Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: JLT 2019 Game 2: Swans v Suns @ Lismore 1:10pm

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Yep, the Round 1 team will be very interesting. At the very least, there is Buddy, Florent, Lloyd, and Sinclair to come back into the team.

For me, Melican and Ronke are under the most pressure.
    If Buddy makes round 1.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I'm not really buying in to the "Blakey for Round 1" hype, if McCartin is fit. He's clearly talented and will be a gun, but he's a long way off. He hasn't shown consistent forward pressure or hitting contests. Things he'll develop in the system.

Clarke was impressive with his gut running, but will frustrate with decision making.
    Papley was great at breaking lines, but his disposal was terrible - would have been about 35% by foot today.

The back 6 are fine. Melican was very physical live, and will be better for the hit out.

Real uncertainty over what to do with Heeney and Mills. Clearly both thought of as on ballers, but both were spending a lot of time at their usual ends.

Some positive signs with Dawson looking strong and comfortable, and some of the newbies looking like they'll be alright. Hewitt will step up to a new level as well.
    But man, that forward line is a mess. Hopefully Franklin and McCartin provide the structure it's missed the last two weeks, because it's looked shambolic at times.
    I know against the Giants it looked really disorganised. But surely the forward line must have looked better this week. We kicked 122 so that was a, bonus. I have not seen the game. I will rectify that today.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I know against the Giants it looked really disorganised. But surely the forward line must have looked better this week. We kicked 122 so that was a, bonus. I have not seen the game. I will rectify that today.

It looked ugly. No real structure or order, and lacked leadership. We generally kicked goals from quick transitions forward (large amount of midfield goals) and Suns errors.
    When we had structured opportunities to enter, we flooded the 50 and had no real strategy other than hit the hot spot.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Mills definitely spent all game in defence. I just wonder if it was just for this game to replace Lloyd. Jones played midfield.
    Or a leopard can’t change its spots

Interestly Jones and Rampe I felt were heavily involved in our exits yesterday

Longmire said that Jones was involved with our exits

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Or a leopard can’t change its spots
    Or it was 35 degrees in stifling humidity and the coaches didn’t want to wipe out young players before the season even starts?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Heaps of positives this week compared to last week. Blakey , COR and Dawson my standouts and should all be in the side for round 1 IMO.

Allirs effort in the ruck was awesome , it’s nice to know he can play that role , perhaps we will throw him on the ball from time to time to give us a different set up at centre bounces. I just feel he is in for s massive year , an AA year (pun intended ).

Clarke was very good today , in everything and disposal improving. A Real goer, good pick up for us .

Rowbottom will tear up the NEAFL and will get a chance at senior footy this year, mcinerney also.

Oh and Papley. What a star this kid is going to be. From what we saw today this guy could win a Brownlow, quick, attacks the footy at full tilt, links up , bursts away from the contest. Just needs to tidy up the disposal but his addition to our midfield mix gives us a different dimension we’ve sorely needed.

On the negative side , Melican still looks a bit off the pace of senior footy and may need a bit of NEAFL time o build his confidence up.

Reid was okay but needs to be clunking more of those grabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Opposition was a lot weaker than last week with a lot less pressure. Hopefully all the good signs during this game carry over to proper season but we really don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Opposition was a lot weaker than last week with a lot less pressure. Hopefully all the good signs during this game carry over to proper season but we really don't know yet.
    True , but I though In the spirit of balance and fairness I should point out the positives I saw when I called out the giants performance as displaying almost a complete lack of positives for our side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longmire reported there would be a Reserves game this weekend and that Blakey would not play in it.
    I notice that Melbourne played some A graders in their Reserves team this weekend (rather than the top team) on their way back from injury.
    Franklin McCartin and Menzel would make a nice forward line in NEAFL grade competition!
    Any info on where, when and opponent this weekend

My take on the game was that we showed a lot more positive signs than the previous game. Our midfield was much more effective resulting in far more inside 50s than last week. Our ball movement was also much better although we still managed to butcher the final kick into the forwards too often. Papley and Clarke certainly got plenty of the ball and the former showed a lot of dash. I was interested to see that Mills did not play in the midfield given he had been training to do that in the offseason. He certainly seemed more at home being back in defense. Blakey looks a real talent. Reid looked rusty struggling to hold his marks. He just needs more games under his belt. Melican really struggled and for the second time in two weeks was beaten by his opponent. I would imagine that Alir will slot back into defense when Sinclair returns so Melican may start the season in the Reserves. I was disappointed that Rose once again failed to show anything. He is a real letdown. On a more positive note, I thought that some of those newer players fitted in well.

My prediction on the forthcoming season is that if we can have some luck with injuries and have our best players available most weeks then we can play finals again. But we are also vulnerable to injury and could easily slip out of contention.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Longmire reported there would be a Reserves game this weekend and that Blakey would not play in it.
    I notice that Melbourne played some A graders in their Reserves team this weekend (rather than the top team) on their way back from injury.
    Franklin McCartin and Menzel would make a nice forward line in NEAFL grade competition!
    Any info on where, when and opponent this weekend
    Sydney Uni
    Sat 11am
    Henson Park

NEAFL Practice Match Schedule Released

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    About time to resurrect the Best 22 thread, will be some interesting positional changes, Jones, Papley, Mills midfield? A lot of best players to add to today's hit out.

Clarke went at 79% disposal rating today, he's booked himself for R1.
    Be careful with those disposal numbers, as I believe kicking to a contest is counted as an effective disposal, even when the contest is Papley vs Witts (as previously mentioned).

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast