Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final vs Melbourne Demons @ MCG Match Thread

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There is a such a difficult trade-off to consider and try to weigh up.

Do you bring in an experienced head like Cunningham, who will bring that seasoned pro element to it, reliable and pretty dependable, but not the same type of player in terms of being (when on form) able to break lines and open the game up. Or do you stick with McInerney and back him in, on the hope, despite his form not being at his highest level, that he can roll out a couple of moments of magic when needed.
    It's a fair question, but not sure Harry will take his spot - which is wing, and the immense running involved, particularly defensively. It'd require Harry to play down back, which is his best spot, and Ollie to push back up to a wing, or Blakey maybe. But Ollie's finally found his groove down there, and I'd be loathe to unsettle the defence right now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not blindly defending McInerney here. But I'm just thinking through the challenges of the team structure.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It's a fair question, but not sure Harry will take his spot - which is wing, and the immense running involved, particularly defensively. It'd require Harry to play down back, which is his best spot, and Ollie to push back up to a wing, or Blakey maybe. But Ollie's finally found his groove down there, and I'd be loathe to unsettle the defence right now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not blindly defending McInerney here. But I'm just thinking through the challenges of the team structure.
    I understand that Cunningham is better off in a defensive role, but people forget he has a laser kick and is a good runner. Sure he migthnt be as flashy as McInerney but I think you are underselling his assets which are speed, endurance and good kick.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I understand that Cunningham is better off in a defensive role, but people forget he has a laser kick and is a good runner. Sure he migthnt be as flashy as McInerney but I think you are underselling his assets which are speed, endurance and good kick.
    Oh yes, and I'm a big fan of Harry. He's easily the hard luck story of the team's stability and performance over the last eight weeks.

Anyway, here's another good story on Rowbottom for those interested.

AFL news 2022: James Rowbottom Sydney Swans leader, interview, captain chances, stats, draft, finals win over Melbourne Demons

Veterans List
    Titus's weekend review is now out.

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/the-...s-week-one2022

Some pearlers:

"It’s September, which means it’s Gary Rohan time."

"You can overcomplicate these review things; Sydney was simply better and more desperate, Robbie Fox proved that several times in his Gandalf moment."

On the Lions/Tigers goal review: "People need to admire the fact that the AFL can get things wrong in both digital and analogue forms, quite the achievement.

If the AFL had been in charge of building the ark in the Bible, not a single thing would be alive today."

"Moments later the siren went, and so shocked was everyone at this turn of events, they played the Richmond theme song like this was a Crows pre-season camp."

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Coaches votes are in, and May gets a 10. Parker 8, then of our guys Rowie, Mills and Lloyd 3 apiece.

Gary Ayres Award: Three perfect 10s, Cats star's shock result

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Coaches votes are in, and May gets a 10. Parker 8, then of our guys Rowie, Mills and Lloyd 3 apiece.

Seems about right.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Opti-pessi-misti
    Serong earned 10 votes, (sigh), and Rohan, (its never too late to turn things around), a 9!

I doubt if Buddy will need any extra motivation in a preliminary final, but if he does, May getting a 10 might be it.
    And I'm actually quite pleased that the ginger ninja got 9 votes in the Geelong/Collingwood game.

I saw it slightly differently. I thought he did a good job of minding Langdon and curbing his ability to get into open space and use his powerful running, and laid a few strong tackles in the last quarter. It's not the first time he's played this role well. I for one had assumed for a bit it was an injury that was causing McInerney's woes, and maybe he was at one point earlier in the season, but he's still covering the ground, at least defensively.

But I do agree he's completely lost his confidence offensively. Whenever he gets the ball he pauses, even in open play, looks around, and seems to freeze up; rather than go with his instincts or look to dash off when he is in a bit of space. Let's hope he can regain his mojo.
    I see it the same as you. McInerney did his job on Langdon. His work off the ball is superb. It is when he gets the ball that there is an issue currently. Fortunately, we have seen a body of work previously which indicates that this could be a slump and not a constant. Personally, I'd prefer to keep him in the team. Cunningham has not played wing for years and it would be crazy to plug him in there now after winning 8 straight.

Goes up to 11
    It's a pretty good sign if we're talking about McInerney and Buddy being the two 'weak links' (very much in inverted commas) at the moment....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Serong earned 10 votes, (sigh), and Rohan, (its never too late to turn things around), a 9!
    Serong was amazing (and yes I sighed too).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There is a such a difficult trade-off to consider and try to weigh up.

Do you bring in an experienced head like Cunningham, who will bring that seasoned pro element to it, reliable and pretty dependable, but not the same type of player in terms of being (when on form) able to break lines and open the game up. Or do you stick with McInerney and back him in, on the hope, despite his form not being at his highest level, that he can roll out a couple of moments of magic when needed.
    The same-ish discussion could be had re McDonald and Amartey. On balance, I suspect the selectors will decide if it ain't broke don't fix it.