't know why the lack of success has occurred? Don't really buy the argument that there's too many hedonistic distractions. Sydney has better beaches. Melbourne and Sydney have better night life. Actually, Adelaide probably has better night life. No idea what Perth's night life is like? Perhaps it's okay, if you like amphetamines?

The next game is Richmond v GWS. Seems an important game; with both teams being at 4/4. While I wouldn't say that the loser is in trouble, at 4/5, making the top four starts to become problematic.

The other Saturday night game is Port v Western Bulldogs. If the real Port show up, it should be a high quality, intense finals preview type of a game.

Sunday starts with Essendon v Fremantle. So far this year, Fremantle haven't travelled well, which gives Essendon some sort of chance of climbing out of the bottom four.

They might be replaced in the bottom four by Carlton; who take on the high flying Melbourne.

And finally, as is almost tradition, the last game of the round is Perth, where West Coast host Adelaide. West Coast are very short at $1.09. Which I suppose is about right, as they've been good at home and Adelaide's early promise is starting to fade into the distance. But still, an upset would be a nice conclusion to the round.