Thursday night football returns with Port hosting Geelong. Despite my indifference to playing football on Thursday, I am interested in this game. It's one where we might get a bit more of an inkling, as to who's a genuine premiership threat. It's also has a bearing on our table position, in that if we beat Hawthorn, we'll be one game clear of the loser (although they would have a game in hand). I'd probably prefer a Port win. Geelong have won their last four, so I don't really want to see them gathering any more momentum, and Port to me, seem to be less of a threat, or at least, more inconsistent.

We get to play a Friday night game at the SCG against Hawthorn. We're short priced favourites in this, but I'm slightly nervous. Mainly because we're coming off two six day breaks, while Hawthorn have been resting up with the bye. Let's just hope that Clarkson has been distracted by who they might get with pick one or two; or whether the Collingwood coaching job is an attractive career change. Otherwise, he might be spending his time plotting our demise, and drilling the fundamentals of that plot into his players. Though of course, the current Hawthorn roster, might not have the ability to carry out his cunning plans.

The first of two Saturday games, is Fremantle v Gold Coast in Perth. In regards to injury, these two have recently headed in the opposite direction. The wheels rapidly fell off Fremantle's season last round, when Fyfe, Cox, Darcy and Logue all went down in quick succession. While Gold Coast should be boosted by the return of Bowes, Day and especially, Rowell. While they've never been great travellers, that might be enough for them to get up and preserve their faint finals hopes.

The Saturday night game is St Kilda v Adelaide in Cairns. Let's hope they convert a few more locals with a decent game. Which is possible, if both sides have one of their better days. But it's also possible, that one or both of those sides, don't turn up.

The Sunday afternoon game is North v GWS. Since I rate GWS as the side outside the eight, that's the most threat to our position in the eight, I would love to see an upset North victory; but I can't really see that happening.

On Sunday night it's West Coast v Richmond. The injury plagued West Coast was too good for Carlton last week, but Richmond are obviously a much tougher proposition. But probably the most important thing here, is: if we beat Hawthorn, we'll be two games and percentage clear of the loser.

On Monday, it's Nathan Buckley's final game, when Collingwood play Melbourne at the SCG. Which I'm almost as indifferent about as Thursday night football. On the one hand, I'm sure that he's worked hard and that he's been competent enough to keep a very difficult job since 2012. On the other hand, to me he just appears to be a bit bland. I don't recall listening to one of his press conferences and thinking, yes, that's really intelligent or I've never really thought of that. Nor has he made me laugh. And he's never really pissed me off, like some other coaches often do. He's just been filling the role in a serviceable manner. And his last game will probably go the same way. I'm sure Collingwood will fight hard, but I can't really see them giving him a rousing send off, with an upset victory over a very good Melbourne side.
And it should be noted that the Big Freeze will be in Sydney this year. AFL luminaries, such as, Jeff Farmer, Daisy Pearce, Billy Brownless and Ray Chamberlain, will help raise the money, that enables more medical research into the extremely debilitating motor neuron disease. I think everybody involved would be thankful that it's not taking place today. Diving into a pool of ice, is probably bad enough when it's 15 degrees and partly cloudy, but 9 degrees, rain and wind, would make it even more of a challenge.